SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Ayatollah
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello again, folks. I recently returned from an 8 day trip around the Flemish area of Belgium (+ Brussels) and Amsterdam. Here's some pictures from Brussels.

The Royal Galleries of Saint-Hubert, one of the earliest shopping arcades in Europe. It was built in the early 1900s and renovated in the early 1950s.

Grand Place, and the Town Hall within it. This was built in the 1400s in the Brabantine Gothic style (Brabant being one of the primary cultural regions of Belgium).

around Grand Place

Grand Place was bombarded by the French in the 1700s, and the only surviving building was the Town Hall. The rest was constucted with the aid of guilds, and planned out well architecturally despite the difference in periods of building and architectural styles. So, most of the buildings in Grand Place tend to be guildhouses.

More to come from Brussels, along with pictures from Antwerp, Bruges, Gent, Amsterdam, and Leuven!

:cheers:

·
Ayatollah
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, and yes, I enjoyed it very much! :)
Antwerp may be the last set of pictures I uploaded, since it was the last city I visited in depth, although I used it as the 'home base' for my trip. I stayed at a relative's house in Ekeren. To be honest, out of all the cities I visited in Belgium and the Netherlands, Antwerp was my favourite. It just has this vibe about the place that makes it fantastic :). Regrettably, though, my camera battery died when I was in Antwerp, so I didn't get as many pictures I wanted to

It was a great trip, thanks for asking.

More pictures soon.

·
Ayatollah
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great pictures! Because they are such high quality I kinda wish you had taken more pictures from districts away from the old center as well, but I guess I can't have it all :)
Yeah, I took a few shots away from the old centre. That was on the second trip to Brussels - I'll post more soon! Thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.