Majorelle Garden (Marrakech)
The Majorelle Garden (Arabic: حديقة ماجوريل) is a botanical garden in Marrakech, Morocco. It was designed by the expatriate French artist Jacques Majorelle (1886-1962) in 1924, during the colonial period when Morocco was a protectorate of France.
Though Majorelle's gentlemanly orientalist watercolors are largely forgotten today (many are preserved in the villa's collection) the garden he created is his creative masterpiece. The special shade of bold cobalt blue which he used extensively in the garden and its buildings is named after him, bleu Majorelle.
The garden has been open to the public since 1947. Since 1980 the garden has been owned by Yves Saint-Laurent and Pierre Bergé. After Yves Saint Laurent died in 2008 his ashes were scattered in the Majorelle Garden.
The garden also houses the Islamic Art Museum of Marrakech, whose collection includes North African textiles from Saint-Laurent's personal collection as well as ceramics, jewelry, and paintings by Majorelle.
The garden hosts more than 15 bird species, which can be found only in the area of North Africa.