1 - 20 of 493 Posts

·
Banned
28,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SM-IKEA Mall of Asia [5F|mix]
@ Mall of Asia Complex, Pasay City, Metro Manila

SM to build IKEA's first store in Philippines
ABS-CBN News | Posted at Apr 06 2018 08:33 PM | Updated as of Apr 06 2018 09:15 PM

MANILA - The Philippines' largest shopping mall operator, SM Prime Holdings, will build the first store of Swedish furniture company IKEA in the Philippines, Bloomberg reported Friday.

The IKEA store will be built in SM's Mall of Asia (MOA) Complex, home to one of its largest malls, an events arena, and a Conrad hotel branch, SM Prime Vice President Alex Pomento was quoted as saying.

Josefin Thorell, spokesperson of Inter IKEA Systems, first confirmed to ABS-CBN News IKEA's planned Philippine foray in February.

IKEA to open stores in Philippines, looking for designer IKEA's simple but sturdy designs and self-assembly products are now familiar in homes around the globe, and the retailer is aiming to generate 50 billion euros ($62 billion) in annual revenues by 2020.

Reactions: harvs28 and Gee Ens

·
Banned
28,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Foodie
1,729 Posts
They should have put this somewhere else. Bulacan, Pampanga, Laguna or Cavite.

Reactions: lianlaspinas

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I'm happy IKEA is opening its first store in the Philippines, but kinda bummed they chose this location. Imagine a glassy SMX Convention Centre and a beautiful MOA areana beside a big blue and yellow box.
True. In one of the original MOA complex renders, that area where IKEA will be built, it is supposed to be another events place as it seems, which complements the arena and the convention center. I'll just hope that this IKEA building will still "fit" in that prime area. Sana lumabas na yung render.

·
Foodie
1,729 Posts
It will be another box like most IKEA stores.

·
Registered
963 Posts
True. In one of the original MOA complex renders, that area where IKEA will be built, it is supposed to be another events place as it seems, which complements the arena and the convention center. I'll just hope that this IKEA building will still "fit" in that prime area. Sana lumabas na yung render.
I doubt it will "fit" the area. This will be a big blue and yellow box. To be fair, this is not the first IKEA built in a shopping complex. Yung IKEA sa Cairo and Sydney (Rhodes, NSW), are both part of a mall/shopping centre. Pero sayang lang talaga yung area. But hey, we don't own the land. SM does and it's their call. All we can do here is whine and rant. Haha.

·
EnhinyerongPasaway
184 Posts
i think the other reason why they placed ikea in that area is because they have already foreseen that in the next 5 to 10 years, the whole area will be filled with condos and office buildings and that itself is proportional to consumption of their products.

Also, i think the structure will "fit" well in the area. the facade of MOA itself is not that astonishing so why do you have to bother about the boxy, blue-and-yellow design of IKEA store?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
^^
Most IKEA stores are boxy with glass parts - parang S&R, but nobody minds it, kahit ako. Nobody will mind the design, because the brand speaks for itself. Kahit mukhang warehouse yung building, it will be a hit, cause it's IKEA.

Who knows? Maybe SM will add a twist to it and make it glassy. Some IKEA stores look modern, but they're quite rare. Kase nga naman you have the Arena, the Mall and the Convention Center all white and blue, then merong isang building na dark blue and yellow. Kung tutuusin nga SMX is also a box, but it's a glass box.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Moa is running out of parking spaces...all of the open parking spaces before are slowly disappearing and it makes parking in Moa a hellish experience!
Agree. This soon-to-be Ikea lot between SMX and Arena used to be my default parking space. Current parking spaces will be converted eventually, since SM will earn more than parking revenues.

Because of this, we have considerably reduced MOA visits, since parking is so difficult, plus the fact of endless renovation inside. All you see are covered hallways.

1 - 20 of 493 Posts