SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wet baby in tumble dryer: man charged
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...yer-man-charged/2006/05/30/1148754978203.html
May 30, 2006 - 2:40PM

A 13-month-old baby suffered horrific burns when she was put in a clothes dryer, police say.

The baby was left with her mother's boyfriend at a home in the Perth suburb of Warwick while the woman went to a gym for about an hour last Thursday, police said.

Police were told the baby had spilt liquid on herself and the man put her in the clothes dryer and turned it on.

"The person we allege has done the act has stated that he has put the child into a clothes tumble dryer, closed the door and turned it on for a couple of minutes,'' Senior Detective Deb ****** said.

"The child had burns to both feet, to one of her hands, burns and bruising to her back and bruising to her forehead,'' she said.

"The injuries are horrific. In my years of being a police officer I have not seen or heard of this type of injury before.''

The mother returned home to find her daughter suffering serious burns but her boyfriend did not mention the dryer, she said.

Police investigated after the hospital where the baby was treated informed them the child's injuries were suspicious and highly unusual.

Snr Det ****** said the mother was distraught but the toddler should make a full recovery and be released from the burns unit at Princess Margaret Hospital for Children later this week.

Samuel Marc Barnes Siddall, 21, of suburban Beldon, appeared in Perth Magistrates' Court today charged with causing bodily harm or danger.

He was granted bail on condition that he did not approach, or contact, the mother and child.

He is due to appear in the Joondalup Magistrates' Court at a date to be set next month.

AAP

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
*LaZ*VegaZ* said:
How someone can be that dumb, it stumps me!
That's what i thought. Anyone with half a brain would've done it in the microwave or oven as the tumbling could well have broken some bones. Bloody lucky if you ask me.

;)

·
Registered
369 Posts
jarf said:
I'm going to say this now: people are truly FUCKING DISGUSTING.

The fuckhead should be shot.

No he shouldn't. It sounds like a very stupid and very horrific accident, if he didn't intent too put the baby in any danger he shouldn't go to jail at all and just study up on some giddy goana.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Cee_em_bee said:
No he shouldn't. It sounds like a very stupid and very horrific accident, if he didn't intent too put the baby in any danger he shouldn't go to jail at all and just study up on some giddy goana.
AN accident? How? The baby accidently fell into the dryer, the door shut and started by itself? Maybe the dryer should go to jail.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
It might be disgusting and horriffic but there are stupid people in this world and yes some so stupid as to think putting a baby in a dryer is acceptable. Maybe he watched cartoons where kittens and other animals came out of dryers seemingly clean, fluffy and unhurt. It may have ended in tears but it could have ended far more tragically than it did. I'm sorry but I can't agree to him being given an extremely harsh punishment, he needs to be punished but death as some suggets is a little hardcore, esp if the whole fiasco was unintentional - maybe he should be forced to get an education that would be punishment enough I'd suggest.

Hmmm but yeah I can't expect anyone would think it acceptable to place a baby in a dryer.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Anton said:
AN accident? How? The baby accidently fell into the dryer, the door shut and started by itself? Maybe the dryer should go to jail.
Haha! Reminds me of the Reflex commercial where a photocopy machine went to jail because teh paper was jammed.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
MILIUX said:
Haha! Reminds me of the Reflex commercial where a photocopy machine went to jail because teh paper was jammed.
Mate, don't laugh - clothes dryers are like eldery drivers. A menace. And people try to use statistics to show that firearms and P-platers are trouble but they are sadly mistaken. :eek:hno:

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Anton said:
Mate, don't laugh - clothes dryers are like eldery drivers. A menace. And people try to use statistics to show that firearms and P-platers are trouble but they are sadly mistaken. :eek:hno:
Of course if the tumble dryer is as old as people's flat, then it would be a menace.

Mine works nicely, and i love it that i can dry my clothes on rainy days.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Police were told the baby had spilt liquid on herself and the man put her in the clothes dryer and turned it on.

"The person we allege has done the act has stated that he has put the child into a clothes tumble dryer, closed the door and turned it on for a couple of minutes,'' Senior Detective Deb ****** said.
It doesn't sound intentional, and if thats the case he shouldn't be heavily punished.

Anton said:

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Cee_em_bee said:
It doesn't sound intentional, and if thats the case he shouldn't be heavily punished.
Well the airwaves of intelligence from the Eastern coast of Australia takes longer to travel to Perth. :D :jk: That airwave latency is around 30-50 years. :D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Cee_em_bee said:

Wow - it's amazing the completely different interpretations that can come out of the one piece of text. lol

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Anton said:
Wow - it's amazing the completely different interpretations that can come out of the one piece of text. lol
Cee_em_bee's comment could be still plausible. What he meant by unintentional is by thinking about the action at that time. Of course, if is thinking, he wouldn't have done it. It doesn't take much brain work to start a tumble dryer, yet he could have been distracted. He must have had a big load of wet clothing, the child maybe playing on the basket and he didn't fully know what he has put in, inter alia.

He may have committed an actus reus, but not fully mens rea?

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
I didnt think it was possible to be this dumb.

He was clearly under the influence of alchohol or probarbly drugs.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
[Gioяgos] said:
I didnt think it was possible to be this dumb.

He was clearly under the influence of alchohol or probarbly drugs.
Were they from Elizabeth? It's probably the crack-***** or meth family or something similar. yeah they could have been on mushies or acid too I guess.

A slut mother from the burbs
with a father stoned on herbs

the kid was chucked in a dryer
bought from aldi not even myer

1 - 20 of 29 Posts