Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chinese contractor Sinohydro eyes Bomas-Rongai road dualling contract

Another Chinese contractor looks set to clinch the contract to expand Magadi Road after the government opened negotiations with Sinohydro over the planned dualling of the 23.5-kilometre Bomas-Ongata Rongai-Kona Baridi stretch.

The dualling will be undertaken through the annuity roads financing programme, a performance-based maintenance contract that will hand the selected contractor up to 10 years for maintenance and repairs.

“If a contractor does shoddy work, he will be required to spend his own money to redo the work,” said Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure, Housing and Urban Development James Macharia, speaking during the launch of emergency repairs at the road’s Kwekwe bridge, which he said were an interim measure to make the road usable.

The repairs, expected to last two days, will rehabilitate the embankment eroded at the bridge.

The road is currently under a 24-month performance based maintenance contract which charges M/s Saxon Investment Limited with repairs until April 10, 2019.

The government has also signed an agreement with Intex Construction Company to work on the 91-kilometre Ngong-Kiserian-Isinya-Kajiado road at a cost of Sh11 billion.

Mr Macharia said the ministry has also lined up another Sh4.1 billion to be spent on road repairs in Nairobi’s CBD, Industrial Area and Eastlands as the rains begin to subside.

He added that the ministry will need Sh18.7 billion to renovate the urban, rural roads and highways recently damaged by rains.

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/companies/Chinese-contractor-Sinohydro-eyes-Bomas/4003102-4575418-15nep4dz/index.html
I feel like Macharia is always just talk. JKIA-Rironi is taking two long. All phases should be under construction by now!! Equally construction of Western, Eastern Bypasses expansions and light rail should be underway as we speak! Magadi road is well overdue!! The ministry should not half ass this project. They need to expand Langata road to 8lanes and have 6lanes from Bomas all the way to Kiserian and 4lanes to Magadi. One would have thought the benefits of Thika road were obvious and that most major roads being built post Thika road would have been modeled in same fashion. But we lack a visionary CS ! Crossing my fingers that they build a motorway and hope this will take shape soon. It's been just talks since 2010!:bash:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
^^^^you make it sound like the +100 billion for all these projects are just there waiting for the CS to allocate. JKIA-Rironi is still facing litigation. Phase 2-3 upto JKIA is still moving a slow as world bank will let it. Removing them is another legal minefield. Western/Eastern bypasses expansion is to be launched this year after finances is confirmed with the passing of 2018-2019 budget. The Nairobi commuter rail project isn't exclusively under ministry of transport. Its now part of Nairobi regeneration projects co-chaired by Gov. Sonko and CS Balala that brief President Uhuru every month on progress. This will be a PPP project and timelines aren't yet firmed up since a lot of moving parts are in play simultaneously. Expansion of Langata road would be good but other areas need it more I.e dualing to Machakos, Kiambu and Ngong.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^^you make it sound like the +100 billion for all these projects are just there waiting for the CS to allocate. JKIA-Rironi is still facing litigation. Phase 2-3 upto JKIA is still moving a slow as world bank will let it. Removing them is another legal minefield. Western/Eastern bypasses expansion is to be launched this year after finances is confirmed with the passing of 2018-2019 budget. The Nairobi commuter rail project isn't exclusively under ministry of transport. Its now part of Nairobi regeneration projects co-chaired by Gov. Sonko and CS Balala that brief President Uhuru every month on progress. This will be a PPP project and timelines aren't yet firmed up since a lot of moving parts are in play simultaneously. Expansion of Langata road would be good but other areas need it more I.e dualing to Machakos, Kiambu and Ngong.
What are you talking about? Commuter rail is exclusively under ministry of transport. Nairobi regeneration is not a ministry and does not control a budget.Lol.This is adhoc team created as an "emergency" measure to cordinate all govt resources to sort out the dire mess in Nairobi due to the FAILURE of transport ministry and county!!. If the ministry of transport was doing what its supposed to do over the years, this team would not have existed today!
Did you know the ministry of transport has had yearly budget of 200+B with 310B set aside for 2018/19.That is over a trillion in the last 5years but you are going to mention 3roads as reason why we havent had enough investments in Nairobi.Ngong road was actually a grant fully financed by japan.You haven't been to rongai if you dont think this route should have been done 10years ago with thika rd.
Lets face it..fact is govt miserably failed to invest in Nairobi infrastructure over last 5years.For a county that generates 60%of the gdp only 'major' road infrastructure they can show over last 5years is outering and ngong road all which were and should have been done under kibaki!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
That argument of Nairobi consist of 60% of GDP and therefore should consume majority of budget is what led to the majimbo movement for decades until devolution was introduced. Yeah rongai-kiserian is OK but widening langata road!!!?!!! Kenya ni kubwa, 46 other counties just wishing for low seal tarmacked roads instead of earth roads. Either way, my point is clear its not down to one person to exclusively decide on all these projects.

·
01001101 to bits
441 Posts
No need to argue really, because both of you have valid points.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
As for the JKIA -Rironi, it was ok for Kibakis admin to blame it on WB when it did not kick off same time with Thika rd as planned.Almost 20 years now and we still do have it moving full gear??If that is not incompetency, i dont know what to call it. SGR was planned and implemented way after when this was scheduled to be done.Did you also know southern bypass was part of this project but minister then(franklin Bett) was smart enough to chop it off as seperate project.By now this should have been done..no excuses. Problem is we Macharia was not keen to implement and do Nairobi projects.Same dude said BRT was not viable when outering and Ngong roads were being constructed and now running around painting red lines. I had given him benefit of a doubt and thought he was to put money on light rail instead, but to date nothing!About time when invest in the cow that gives us 60% of the milk. As much as we all support devolution cannot run away from the fact that if you chock NRB all the other counties will starve. You forget that there are many parts of nairobi where we dont have any tarmac and places 70%of places concidered "tarmacked" is just as good as having no roads

·
Registered
71 Posts
As for the JKIA -Rironi, it was ok for Kibakis admin to blame it on WB when it did not kick off same time with Thika rd as planned.Almost 20 years now and we still do have it moving full gear??If that is not incompetency, i dont know what to call it. SGR was planned and implemented way after when this was scheduled to be done.Did you also know southern bypass was part of this project but minister then(franklin Bett) was smart enough to chop it off as seperate project.By now this should have been done..no excuses. Problem is we Macharia was not keen to implement and do Nairobi projects.Same dude said BRT was not viable when outering and Ngong roads were being constructed and now running around painting red lines. I had given him benefit of a doubt and thought he was to put money on light rail instead, but to date nothing!About time when invest in the cow that gives us 60% of the milk. As much as we all support devolution cannot run away from the fact that if you chock NRB all the other counties will starve. You forget that there are many parts of nairobi where we dont have any tarmac and places 70%of places concidered "tarmacked" is just as good as having no roads

I agree with most of your points BUT where did you get this 60% figure from?? sounds like guesswork:shifty:

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats the figure given by govt officials. I thought with the sonko shenenigans all over the news..how many people in govt have said nairobi generates 60%of gdp? Its the official figure/notion. Remember for every food product growm mashinani farmer reaps very little in terms of profit.Bulk of value /profits are made and stay in urban cities..through the value chain. So this figure might not be 100%correct but gives you an idea of how important NRB running smoothly inpacts the rest of the country. If nrb comes to a halt, virtually almost everything else in country will come to a halt too...economically

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nairobi contributes 13% to GDP studies showed.Nakuru County contributes 11%,Kiambu County 10% and Nyeri County 8%.Mombasa punches well below its weight and having lived there I can atest to it-retail is small,no manufacturing or very tiny,even agriculture almost non existent
I thought kiambu was ranked ahead of Nairobi ,I guess I was wrong

one of the reasons Mombasa was ranked so low is because they used images from space at night to estimate electricity consumption or something like that ...this did not do Mombasa any justice because it is so small and almost negligible from space.that's why counties like kwale were ranked higher than MSA and kiambu ahead of NAI(if my memory is correct).looking at revenue collection per county Nairobi is always ahead followed by MSA then NAKS or Kiambu so I don't think my home county will be that far behind(maybe I'm biased)

Either way the study gave us an idea about the economy of counties and defeats the notion of an all powerful Nairobi.

back to magadi road

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Where do you get your figure from.Name one person that has ever quoted that figure. At least i can say kidero said it, sonko said it, cs macharia and balala.murathe ktn ntv have been saying this .lol
Now lets get back to magadi rd
There's plenty of government and private sector data that hints at ~30%. Such data can be benchmarked against similar data from countries that publish sub-national GDP stats.

There's no political leader or government official that has ever explained where they get the 60%. It would also be a super extreme distortion even when compared to the most centralized countries in the world.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Apart from small manufacturing in thika and kiambu town what else would put kiambu contribution ahead of Nairobi or mombasa?
Real estate in Kiambu being a satellite town for Nairobi and agriculture with the coffee and tea farms plus flower farms and other crops.Mombasa just depends on the port and tourism(which had been in decline for some years).There are no malls.Kiambu has more malls.When you work in Msa maintenance or ICT guys have to come from Nairobi.All banks are headquartered in Nairobi.Equity or KCB have two or three branches in Mombasa while Kiambu County has more.Real estate projects are much fewer in Msa.Granted Msa is smaller in size but economic activity is lower and can do much better and stand on its own.It is a city(population-wise) but too dependent and can claim its rightful status

·
Registered
323 Posts
Folks forget that Kiambu has more than three centers which could dwarf other county headquarters. For instance, Kiambu has, Kiambu, Ruiru, and Thika. The latter two are industrial and agribased. Coffee, and pineapples, flowers. Kiambu has coffee and tea.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts