SkyscraperCity banner

2761 - 2779 of 2779 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I've been to Madrid several times and can't ever recall it being 30 degrees at 9pm in the evening...?
The UEFA state this temperature in their match report.

Regarding stadium size if 67k is too small were else do you play it? Real and Barca stadiums can't be used as its too hot apparently. Leaves Allianz Arena, Old Trafford and Wembley?
Barcelona is not necessarily as hot as it is a costal town. And there are always the Stade de France, San Siro and Wembley. Unless someone else dares to build a similar big stadium, one should rotate between those four.

Champions League is already becoming a closed shop for teams entering and qualifying, would be a shame for potential hosts to go the same way.
The biggest game of the season needs to be held in one of the biggest grounds. Not least because of the large quantities of seats which get lost for TV commentators as well as UEFA sponsors. Anything less than 80'000 is just not big enough for this game.

·
Registered
33,254 Posts
^^ Any well equipped stadium > 63k qualifies to host the UEFA CL-final. And that is fine by me. As pointed out the number of stadiums/cities where such a final could be hosted otherwise would be boringly small.

And for many CL-finals a stadium of 200k could possibly be too small. So the line is drawn at 63k, and to me that is a good thing. And the excellent and beautiful Wanda Metropolitano proved itself during this event. :)

·
Registered
12,303 Posts

·
18,220 Posts

Spanish LaLiga football club Atlético Madrid is reportedly exploring plans to build a wide-ranging sports city next to its Wanda Metropolitano stadium.

Spanish sport business news website Palco23 reported that Madrid City Council has estimated that the project would cost up to €59.6m (£53.4m/$65.9m). If the plans are approved, work could begin as early as 2020 and be finished by 2024.

The development would include a new training complex for Atlético comprising eight pitches, as well as a possible mini-stadium that would host Atlético Madrid B and academy matches.

Atlético Madrid B currently plays its matches at the Cerro del Espino stadium in Majadahonda and the new development would see the team incorporated into the Wanda Metropolitano complex.

However, Palco23 noted that a new mini-stadium is not set in stone. Approval for the venue would be dependent on its ability to host Segunda División matches or European-level youth championships, which require a capacity of at least 6,500.

Palco23 added that the new stadium, which could also host Atlético’s successful women’s team, would be located on the southern part of the site near the train station fans use to travel to the Metropolitano.
https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2019/09/05/atletico-eyes-sports-city-development-wanda-metropolitano-site/

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Photos @Atleti

It has already begun to install the aircraft 'Hispano Aviacion HA-200D' that will look on the Wanda
@Metropolitan
in tribute to our brilliant stage as Atlético-Aviacion, in which we won two Leagues.
This Thursday will be officially opened

Fotos @NEstadioAtleti

Photos @Atleti
Outdoor decorative murals

Photos @NEstadioAtleti
Improvements continue in terms of color outside the stadium
(In red). They have also put the access door area in red with white numerology.

In some holes it seems that some illuminated images or some kind of poster will go

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I spent this morning, and the red and wall additives really improve and give the stadium more soul, it wasn't difficult either.
But above all I liked the plane, it looks very good, better than in photos. It lacks a plaque for people outside Madrid (or Spain) understand its meaning, but they will end up putting it

Clic to Enlarge

By the way, the stadium capacity is now officially 68,456
500 more seats than before, some areas have been redistributed and in the upper tier a further row has been added at the end in a high way with a reform with metallic material

Another restaurant is being made in the North, the Museum begins to be built in October. We are going to continue improving the stadium and doing little things for a long time. Apart from seeing that futuristic sports city next to the stadium

--------

Yesterday against Juventus

·
18,220 Posts
The Madrid City Council on Wednesday presented a plan to transform the area around Wanda Metropolitano into a sports city. Above all, the population should benefit from this.

The home stadium of Atlético Madrid still has a lot of unused space around it, but these should soon be used. The site was originally intended for an Olympic stadium, but after the unsuccessful applications, Atlético took on the ruins and converted it into an elite stadium for 67,000 spectator seats.

The city council wants to build an “authentic sports city” around the Wanda Metropolitano. Among other things, the water sports center, which was half-built for the Olympic bid, is to be completed. Construction was stopped in 2010, even though 100 million euros had already been invested. The new sports facilities are to be used by the residents and promote the promotion of popular sports. But major events of other sports could also be brought to Madrid in this way.

The buildings that were built for an Olympiad should no longer be “a ghost of the past”. The citizens of Madrid should be able to use them. Atlético Madrid had already announced in September 2019 that it was considering the construction of an extensive sports city next to the Wanda Metropolitano.

·
Espartano
2,440 Posts
Can this stadium convert itself with an athletics track? Like the Stade de France in Paris? If not where could Madrid host the Olympics if they decided to pursue it in the future?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Can this stadium convert itself with an athletics track? Like the Stade de France in Paris? If not where could Madrid host the Olympics if they decided to pursue it in the future?
It's got the space to do it but only losing the first tier of seats, which would make the seating insufficient for an Olympics.

Reactions: endrity

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
In principle the project is the same one that would be presented for the Olympic Games, a football stadium with the possibility of installing an athletics track covering the lower ring.The stadium without track of athletics fit 75,000 spectators, has been reduced to 68,000 for reasons of comfort.
With a densification of seats in some area there would be no problem in getting an Olympic stadium with a capacity of around 60,000 spectators (the capacity of the stadium in Rio 2016 was 60,000 spectators). There is also a certain height from where the athletic track would go until the 2nd ring of steps. I believe that in that space I had planned temporary stands around the perimeter.
But I think it is a ruled out option because a temporary track installation would take more than 6 months (as it happened in in Hampden Park in the games of the commonwealth) and would leave the stadium disabled for Atlético during that time.

·
7,706 Posts
In hindsight Madrid sort of jumped the gun with effectively abandoning the idea of hosting the Olympics at this stadium after those sucessive failed bids. The IOC can't attract bids for love nor money these days. If Madrid were to express any interest today they would more than likely be sucessful.

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
15,866 Posts
With a densification of seats in some area there would be no problem in getting an Olympic stadium with a capacity of around 60,000 spectators.
Ah, that's how it would work! I know how many seats are normally lost with these kind of conversions and I was at a complete loss as to how it could only lose 8k seats. But that makes a bit more sense now. Pack 'em in! A massive job then, bigger than the conversion at Hampden.

But I think it is a ruled out option because a temporary track installation would take more than 6 months (as it happened in in Hampden Park in the games of the commonwealth) and would leave the stadium disabled for Atlético during that time.
Same reason we'll never see Wembley hosting athletics, even though it too was built to take a platform. Although I have heard noises about another Madrid bid. I guess it'll require compensation for Atletico plus an agreement for them to use the Bernabeu for two seasons. Or else, go with a completely new stadium for T&F. I hope they bid again, it'll be interesting to see how they approach it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I leave the excerpt from an interview that was made to the architects in 2011 in which they indicated the guidelines for obtaining an Olympic stadium of 65,000 spectators (remember that the Olympic stadium of Rio 2016 had a capacity of 60,000 spectators)

- And if Madrid were Olympic city in 2020 or 2024?
"What you have to do is a landfill to raise the runway. A soccer field is 105 meters from north to south. However, an athletics track measures 180 meters, is much larger. Raising the ground about 10 meters and eliminating stands would result in a much larger surface area for the athletics track.
-How would this change affect Atletico Madrid?
- Performing the elevation of the terrain in full season 2020, or in 2024, Atletico could not play the second round. Although we shuffled another idea.
"And what are they thinking?"
-We believe that during the summer before the year in which Madrid was chosen Olympic city could be made the modification. That season would be played with the clues around. The one after the Olympics too. In the later summer the earth would be eliminated again.
"Do you think this is the best option?"
-I do not know if the best, but it is the one that would not force Atlético de Madrid to look for an alternative playing field.
-The elevation of the terrain will mean a loss of localities.
"Yes, you lose about 10,000, the equivalent of the entire lower tier. It would have to change the area of the Presidency, although later we would incorporate some places more.
  • Maybe 65,000 localities are few for an Olympic Games.
  • Modifications can be made to achieve a
Greater "densification" of the steps by reducing the width of the seat. Keep in mind that the Games are in summer and people are not wearing a coat. Without doing virtually nothing, will recover 6,000 more places.

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
15,866 Posts
-We believe that during the summer before the year in which Madrid was chosen Olympic city could be made the modification. That season would be played with the clues around. The one after the Olympics too. In the later summer the earth would be eliminated again.
Yes, this is the other difference from Hampden. For Glasgow 2014, it was a rather clean solution with scaffolding (because it didn't actually need to be raised very high, only 2 metres). In Madrid, they're talk about filling a section of the bowl up with earth! Then, after that, they need to install narrower seats in much of the rest of the bowl. A big job.

That two-summer conversion timetable, allowing Atletico to keep playing there sounds impossible (especially when you factor in the required test events too). It took months to convert Hampden Park. Seems much more likely it'd be two seasons out of the stadium for Atletico.

Anyway, all very hypothetical. Interesting, but hypothetical.

2761 - 2779 of 2779 Posts