SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
10th February 2008
59,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please stay with this thread, it's not boring, honest! :sleepy:

The changes in Manchester's car parks over the last few years has been amazing. The grey concrete multi storey car parks are slowly disappearing, being replaced by well designed, colourful, and well managed car parks.

Unfortunately a few of the old car parks still remain.

The old.

Back of Kendals.

At least it's hidden away and out of sight.

Northern Quarter.

Needs to be demolished ASAP/a few of F&V stalls still left

Oxford Road.

God I hate this car park!(arrgh!) It absolutely ruins that section of Oxford Road. It's so 80's. The original plan was to build an office on the site.(anyone got a render?) Then this monstrosity appeared instead. :rant:

The Arndale car park.

Currently being refurbished at ground level. Unfortunately the dreaded yellow tiles are staying.(I stand corrected)

The new.

Located next to the Manchester University Dental Hospital. Currently being finished off.

Upper Brook Street.

Manchester University. Not impressed to be honest.

Upper Brook Street.

Part of the MRI redevelopment.

London Road/Piccadilly Gardens.

Piccadilly Basin.

A hidden gem.(£5 all day. I always park there. Don't tell anyone)

Spinningfields.

Shudehill interchange. :)

The jewel in the Crown. Probably one of the best/looking car parks in the world.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Not much mileage in a carpark thread (pun intended) because you've gone and covered them all already! Great idea though cos its a bit of a pet subject of mine.
The sad thing about the first 3 you mentioned is that they all replaced really good buildings. Especially oxford road which was Manchester's best cinema and was demolished over a weekend before anyone could get it listed and stood as an empty site for a decade.
You forgot to mention the one in between the Opera House and Sunlight house. Absolutely awful!
Carparks really have come on recently with the Simpson one on London Road being the first of the good ones.
Got a picture of Shudehill coming that you may like ( a rare photo from Longford but i am old fashioned and use film so no instant results.)
Whats funny, especially to us old timers, is how few open air carparks on bomb sites and cleared land there are left in the city centre. In the 80's there were loads and loads and now they all have concert halls, hotels and apartments on them (no bad thing though). Hopefully there will be now open air carparks left in the city centre by the end of the decade and the design standards of the multi storeys will continue.
Dont like the new Spinningfields one especially since i dont think you can get on the roof for photos!

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
How about Charles Street, car park. I always park there when I'm in Mcr for work reasons. It miiiiiinges, but its handy for the Premier Lodge where I often stay (no expense spared with out lot) and near the Lass O'Gowrie.

I like the Lass O'Gowrie.

Used to be ran by a mate's uncle - like a little piece of Liverpool in Manchester. ;)

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
Having said that, Manchester has bunch of great old pubs: the Briton's Protection and Peveril of the Peak are my faves.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Its not a multi storey car park but one I'd certainly like to get rid of is that one smack bang in the middle of the sqaure in China Town. I can't find any photos to pinch from the web but its the one next to the Chinese Imperial Arch. Its such a waste of space. they should have an outdoor chinese market there or building a small modern chinese shopping centre.

I think China town is often overlooked. Its only small but its so established and full of shops and restaurants.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Yes i'm amazed that car park has lasted this long - i cant imagine the site is 'maximising potential' as they say.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well people do talk about the lack of open space in Manchester. That chinatown car park would make an absolutely lovely little square.

Especially considering there's so many multistories round that area.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Couldnt be bothered to search out a Shudehill thread so this seems as good a place as any to post one of now legendary night time photos.
Great building IMO.

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Car park buildings will soon be a thing of the past. They'll be replaced with towers that provide undercroft... and thats the best place for em... underground.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is a surface carpark in a kind of triangle shape sort of sandwiched between Minshull Street Crown Court, Piccadilly Place and Canal Street. Was looking at it today thinking it would be a top place for a tower. Band next to Albany Tower and accros the road from Eastgate.

·
wind-up merchant
15,971 Posts
Everyone must know Jillys etc on oxford road, well I've heard they are knocking it down and building a car park? Anyone know anything.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Not knocking it down (its part of the grade II listed Calico building) but Bruntwood have put in an application to take pocession of the club and convert to offices at ground floor and turn the basement into car park.
Make of that what you will!

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
The Longford said:
Not knocking it down (its part of the grade II listed Calico building) but Bruntwood have put in an application to take pocession of the club and convert to offices at ground floor and turn the basement into car park.
Make of that what you will!
**** me is that true! You mean Rockworld is gonna be turned into a carpark? We need a Save Rockworld thread immediately.....

·
SSC Member
1,893 Posts
The Council is a disgrace for allowing so many car parks. Next thing it will be trying to bring in some form of charging to reduce the congestion all these car parks created.
I'm happy with a few car parks and i personally think the new ones are generally better located nearer to the ring road. Lets flatten some of the older ones and get rid of all of the ground level ones and a load of street parking. Replace with good quality buildings and more importantly, quality open space. China town can start us off...

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
b4mmy said:
**** me is that true! You mean Rockworld is gonna be turned into a carpark? We need a Save Rockworld thread immediately.....
I agree Bammy,, i've had some cracking night's in Rockworld :dance:

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Great i love it Longy,,,was it taken early hours matey?

Cos it would be even better if the CIS and the surrounding building's had there lights on.

[/QUOTE]

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Photo jargon alert!
I had to expose for the car park which is lit up like the proverbial and CIS is actually nicely lit but to expose for CIS would mean the car park would be badly over exposed.
Beetham was taken at daft o clock but Arndale car park closes at 11 so that was taken at about half 10 on a sunday evening.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
highriser said:
I agree Bammy,, i've had some cracking night's in Rockworld :dance:
argh! What about the Music Box? Isn't that really one of the rooms in the Same building as Rockworld? Thats 2 of the cities best and most loved clubs. Both have completely different crowds. Thats twice as many people will be pissed off...and I will be one of those pissed off people.

and for what? for OFFICES?? or FOR A BASTARD CAR PARK!!! GRRRR. I think...I think...those Gamma are kicking in again....aaargh!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts