Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. Thought I'd just start a new thread so people can vent their frustrations about what they think are the major problems with Manchester, and what we can do about it.

This way we can have a forum to do this without going OT on other threads.

I'll Start by listing my major Beefs:

1) We need a city center park, a prober big Alexadra Park or Whitworth Park sized park. We are one of only a few cities which are not surrounded by oceans, lakes or parks. We need this to provide a picturesque area where people can relax and view the city and also to hold public events etc.

There is a large parkland area near ancoats which can be turned into such a place if there was investment in that area.

2) A proper huge city square. I mean a MASSIVE one. Just look at this:

That's what I'm talkin bout bitches, a proper Huge square. We could use Central Retail park for this.

3) Stop consulting the dumb-ass general public when considering the variouse projects which are being built. Remember, people collectively are stupid. They voted for 1 Piccadilly gardens to be built!!!! Given a chance, when asked they will always pick the most unimaginative and boring proposals to be built.

4) Piccadilly gardens. Build a building over it NOW! A clock tower similar to the one which occupied the sight previously would be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,839 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
My beefs with Manchester are of a similar theme, disjoints

The centre of town feels disjointed to the surrounding area in most directions, in most directions you have to travel through wasteland prior to being back into development.

The education across the area is awfully disjointed, even in Trafford we have incredibly high standard grammar schools alongside soe very poor secondary moderns. Across the city the levels need to be raised such that the 75th percentile of achivers are able to work in a knowledge economy, at the moment we have too many kids who will never ever benefit from an economy that is competing against Mumbai why they get paid far less.

The disjointed education is leading to a very disjointed and unbalanced econonmy.

Manchester in some ways is booming, there are many people in Bramhall, Didbury, Cheadle Hulme, Altrincham, Hale, Bowdon, Worsley...... doing very well as they benefit from that economy.

Less so Ordsall, Gorton, Oldham....

FWIW - I look down in London at Tower Hamlets home to some of the best paid jobs in the nation in Canary Wharf yet an awfully poor population surrounds those jobs.

Somehow as we develop in a much smaller way, many years behind Tower Hamlets, we need to find a way of educating helping those in Ordsall benefit to some degree and not have all the wealth disjointed in the wealthy areas.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
This I’m afraid is all pie in the sky! A taxpayer funded Park off the beautiful Great Arncoats Street, it might work a bit on a few sunny days a year but what a waste of valuable resources. The magic money tree comes to mind again! And if you think we’ve got it bad in The UK with rough sleepers look at Paris, apparently just one central area has 4000 with obviously no electricity and a handful of water taps between them, that is a shantytown in a major European centre.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I know a few residents of the CHIPS building who have now left the area as it's so bad around there. Chinatown seems to be another area the council have abandoned.
Hopefully it will improve with all the new builds as they must include proper security. CHIPS had a problem because it's security was shit and they had burglaries all the time. I think I read that sometimes the same apartments got hit multiple times. They do have a guard in there at night now but not sure if things have changed. Milliners has been okay except for one incident because it's gated, cctv'd and has 24/7 security.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This I’m afraid is all pie in the sky! A taxpayer funded Park off the beautiful Great Arncoats Street, it might work a bit on a few sunny days a year but what a waste of valuable resources. The magic money tree comes to mind again! And if you think we’ve got it bad in The UK with rough sleepers look at Paris, apparently just one central area has 4000 with obviously no electricity and a handful of water taps between them, that is a shantytown in a major European centre.
Not really. Most cities have large parks. Where do you think they got them from? A magic money tree?... Of coarse not. They were built either with private or public investment or both. If the whole ancoats area was redeveloped through a combination of the two (plus lottery money maybe), it is a very possible and viable opportunity to better the city for tourists and families to visit this part of the centre. It could be part of a huge regeneration project that would see offices, homes and leisure projects built.

Thing is, we the people have the ability to pressure the local council to step up to the plate via this forum and other media outlets. So lets keep up the dream. It will garner influence eventually.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I believe we need several iconic structures/buildings . Like London / nyc/ Paris etc
Was there once a sort of part U shaped, part C shaped SimpsonHaugh for Great Ancoats Street planned? I still see that building in my head sometimes, assuming it was real and not a weird dream I had. That would have been iconic, at least to me anyway.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Not really. Most cities have large parks. Where do you think they got them from? A magic money tree?... Of coarse not. They were build either with private or public investment or both. If the whole ancoats area was redeveloped through a combination of the two (plus lottery money maybe), it is a very possible and viable opportunity to better the city for tourists and families to visit this part of the centre. It could be part of a huge regeneration project that would see offices, homes and leisure projects built.

Thing is, we the people have the ability to pressure the local council to step up to the plate via this forum and other media outlets. So lets keep up the dream. It will garner influence eventually.
Angel Meadows?

My guess is you'll say it's not big enough, but I think it's probably the best you can hope for.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Just a thought but I think it's time to incorporate the Salford side of the city centre into Manchester. The Salford side has always lagged far behind in development and investment just because of its postcode even though it's just a hop across the river.

And while we're at it maybe it's time to turn Greater Manchester into one city much like London.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Main beefs: Litter, congestion, piccadilly gardens, spicers, dirty buildings, lack of quality green space/inability to look after any decent civic space, M60 J13, inadequate public transport, that plonker Pat Carney. That looks a reasonably long list, but Manchester is still awesome.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Oh THIS is going to be a good one. Ok some of my beefs....

1) street cleanliness. Bottom line is the city centre is a filthy dirty grotty abandoned dump. Walking around the streets this evening was shocking. Has anyone ever noticed the little side street called Town Hall Lane off Cross St? It is DISGUSTING and a tragedy that such a potentially picturesque alleyway has been left to rot. So many side streets as well as the main thoroughfares are dirty beyond belief. I believe the company Ramora have the contract to clean the streets, where are they? Dry weather means you truly notice how gross it is in the centre. Can thy not run a program for community service servers to clean off lamp posts or wash the bins on the streets?

2) Some of the out of towners. Now I know we want to encourage people into the city centre but frankly the bars and clubs attract some of the roughest people you could ever come across. Urine, Sick, Blood, it’s all outside the venues, walking down Deansgate or the locks on a Saturday night is like a horror movie.

3) Druggies classed as homeless. It infuriates me beyond belief to see people giving them money on the streets. There should be signs up like the do not feed the pigeons. Do not give to the homeless because they’re usually smack heads and you’re feeding their habit, making their life easy therefore attracting more druggies to the area. The same goes for the refreshments cart that goes around town and the dogooders naively trying to help them.

4) Scally quad bikers.

5) lack of things to do for tourists. We really could do with a few attractions in the centre such as Madame Tussaud’s or a great Aquarium. If it’s raining there isn’t a great deal to do for families (middle eastern tourists in the summer spring to mind or the Chinese)

6) no Michelin stars or many 5* hotels.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts