SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Magdeburg is the capital city of the Bundesland of Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. Magdeburg is situated on the Elbe River and was one of the most important medieval cities of Europe. Emperor Otto I, the first Holy Roman Emperor, lived for most of his reign in the town and was buried in the cathedral after his death. Magdeburg's version of German town law, known as Magdeburg rights, spread throughout Central and Eastern Europe. The city is also well known for the 1631 Sack of Magdeburg, which hardened Protestant resistance during the Thirty Years' War.
so sayeth wikipedia

Magdeburg in July 2012, this friday

Kaiser Otto I., the first Holy-Roman-German-Emperor

1940-1950s East German architecture

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Cathedral of Magdeburg (German: Magdeburger Dom) is the oldest Gothic cathedral in Germany. Today it's the principal church of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany. One of its steeples is 99.25 m (325 ft 7 in) tall, and the other is 100.98 m (331 ft 4 in), making it one of the tallest cathedrals in eastern Germany. The cathedral is home to the grave of Emperor Otto I the Great.

·
Premium member
9,960 Posts
Wow nice. Really had no idea how Magdeburg looks like. Very underrated IMO.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Interesting and partly beautiful images of a former grandiose city that was hit extremely brutal in the 30 years’ war and then again in WWII.

With the reconstruction of the inner city in the spirit of the 50`s and 60`s Magdeburg lost again a part of its identity even if some reconstructions have been effected in this time.

But nevertheless as the pictures show the city progressed in the last 20 years and there are some nice corners!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I left the city with an ambivalent impression. Medieval buildings, commie blocks and neoclassicism side by side, wide streets and narrow path with little systematic order, partly confusing and and headache inducing. However, the city is clean and well organized like most East-German cities.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts