Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
UGA1
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1,100 acres in southern Harris County to be transformed into The Grove:

Two of Columbus' oldest and wealthiest families are joining forces to develop an 1,100-acre planned community in south Harris County. The Woodruff Companies and the children and grandchildren of W.C. Bradley are forming a partnership to develop The Grove, which will include nearly 2,200 residential units and more than 3 million square feet of commercial space along Ga. 315 east and Mountain Hill Road.

Housing prices are expected to start in the high $200,000 range and rise to over $1 million. It will include apartments, townhouses, patio homes, larger houses and estates on two or more acres. The project is expected to take 20-30 years to complete. To give people an idea of just how big this development is, it will be almost twice the size of the 600-acre, 550-unit Maple Ridge golf community, which includes a 180-acre golf course.

A conceptual master plan prepared by HighGrove Partners LLC of metro Atlanta shows that most of the residential development will concentrate on the east side of Mountain Hill Road, where two lakes totaling 27 acres are planned. There will be tracts for housing, a community club and greenspace. Nearly 30 acres is set aside for a public school.

The west side of Mountain Hill includes an 80-acre highway commercial tract extending to Ga. 315 and a high-density residential pod.

On the south side of Ga. 315 will be 80.5 acres for apartment/office or general manufacturing, 80 acres for highway commercial, a large area for apartments and another school site.

Here are some of the details of The Grove:

803 single-family units with lots ranging from 2-plus acres to 60-ft. lots

262 high-density single-family lots

386 townhomes

730 apartment units

25 acres of parks

138 acres of greenway system

Two lakes totaling 27 acres

Community club

Community village with retail and services

Two school sites

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Since I am not familiar with the area, I cannot make any comments in terms of the location. It sounds like a huge project though, with some good mix of uses - nice to include space for parks and greenway. Hopefully, renderings will become available soon, for all of us to see ;)

·
UGA1
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This will be the largest development between Columbus and Atlanta I believe.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This project was given final approval on 7/3 and so moves from a mere proposal to the "construction-pending" stage. Not sure when the first shovelful of dirt will be turned, but hopefully it will be soon. I drive right thru the intersection of Hwy 315 and I-185 on my frequent travels back and forth from Atlanta -- so will try to keep everyone posted on any visual sights of progress I spot from the highway.

103 Posts
Indeed. Nicely done Harris County. Now, what to do about Talbot County to the east!?

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
No!!!! Don't develop the beautiful Harris County countryside!!! EEEEK

103 Posts
Why not? Seems as if thats what most suburban GA counties are doing. Namely Houston County in Middle GA and then just about all of Northeast GA from Atlanta's never ending sprawl

·
UGA1
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indeed. Nicely done Harris County. Now, what to do about Talbot County to the east!?
I think Talbot County will see a lot of growth soon. Columbus can only grow north and east because Fort Benning is to the south and Phenix City, Alabama is to the west. Columbus is about built out.

·
UGA1
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No!!!! Don't develop the beautiful Harris County countryside!!! EEEEK
The Grove is the kind of suburban development that you want. It is a planned community which is good. This development is far away from the Pine Mountain/Callaway Gardens area. Most of Harris County's growth will be in the southern and northern portion (by LaGrange) of the county as well as along I-185.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why not? Seems as if thats what most suburban GA counties are doing. Namely Houston County in Middle GA and then just about all of Northeast GA from Atlanta's never ending sprawl
As envisioned, the Grove will be the polar opposite of the usual suburban sprawl. Otherwise,Harris County would NOT have approved. Should be a small town, not cookie cutter subdivision like those that pop-up in N. Metro. Since the developers are local, they have an interest in quality and are not involved exclusively for the purpose of making a quick buck and then moving on to rampage and pillage the countryside. They worked closely and honestly with current residents in the area to relieve fears that the development would be too incompatible with their existing life style. As the result, initial groundswell of opposition was placated (somewhat) and final approval was given with surprisingly little opposition.

Having said that, I have my fingers x'd that the vision becomes the reality and does not become subverted in the execution.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts