SkyscraperCity Forum banner
781 - 800 of 1942 Posts

·
10th February 2008
63,312 Posts
It's weird to think that in a few years time all that expanse of land/car park(beyond the picture) will be a leisure destination/entertainment centre. The stadium won't be visible.

Can't wait until the proposals/plans are made public.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Posted by.....

Is that not the weirdest username ever?

Nah, 1.618034 is the `golden ratio', i.e., the number you get if you make the ratio of two numbers equal to the ratio of the sum against the larger number. It's quite useful in many different aspects; for example, two consecutive numbers in the Fibonacci sequence eventually tend towards the golden ratio as you go toward infinity.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You guys got a source for this?
When the club announced the expansion at the start of the season they decided to sell season tickets for the new tier in advance, on a first come, first serve basis. The 'worse' seats in the new tier (i.e., top corners) would be priced at £299, the next worse at £399, etc. They did the first come, first serve method so that people who signed up earlier could get first choice of where to sit. Obviously then, everyone who signed up and paid the deposit was given a number in the queue. Bluemoon, a city forum with, I estimate, a few % of match-going fans started up a thread called 'the waiting list' (search for it if you'd like), where people at the beginning stated which number they were in the queue. The thread rapidly grew from people giving numbers in the 00's, to 1000's, to 2000's, 3000's etc. Growth seemed to slow at around the 5k mark if I remember rightly, but has been steadily rising since, hitting just under 8k the last time I checked before Christmas.

So, there's one of two possibilities:

a) the club ordered everyone iteratively, with ~8,000 now in the list.

b) the club knew that people on some random internet forum would keep track of the running total, and knowing that, they then wanted to fool everyone into thinking they had sold more than they actually had (for whatever bizarre reason). They therefore decided to give everyone a number, but missing a few out at a time, such that there were gaps dotted everywhere in the numerical list - producing a list of people well short of 8,000, for no intuitive gain whatsoever.

I'm going to call Ockham's razor on this and go for option `a' mate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
throwaway, you wouldn't happen to be a STEM grad/undergrad, would you? ;) To be fair, sbnufc only asked for the source, he/she didn't subsequently question its provenance/accuracy/veracity.
Yeah...just re-read it and it comes across as pedantic. Sorry about that. Just fed up of all the "hurr durr emptihad" jokes because it's apparently got to the point where the people are now taking the jibes as reality. I mean c'mon, why write a mammoth post on on a forum with the main tagine being "why are you expanding when there's no demand for tickets" when every league game for the past 4 seasons has sold out. It's failure of basic fact checking that derails any conversation off topic.

·
10th February 2008
63,312 Posts
Update on the season ticket waiting list posted on Blue Moon today.

From a trusted Blue Moon forum member, so it's not a wind-up.

Very interesting. And a great indication of the level of support City still retain in Manchester, as long as season ticket prices are affordable.

fathellensbellend

for anyone interested I have just added another to the waiting list, it is number 9135
It's safe to say there will be a 10,000+ season ticket waiting list when the South Stand expansion is complete next season.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Very interesting. And a great indication of the level of support City still retain in Manchester, as long as season ticket prices are affordable.

It's safe to say there will be a 10,000+ season ticket waiting list when the South Stand expansion is complete next season.

As far as I know the club haven't made a definite statement regarding whether the north stand expansion will begin immediately after (although I hope I'm wrong) - surely with numbers that high they's have no choice but to?

It seems mental to get rid of all the cranes/works people only to bring them back in a couple of years before the planning permission runs out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
As far as I know the club haven't made a definite statement regarding whether the north stand expansion will begin immediately after (although I hope I'm wrong) - surely with numbers that high they's have no choice but to?

It seems mental to get rid of all the cranes/works people only to bring them back in a couple of years before the planning permission runs out.
10k people on the waiting list does not mean there are 10k people not going to the game. Many of them will be going on general admission etc. But i agree they will probably start on the north stand ASAP.

·
Erin go bragh
532 Posts

Not how it works at all though, how many of those are already attending through general admission/getting tickets from other people?

·
Registered
38 Posts

I'm an Arsenal fan, we have a big stadium and a waiting list of 50,000+ for season tickets! We pay the highest prices for tickets and have a huge waiting list so count your self lucky :eek:hno:

781 - 800 of 1942 Posts