SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
500kmph
Why don't build a maglev line like shanghai to Bengaluru airport and connect with city?
Well, Shanghai Maglev is a show piece basically runs in a loss. And people are debating over viability of regular metro and HSR. Maglev will not be feasible in India anytime soon. Only reason to build it would be to show case the technology. (That was why Shanghai Maglev was built in the first place).

·
Registered
623 Posts
I came across another type of transportation technology. I'm not sure how legit it is:

Terreplane

It sounds like maglev with overhead track. Though the website claims its cheaper (?) and faster.

Can any engineers or scientific people make comment on whether this seems reasonable?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I came across another type of transportation technology. I'm not sure how legit it is:

Terreplane

It sounds like maglev with overhead track. Though the website claims its cheaper (?) and faster.

Can any engineers or scientific people make comment on whether this seems reasonable?
That's another Gadgetbahn. The problem with any suspended rail is safety - you can't open the door and ask folks to jump on to the tracks. They'll need to jump down to the ground.

this is more about BHEL and its search for relevance. They want a nice expensive project to reverse the long term slide in their fortunes
Ummm not exactly. It makes a lot of strategic sense if we go the Chuo Shinkansen route. Chou Shinkansen uses electrodynamic suspension aka EDS (which is better than the monorail style electromagnetic suspension aka EMS). EDS is more efficient compared to EMS and vs. EMS, you can turn up and down superconducting magnets along the route after the train has passed - which bring operation costs down significantly. The only draw back of EDS is superconductors, you need them to be super cold.

However, IISc is the leader when it comes to superconductors (even the US has noticed it) - it will give those research scientists a way to commercialize their research. If we can deploy a test track with IISc superconductors, then we have immediately created a market for cheap efficient superconductors. We could be suppliers for Chuo Shinkansen. I guess BEML might be eyeing that.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That's another Gadgetbahn. The problem with any suspended rail is safety - you can't open the door and ask folks to jump on to the tracks. They'll need to jump down to the ground.
Yes, that does seem problematic and something I had not considered. There are plenty of ropeways across the world though and they are building more in India.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Should be a purely private venture in India. The technology is not in extensive use, with just a handful of maglev trains in operation around the world. And with bhel also involved in the assembly of a few shinkansen train sets for the ahd mum route, no point in their getting involved in such projects.
Tata, ambanis, etc. can form a consortium and build a short route in some metro , on a purely commercial basis.
The lack of investment by these so called MNCs in the sunshine industries in India is shocking.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Should be a purely private venture in India. The technology is not in extensive use, with just a handful of maglev trains in operation around the world
We have an opportunity to leapfrog and get ahead on the game. We have a huge lead in superconductors which is what Chuo Shinkansen tracks are built upon. We have already sunk in a lot of public money into superconductor research, pour in a little more money into commercializing it and we can be the trackset builders of the world.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
We have an opportunity to leapfrog and get ahead on the game. We have a huge lead in superconductors which is what Chuo Shinkansen tracks are built upon. We have already sunk in a lot of public money into superconductor research, pour in a little more money into commercializing it and we can be the trackset builders of the world.
please continue and construct fantasies in your head

·
Registered
615 Posts
It's linked in my first post. NSA considered hacking into IISc to get a hand at the superconductor research. They couldn't get approval to conduct that operation.

Edit: Here - Snowden Doc Search

(S//REL) India and Russia are pursuing high-
temperature superconductivity, which would
yield a significant economic advantage to the
first adopter. But four separate streams of
intelligence, when put together, yield a new
insight—the two countries are working together.

(S//REL) Sustained reporting from open and
clandestine sources enables a team of experts
from the IC, academia, and industry to assess
the likelihood—moderate—and impact—high—of
a breakthrough by India and Russia. Counterin-
telligence reporting suggests the two countries
are not very interested in U.S. superconductivity
efforts, which may indicate they believe they
have a secure lead.

(S//REL) The IC makes separate clandestine
approaches to India and Russia to break up the
partnership. It conducts cyber operations against
research facilities in the two countries, as well as the
intellectual "supply chain” supporting these facilities.
Finally, it assesses whether and how its findings
would be useful to U.S. industry.
This was back in 2009 before IISc announced their high temp superconductor breakthrough.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think that it was a year or two ago that scientists at Indian Institute of Science Bangalore claimed to have demonstrated a room temperature superconductor, though some other scientists doubted the results. I haven't heard anything further about this. If true, this could potentially reduce costs of maglev.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts