SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Manchester Airport | Terminal 2 Redevelopment

317767 Views 395 Replies 53 Participants Last post by  Gavin
I did a search and couldn't find anything, but I feel with dedicated threads here to other airport expansions, this topic also merits it's own thread.

From 18th April, Manchester Airports terminal 2 will be going through a major redevelopment.

This will change the physical size and layout of the terminal, and will bring in key features like:

-Multiple A380 contact stands

-US pre clearance facilities

-More aircraft contact stands

-double the size of the main body of the terminal area.

As said, work starts on 18th April, with the fencing off of many areas to begin the construction work, which will involve multiple tower cranes and mobile cranes.

Vegetation removal and utilities are already well advanced, so, good way to kick off the thread.

Images will follow in the next posts, and of course, others are free to add in.
1 - 20 of 396 Posts

Reactions: LifeMan
Thanks for the thread. What are the economics of the airport building multi-storey car parks?

If you are being charged say £10 per day (I know a lot more) then 5,000 spaces is £18m per annum. How much do they cost?

You can borrow money at rocket bottom rates currently and the airport could spend c£50m on parking and have an income stream for 50 years.

Is there any reason they don't and we see the blight of the surrounding surface car-parks in Handforth/Wythenshawe etc?
Reactions: LifeMan
I've no idea how much an average multi storey car park costs to build but as you say, it is a major revenue stream for airports.

More Multi Storeys will be needed, as currently the T2 long stay and staff west car parks are under the apron in that shot.

Also, the 2 'Jetparks' car parks to the left of the image will be swallowed up by airport city the one more central to the image has already gone), so, as available land gets eaten up, just like in cities, you have to build vertically rather than horizontally.
I will aim to get a few pictures of the developments so far in the next few days.
Reactions: marni1971
What is happening to T1, in the grand scheme of things?
If you can get one, a wide shot from the south west end of the departure drop off area? The lack of vegetation was a surprise. In case I don't get there in time. Thanks.
I will aim to get a few pictures of the developments so far in the next few days.
Officially demolished. The core anyway. Southern front, pier B and possibly the 1974 pier C kept to varying degrees. The latter three have no real information in the public domain though it seems.

There's been mutterings recently of keeping some of T1 now as extra interior space. Stripping back to the original frame and rebuilding, though I'd doubt as a self contained terminal facility.
What is happening to T1, in the grand scheme of things?
The end of pier C is to be demolished. Stands 22/24/26/28/30/31 are gone. Stands 23/25/27/29 are retained. The front of T1 is to be demolished including the Terminal 1 multi-storey car park (after the replacement is buiult near T2 (Currently the site of the PTOC)
Official notice of construction works to begin at Manchester Airport, as provided by Scottie Dog:

MANCHESTER AIRPORT TRANSFORMATION PROGRAMME - MAJOR CONSTRUCTION WORKS COMMENCING 2017

1 Introduction
1.1 Major work will take place between Spring 2017 and early 2024 to construct an extension to Terminal Two, with a large multistorey car park, piers, associated aprons and taxilanes. There will be major works ongoing in landside areas, with tower and mobile cranes operating. There will also be multiple phases of airside works, involving stand and taxiway closures, taxiway diversions, reconfigurations and re-designations. From Summer 2018 onwards additional aprons and taxi lanes will be introduced.
1.2 AIP Supplements will advise of works and operational impact phase by phase, and aerodrome charts and textual data progressively updated.

2 Programme – Phase 1 Landside Works
2.1 18 April to 31 October 2017; Hours of operation, H24.

3 Operational Implications (Phase 1 Landside Works)
3.1 Site boundary fence erected at the northwest end of Taxiways Delta and November;
3.2 Stands 74, 86L, 219, and 249 withdrawn from use;
3.3 Stand 245 reinstated.
Reactions: Scottie Dog
I stuck some photos from today in the regular thread:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=139547806&postcount=10493

(We need to think about making sure all redevelopment photos come in this thread. Any chance of making this a sub forum of the main MAN thread?)
Do you mean move the thread to the Manchester forum?

If so, I would rather not as I chose this sub forum specifically due to the nature of it being a large transport infrastructure project, and thus gives it exposure for those who don't venture into the Manchester threads.
Equipment has been arriving at the concrete plant in the last few months. This picture was taken about three weeks ago, since then more equipment, site cabins and generators have arrived.

Reactions: WingTips
Do not move this thread to the Manchester forum. It's a national infrastructure project to British strategic interests. It belongs here.
Reactions: Vulcan's Finest
I agree this is the correct sub-forum for this.
It isn't simply the revenue stream; it is a key objective of the Airport's Surface Access Strategy to encourage those accessing the airport by car to park on site, rather than 'kiss and fly' drop-off.

http://mag-umbraco-media-live.s3.am...d-surface-access_online-2016-final-190716.pdf

see especially pages 20, 25, 42 and 48. 'Kiss and Fly' is to reduce from just over 50% to less than 30%, when passenger volume reaches 45million per annum.

I've no idea how much an average multi storey car park costs to build but as you say, it is a major revenue stream for airports.

More Multi Storeys will be needed, as currently the T2 long stay and staff west car parks are under the apron in that shot.

Also, the 2 'Jetparks' car parks to the left of the image will be swallowed up by airport city the one more central to the image has already gone), so, as available land gets eaten up, just like in cities, you have to build vertically rather than horizontally.
But by far the greatest use of taxis are private hire vehicles booked
direct by passengers. Together with passengers being picked up or
dropped off by friends or relatives, these ’kiss and fly’ trips amount to
over 50% of passenger journeys. Convenience, price and availability
at all hours are key influences on passenger choice. They are the
largest component of our road traffic, as every return air trip generates
four car trips. This is double the amount of car trips compared with
parking on-site, and thus adds to congestion and increased CO2
emissions. Managing ‘kiss and fly’ is a key issue at many airports
across the UK. Our target is to reduce kiss and fly use both by
improving and widening the range of public transport alternatives and
by making on-site parking a competitive and convenient option.
if day-return flyers park on site, rather than being dropped off and then being picked up; airport access routes only need to carry half the number of road trips for those passengers.

Consequently, the new terminal will provide no publicly accessible drop-off and pick-up point. Instead, the short-stay car park will be configured to support extensive use of short period parking for setting down and picking up air passengers. Only registered taxicabs will be able to access the drop-off zone. This will be combined with keeping short-stay parking charges low, so as to avoid unsafe and disruptive drop-off along access roads.
Reactions: Uomo Senza Nome
I hope short-stay means more than a couple of days as you would guess 50% of travel through Manchester is 1 or 2 week leisure flights?

Interesting about time the anti-car issue was tackled and provision of ample, cheap on-site parking would be a boon to most travellers? I hate ordering taxis and letting any Tom, Dick & Harry know we are away for 2 weeks.
Long-stay parking is a separate issue, Fly; or rather a number of separate issues. On-site self-parked long-stay is expected to decline radically, with an expansion in 'meet and greet' valet parking on off-site facilities; surface-level block-parked by due date of collection. That way double the number of cars can be fitted into the same space.

Otherwise self-parked long-stay will all tend to be off-site or peripheral; linked into the airport by shuttle bus or tram.

The multi-storey parks adjacent to the terminals will be strictly short-stay (or overnight) only.
I hope short-stay means more than a couple of days as you would guess 50% of travel through Manchester is 1 or 2 week leisure flights?

Interesting about time the anti-car issue was tackled and provision of ample, cheap on-site parking would be a boon to most travellers? I hate ordering taxis and letting any Tom, Dick & Harry know we are away for 2 weeks.
Reactions: Uomo Senza Nome
1 - 20 of 396 Posts