SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ayatollah
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings all, I have just returned from a visit to my hometown of Vasai, near Mumbai, India. This thread will include all my pictures from the trip, including both vernacular and historical architectural works of Vasai and the general atmosphere of modern Vasai. Hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them :)

The first batch are of St. Michael's Church, a Portuguese-built church in Manickpur village of Vasai that celebrated its 400th birthday in 2006. This church has been kept in relatively good condition, although there has been some modification (glass and steel additions, which I'm personally not particularly fond of).

A much newer neighbouring school

New pictures daily!

:cheers:

·
Ayatollah
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What a pretty dish.... was it very spicy?
Nah, it's a mouthfreshener of sorts that's consumed after a meal. Over the centuries the making of paan has developed into quite an art form, and aficianados choose specific types of leaf and a myriad of garnishes for the dish

Nice pics, keep posting. How long did you stay there?
Just a tad under two weeks. Two weeks exact if you include everything from takeoff in Toronto to landing back in Toronto.

Here's a street scene from Vasai, as promised. This is in a shopping street in Panchalnagar, in Manickpur village of Vasai. It was taken on a somewhat flimsy tripod that was pretty short, but it still held up pretty well :) The star in focus in the second picture is typical Christmas decoration all across Mumbai.

:cheers:

·
Ayatollah
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's some pictures of Bassein Fort, erected by the Portuguese and captured by the Marathas in the 1730s. It stands as a very visible testament to the legacy of the importance of Portugal's Indian empire (Bassein was built to protect Portuguese trading interests). Much of it is in ruins now, but the magnitude of the fort and the still evident architectural brilliance still stands out.

An entrance:

and the next:

Cheers,

-Mahratta

·
Ayatollah
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Depends on what you consider 'of Portuguese descent.' After Portugal took control of part of the Konkan following the Vijayanagara-Bijapur war (they allied with Vijayanagar against Bijapur and Goa was their 'spoil of war'), rapid settlement led to an Inquisition. In this, a large number of Hindus and Muslims were converted to Catholicism by force and forced into taking a Portuguese last name (like my family). The majority of Mangalorean Catholics received their situations in this manner.
Then, through the 400-odd years of Portuguese occupation, a proportion of the population that was not Catholic or may have simply been resident converts married into a certain social class of Portuguese-descendants in Goa. These are the Indians with Portuguese descent. Those of purely Portuguese descent (the most favoured under the Portuguese apartheid-esque system prior to Goan liberation) left for Portugal after India liberated Goa from Salazarian rule in the 60s.

Hope that answers your question well enough. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.