SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
BrizGreek18
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 47-year-old man is dead after a shooting in Newstead in inner Brisbane this afternoon.

Police have removed the body from the Mercantile Place apartment complex on the river at Teneriffe Wharves, on Macquarie Street, Newstead.

Acting detective inspector Wesley Biddle said the man had been found dead in the communal car park by other residents of the unit complex.

"We are investigating the matter as a homicide - he was located with a gunshot wound," Insp Biddle said.

"Police are out doing door knocks now."

He could not say how many times the man had been shot and refused to comment on speculation the shooting might have been bikie-related.

The victim has been identified but his name will not be released until his family is informed.

Rob Murdoch, who has an office in the apartment complex, said he heard a shot and went out on his balcony but thought it must have been a car backfiring.

"I didn't hear any yelling or screaming so I just went back to work," Mr Murdoch said.

"Half an hour later I came downstairs to join my wife for lunch and the body's just lying there in the garage.

"He had blood all over his face so obviously a blow to the head."

A Department of Emergency Services spokeswoman said ambulance officers had attended an address in Macquarie Street just after noon to find a man dead.

"The person was deceased when we arrived," she said.

"It appears to be a private residence. It's in the hands of police."

A staff member at the Ice Bar and Restaurant, which is about 100 metres away from the apartment complex, said he had not heard any gunshots.

"There are lots of police around - probably about six or seven cars," he said.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/man-dead-after-newstead-shooting-20090710-dfic.html

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
A shooting? Shootings happen everyday in Sydney's Western suburbs.
You would expect that in any crappy bogan part of Australia. Difference here is its Newstead - (Tenneriffe), which is one of Brisbane's inner city villages. Usually everything's OK in the villages. Places like Tenneriffe and New Farm are usually so isolated from the problems of suburban Brisbane.

j

·
derp
10,274 Posts
^ If there's sarcasm there, you're doing it wrong.

If it's not sarcasm...well...you got issues

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
^ If there's sarcasm there, you're doing it wrong.

If it's not sarcasm...well...you got issues
No sarcasm.
Our little peninsular feels quite isolated from the troubles of greater Brisbane. I suppose Balmain or Hunters Hill in Sydney would be similar. Where I live is less than 2km from the CBD and yet we have the same village atmosphere you'd find in a small country town - a very eclectic, arty small town.
j

·
baby whinger
1,965 Posts
Attitude? He's right. My ex-boyfriend worked at one of the premier winebars in Teneriffe and "insular" is definitely the word that describes Teneriffe best. People with too much money and a huge sense of entitlement - the idea that "rules apply to everybody else, not me".

I'm honestly not surprised that shooting occurred in Teneriffe/Newstead. I would expect a glassing, stabbing or bashing in the suburbs...but shooting fits well for the faux-ritzy inner-city riverside Brisbane suburbs.

·
BrizGreek18
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A shooting? Shootings happen everyday in Sydney's Western suburbs.
Shootings are more common for the outer southern suburbs in Brisbane, but this was in an area that is very high class. It is very uncommon in the eastern suburbs. Theres nothing special about it, its just i felt bored so i put it up, lol. And don't act like Sydney is LA, because it ain't, i used to live in Lakemba and everyone is scared of that place, but its a moderately safe place, and no!!!! shootings dont happen in Sydney everyday.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I know there is a certain amount of drive by shootings in West Sydney a week. Lakemba is nothing, Cabramatta, Minto etc are the Comptons of Australia.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I'm honestly not surprised that shooting occurred in Teneriffe/Newstead. I would expect a glassing, stabbing or bashing in the suburbs...but shooting fits well for the faux-ritzy inner-city riverside Brisbane suburbs.
Frankly i'm surprised someone there had a gun. Unless it's of the type you take on Safari.

·
BrizGreek18
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know there is a certain amount of drive by shootings in West Sydney a week. Lakemba is nothing, Cabramatta, Minto etc are the Comptons of Australia.

There is much more shady areas in Sydney than Cabra and parts of Campbelltown, But Briz has some pretty rough areas as well, like Woodridge, Aspley, etc.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
All cities do. You can thank the government for creating suburbs and suburbs of housing commission.

·
5,167 Posts
There is much more shady areas in Sydney than Cabra and parts of Campbelltown, But Briz has some pretty rough areas as well, like Woodridge, Aspley, etc.
Aspley?!? You really are southside Brisbane and have never been north of the river if you think Aspley is comparable to Woodridge or some of the housing commission suburbs around Campbelltown in Sydney. The scariest thing in Aspley is the Pick 'n' Pay Hypermarket!

·
Registered
811 Posts

Aspley????
What drugs are you on?

Aspley?!? You really are southside Brisbane and have never been north of the river if you think Aspley is comparable to Woodridge or some of the housing commission suburbs around Campbelltown in Sydney. The scariest thing in Aspley is the Pick 'n' Pay Hypermarket!
:lol::lol:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Perhaps he meant Morayfield or Depression Bay.
Even those two aren't that bad. The only suburbs I'd class as really bad (in terms of homocides and assaults) are probably your southern suburbs like Woodrige, kingston and Logan and probably the Inala area. Also Alex Hills to the east. Take your pick with a few of the far western suburbs too.

Talking about Teneriffe / New Farm and places like that have in the past seen their fair share of murders. I know New Farms had a few....

·
Registered
12 Posts
i would say auburn and fairfield and bankstown are worse than cabra and ctown. cabra has died down since the late 90s and all the drugs and crime has moved next door to liverpool. just because it is a nice area doesnt mean there wont be shooting. does anyone remember just last month a well known family member in sydney was shot 5 times in his lamboghini in castle cove which i think would be just as 'posh' or even more so than the one mentioned in this thread.

·
Modulator
1,208 Posts
^^ Have always felt reasonably safe around Auburn/Bankstown/Fairfield. Most of the folks there just get on with their day. Cabramatta has improved markedly since the early-mid 90s.

The suburbs in Sydney where you need to watch your shoulder most are the houso commission areas (particularly Airds, Macquarie Fields, Minto, Rosemeadow and Claymore in Sydney's south west).

Shootings/murder can happen anywhere anytime from Yunta in outback SA to Castlecrag on Sydney's north shore.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts