SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry but I don`t have any pics. I want especially to have a look at the interior designs of the new Alor Setar terminal. Is there anyone who dares to share ?

·
Registered
380 Posts
fairul said:
the new terminal right?
im dying to see that one too..anyone been there before?
how come there's no photos of the new terminal in the paper meh?

This terminal will be another white elephant. There is no demand to justify that.

·
VAMOS RAFA
1,691 Posts
globocentric said:
This terminal will be another white elephant. There is no demand to justify that.
hahaha..agree..and now the state goverment is lobbying Air Asia to turn AOR into a northern hub..lol..
it would be a matter of time that they will start to lobby MAS to have international flights from AOR.. :bash:

by the way..any pics? forumers from alor star? anyone?

·
Registered
380 Posts
johnsonooi said:
Excuse me, can i know the reasons that why AOR is just another white elephant?
Look at Langkawi. Langkawi receives a hell lot more international and domestic visitors compared to Alor Setar but it's airport traffic is still below 800000 , a figure that is lower than the secondary airports in Sarawak such as Miri and Bintulu. The new terminal in Langkawi is designed to handle a lot more passengers than that so it is in effect under utilized and can be labelled a white elephant. The gov tried very hard to lobby international flights to Langkawi but MAS cant sustain it's flights to Japan , HKG and London and cancelled them. The only international route out of Langkawi now is Singapore. If Langkawi Airport fails to meet expectations, what chances do Alor Setar have? Furthermore, Langkawi and Alor Setar are just too close to each other, Kedah does not have the population or purchasing power to sustain two international airports let alone one

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
So, as you said that AOR is just another white elephant, so which airports in this region have the potential to be a nothern hub?

·
12,962 Posts
What Globocentric said is right........the Northern region can only support a single hub because it really doesn't have that many population to begin with. Langkawi's airport is more like a 'resort/holiday destination airport' like the airports of Canary Island or Bali.

PEN make sense to be the northern hub due to is population density and economic influence in the region. Alor Setar is just stuck in between as both Langkawi and PEN is just too close ;)

·
Hellexpress
1,547 Posts
I think Ipoh is too near to KLIA... so it makes no sense too...

Ya, judging from connectivity, I think PEN make more sense to turn into northen hub. See... more international flight and it serves as the cargo centre too.

How many international flight that Langkawi has? In PEN, you have MAS, SIA, KoreanAir, Cathay Pacific, Jatayu, Lion Air, Garuda, China Southern, China Airlines and even Air Asia sister companies, Thai Air Asia and Indonesian Air Asia fly there...

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
i have taken some pics about new AOR airport during CNY. I will post them sometimes since I am combating with my exam now...:D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Alor Setar potential to be a northern hub is not only inhibited by small population, it is also one of the poorest cities in malaysia in terms of per capita income.I think Alor Setar will be the second poorest after Kangar in the west coast of peninsular malaysia. Why built an airport when most of the locals cant afford air travel? Does Alor Setar have any attractions for tourists?No. How can an airport be viable when there are not enough visitors to the city. I think most of the users of Alor Setar will be the locals and their numbers are constrained by income levels. Johor Bahru have a much higher per capita income but it's airport is still struggling. Therefore, any decision to turn Alor Setar into a northern hub will be a political one, not a commercial one. Penang has been plauged by enough political correctness, i dont wish to see any more of that

·
Registered
748 Posts
globocentric said:
Alor Setar potential to be a northern hub is not only inhibited by small population, it is also one of the poorest cities in malaysia in terms of per capita income.I think Alor Setar will be the second poorest after Kangar in the west coast of peninsular malaysia. Why built an airport when most of the locals cant afford air travel? Does Alor Setar have any attractions for tourists?No. How can an airport be viable when there are not enough visitors to the city. I think most of the users of Alor Setar will be the locals and their numbers are constrained by income levels. Johor Bahru have a much higher per capita income but it's airport is still struggling. Therefore, any decision to turn Alor Setar into a northern hub will be a political one, not a commercial one. Penang has been plauged by enough political correctness, i dont wish to see any more of that
very true, the same applies to Kuala Terengganu........does that town really needs an airport?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Nissan_FUGA said:
very true, the same applies to Kuala Terengganu........does that town really needs an airport?
The Kuala Terengganu airport is quite deserted with the exception of a few tourists coming in for the islands off terengganu. However, i've been told that the Kota Bahru airport is actually nearer to the Kuala Besut jetty so most tourists are encouraged to use the Kota Bahru airport instead of KT and the expansion of the airport might just be another white elephant. They should upgrade the airport instead.

1 - 20 of 280 Posts