Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Illustrator
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Malmö is the 3rd largest city in Sweden, with over 300 000 inhabitants. It is connected with Copenhagen by a bridge and is known as the most continental city of Sweden. During the last 20 years many new projects have been constructed, and new highrises have been popping up on the skyline the latter years. This is a set of pictures focusing on the architecture of Malmö (both the new and the old), the skyline and the streets.

SOUTH CENTRAL AND DALAPLAN:

Let's for instance beginning with my neighbourhood, Dalaplan, situated just south of the city center.

Surroundings and skyline seen from a parking roof at Dalaplan:

The new Bohus and Mobilia residential highrises

Dalaplan

Turning Torso!

Kronprinsen, Malmö's first highrise.

Triangeln with Scandic and Kaninen highrises and the church towers of St Johannes and a school.

Triangeln with Malmö Live (u/c) in the far background.

Quality Hotel/Konserthuset and the landmark of Mazetti former chocolate factory.

The gritty residential areas in the East.

Heleneholmsverken (the tallest chimney in Malmö) and the ugly Fosievägen highrises.

The nearby water tower Södervärnstornet.

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Malmo.htm

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Malmo_Mollan.htm

·
Illustrator
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
EAST CENTRAL:

Enough of the South. Now we are just to the East of the city center. Going to check some new development as well as streetscapes with old buildings, and skylines.

The new Slussplanen highrise

Drottningtorget (Queens Square)

The new Slussplanen highrise again, seen from the roundabout on the back.

Now we are reaching the city center:

The Central Station and Slagthuset, an early 90s glass office highrise.

the new skyline of Malmö, from the left:

Malmö Live (2nd tallest in 2014), Niagara univeristy bldg, Central Station and Old Post Office, Turning Torso (Scandinavia's tallest), Kockumshuset, Slagthuset and Öresundshuset.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
There are a lot of great new developments going on, good to see that. The other side: it has some ugly areas as well with commieblocks. But it's going in the right direction.

·
Ike
1,279 Posts
Looks like a beautiful setting. The sky and the water and the clear, vivid colors. I like that northern climate and landscape.

·
Illustrator
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Malmö is situated next to the sea and has many canals, but it is also very flat with fields surrounding the city.
The commie blocks are located in the outskirts and there are many of them unfortunately, but there are many skyscrapers and highrises with more interesting designs in the city center (not only Turning Torso), more then most other Scandinavian cities have. :)

Malmö Live and Niagara, both under construction. Malmö Live will host Malmö's tallest highrise hotel, a skybar, a congress center and a new concert hall.

VIEWS FROM FRIHAMNSVIADUKTEN:

Dockan, part of West Harbour, with a new residential highrise u/c. A tall hotel is also planned there.

Here you can see the old St Petri Church, still the 2nd tallest, and Malmö Live. If you look carefully, you can spot Öresundsbron, the bridge to Denmark, in the background!

X2000, Sweden's fast speed trains.

·
Illustrator
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
VÄRNHEM (EAST CENTRAL):

Värnhemstorget, just East of the city center.

Friendly protest towards development of the impopular shopping mall Entré, just next to Värnhemstorget.

RÖRSJÖSTADEN:

This is a quiet eighbourhood between Värnhem and the city center, with mostly early 1900s residential buildings, in different architectural styles, for example art nouvau. It is situated between Föreningsgatan and an alley called Kungsgatan.

The recently renovated St Pauli Church with its new shining aluminium roof (formerly coppar).

·
Illustrator
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

·
Illustrator
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Christos!

BACK TO THE CITY CENTER:

Kronprinsen, the tallest highrise in Malmö until 2003.

The police HQ.

Citytunnel Triangeln glass entrance. Citytunneln is an underground train tunnel that leads to Denmark and nearby cities in other parts of Skåne.

The Triangeln area has been totally redeveloped. The white residential highrise is new, the tall Scandic Hotel was built as a Sheraton in the late 80s. The church is called St Johannes.

·
Bike It!
22,249 Posts
Great recent developments over there! I really like this city, the old and the modern parts. Allthough the only day I visited Malmö, it rained cats and dogs! I believe it was the wettest day of that summer and we had to shelter in the Malmöhus for several hours. :)

·
Illustrator
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great recent developments over there! I really like this city, the old and the modern parts. Allthough the only day I visited Malmö, it rained cats and dogs! I believe it was the wettest day of that summer and we had to shelter in the Malmöhus for several hours. :)
Good to hear you liked Malmö :) That's a shame about the weather, this summer it has been very sunny so far...except for today. :nuts:

·
Bike It!
22,249 Posts
We liked Malmö, we liked Stockholm and I'm sure we would like Göteborg too. We just love Scandinavian cities and nature. Unfortunately they're a bit expensive to visit every year, allthough we try. :D

To get an impression, this was Malmö the day we've visited the city...

·
Illustrator
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^Some summers had this grey weather all the time, unfortunately. Your pictures are from near the train station and the Old Town, called Gamla Väster, I can see.
Where are you from, Benonie?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts