Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
the man who builds cities
480 Posts
I agree, cheeky bastards aint they. what about the new B&Q and the BIG woolies in Chetham hill, or the Toys R Us retail park in Ancoats, those sort of retail parks dont effect city centre shopping.
Feck me, they where shitting themselves about the trafford centre and even that had little effect on the city centre shops.

anyway, as if people from Salford can afford to shop in the city centre....hehehe

I used to live in Lower Broughton, I worked in the Drinks Cabin on the Mocha Parade.
feck me, I considered meself as a bit of a ruff'en, untill I lived in Lower Broughton.
Hard people around there I tell ya. new born babies chew on broken glass instead of dummies.

·
Salford Red
1,561 Posts
Accura_Preston said:
Not another bloody retail park... no objections to the stadium though.
You what? :bash:

WTF do you want built on the inside of the M60 ringroad? A skyscraper?

All it will be is an extension of the retail park that includes the Trafford Centre anyway. Just on the other side of the canal.

It will not include a B&Q anyway, as there is one on the Urmston side of the canal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Shite. I am extremely dissapointed with the City Council. How can they be concerned about this and not the white city retail park which is so much closer to the city. Maybe just because it is in the Manchester borough that makes it acceptable. Everyone, rally to Salford's cause.
Isaac Newell, like the idea about Sale using it. Its no further away from Sales old ground than Stockport is now. And it is far more accessible.
Oh and what a fucking nice staium that is, it has to be given permission.

·
Banned
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Isaac Newell said:
Will they let Sale use it seeing as they get double the crowds of Salford.
Yeah but out of Sale's average 7000 crowd, 5500 tickets are freebies mate, or didnt you know that? :eek2:

·
Registered
11,513 Posts
Mancunian said:
Shite. I am extremely dissapointed with the City Council. How can they be concerned about this and not the white city retail park which is so much closer to the city. Maybe just because it is in the Manchester borough that makes it acceptable.
White City is in Trafford, and was put up by a Tory council under a Tory government, so I doubt Manchester council had much sway over the decision.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Last weeks crowd against Gloucester was 9456

Just to be CAW mark 2, I copied this from Sale's website

Sale Sharks are pleased to announce that Mr. Brindley of Bury became the club’s 3000th season ticket holder earlier this week. Mr. Brindley's season ticket represents a 33% increase on season tickets from the 2003.04 Season - one of the largest year on year increases in the Zurich Premiership.

·
Banned
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isaac Newell said:
Last weeks crowd against Gloucester was 9456

Just to be CAW mark 2, I copied this from Sale's website

Sale Sharks are pleased to announce that Mr. Brindley of Bury became the club’s 3000th season ticket holder earlier this week. Mr. Brindley's season ticket represents a 33% increase on season tickets from the 2003.04 Season - one of the largest year on year increases in the Zurich Premiership.
Salford have around 2000 season ticket holders.
Anyway why the dislike for the Reds? Or is it the game? which is bigger than rugby yawnion in the NW?

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
I have no dislike for Salford or Rugby League (I was in the school team) it just seems odd that a team with very low crowds are building such a relatively large stadium.

It would make sense for two rugby teams to share, or three if you add in Swinton. Leeds RLFC share with Leeds RUFC

Sale's crowds are bigger than Salford's fact not fiction and Sale have nationally recognized players.

It's like Australia, Rugby of both codes is not as nationally followed as Football. Collingwood and Essendon average around 50,000 a game, the Rugby teams don't. Even the Eagles pull in around 40,000 to Subiaco ?

·
Banned
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Isaac Newell said:
I have no dislike for Salford or Rugby League (I was in the school team) it just seems odd that a team with very low crowds are building such a relatively large stadium.

It would make sense for two rugby teams to share, or three if you add in Swinton. Leeds RLFC share with Leeds RUFC

Sale's crowds are bigger than Salford's fact not fiction and Sale have nationally recognized players.

It's like Australia, Rugby of both codes is not as nationally followed as Football. Collingwood and Essendon average around 50,000 a game, the Rugby teams don't. Even the Eagles pull in around 40,000 to Subiaco ?
But you have to realize 2 things.
Sale online increased in popularity because they have a millionaire backer and they signed Jason Robinson from Wigan Warriors who happens to pay for England RU. Sales's crowds at Heywood Rd were only 1500, now they do well.
Salford now have the potential to go a similar way. We get average crowds of around 4000 but would go up to 7/8000 like the 'novelty' effect that has happened at Warrington and Hull when they got new stadiums.

I think we need to have faith in this project. Salford's crowds are small due to the location of The Willows and the risks of car theft, and violence (by the usual Weaste idiots).

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Build the stadium and they will come. Yes it works but I worry about Rugby League. It has fought back well against Rugby Union when the doomsayers where predicting that it would disappear once union became professional.
Don't forget all the League clubs were once Union clubs. Rugby League is such a niche sport, devoid of international competition, even the GB side are to be disbanded, and also devoid of European club competition, Stade de France played Newcastle in front of 45,000 a couple of weeks ago whilst Leicester beat Munster in front of 48,000. These are serious crowds.
It's a shame that Australia is 12,000 miles away perhaps we should have a League version of Super 12, Lancashire, Yorkshire, NSW, Queensland, Catalonia and Auckland.
Getting back to the point do you think there is a devious plan developing to strip Salford of it's identity by Manchester council and maybe that is the reason for objecting to the stadium, there is a nice little 5,000 seat stadium next to the COMS that would do nicely for a renamed Manchester Rugby Club.

·
Banned
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Isaac Newell said:
Build the stadium and they will come. Yes it works but I worry about Rugby League. It has fought back well against Rugby Union when the doomsayers where predicting that it would disappear once union became professional.
Don't forget all the League clubs were once Union clubs. Rugby League is such a niche sport, devoid of international competition, even the GB side are to be disbanded, and also devoid of European club competition, Stade de France played Newcastle in front of 45,000 a couple of weeks ago whilst Leicester beat Munster in front of 48,000. These are serious crowds.
It's a shame that Australia is 12,000 miles away perhaps we should have a League version of Super 12, Lancashire, Yorkshire, NSW, Queensland, Catalonia and Auckland.
Getting back to the point do you think there is a devious plan developing to strip Salford of it's identity by Manchester council and maybe that is the reason for objecting to the stadium, there is a nice little 5,000 seat stadium next to the COMS that would do nicely for a renamed Manchester Rugby Club.
Im sorry Issac, but for someone who is supposily interested in League you dont half hype up union!
Firstly League does have international competition in Australia, NZ and possibly France (they nearly hammered the Roo's last year), then there are a list of countries that actually play rugby league including:
PNG
Russia
Georgia
Serbia
West Indies
USA
Argentina
Malta
Holland
Germany
Lebanon
South Africa
Fiji
Tonga
Samoa
Japan
Singapore
Morrocco

Need I go on? And no I havent made them up, these have genuine domestic competitions and national teams that play in more emerging nations comps or lower grades than GB.

RL has no European comp? Eh? Thats why Russian and French sides were in the Powergen Challenge Cup? Think you need to check some facts mate.

"It's a shame that Australia is 12,000 miles away perhaps we should have a League version of Super 12, Lancashire, Yorkshire, NSW, Queensland, Catalonia and Auckland. "

Sadly on your part this is sheer ignorance. The RL conference is about the game played the length and breadth of Britain, but what do you care?
get back under the union lduvet cover.
Of course its idiots like you who want the game kept smaller than it actually is. How much did Sale pay you for this?
Union is a overly hyped up game with roots in private school networks. Are you middle class? You say you played League? Did you get injured and you have a gripe against the game for the drivel you wrote above?
:bash:

Moderator, can you please lock this thread. The response is obviously going on a different track to what I expected. I expected civil and mannered response, not some one eyed troll trying to slag off the sport I enjoy.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
SC are you in some space time warp, bumping all these noughties threads?

If so then that might explain why you can not see a deleted archive from a largely moribund newspaper orginaly posted by an offensive oaf who was banned from here for pretending he had taken pictures of Salford rugby club's last game at the Willows in 2011 when he was actually in Australia, well that and a string of others stuff in 2005, when we were all young, Blair was a Prime Minister and labour seemed the natural party of government, Babyshambles, Kanye West, Peep Show, Little Britain, The Bill, George W, Sir Alex, City being knocked out by Doncaster Rovers.

If you are in that blip in the time space continuum, you may not read this until 2034, when you should take my advice and drive your sonic Metrolink cosmic tram at warp light speed eight into the Sun until you travel back into 2017.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts