Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
10th February 2008
60,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know your all out there still. (you know who you are )

Get it off your chest. Vent your spleen. But don't make it personal. :bash:

It's good to talk. :)

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I've been lurking..

:lurker:

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Embrace.

Can we give people from other forums a chance on the Manchester Forum. I find that the input of posters from Liverpool, Leeds and Birmingham add a positive angle to these pages, yet they all too often seem to be singled out as trouble makers after a single post and hounded out.

Two points there: 1. Look at an outside interest as positive- it means people are taking note of our fine city. 2. If somebody isn't from Manchester they may not have the same passionate, rose-tinted views as many of us, but surely we have enough confidence in our city and enough positives to debate these differences. A critical appraisal is more often than not positive, even if it only serves to galvanise your opinions.

The Brummies have been visiting here fairly regularly recently and added some good feedback. A Leeds poster (Well done Leeds btw on Criterion; I'm looking forward to that rising) got bo!!o(ked recently for posting a picture of an Isis development from across the Pennines. I Personally found this interesting, as I don't get time to visit other city Threads. It's good to see the similar developments going up around the country especially from the same architects, without having to trail through and now if I want to find out more I've got a starting point. (I'm not targetting the above poster who reacted btw- just my observation at the time)

Can we also give newbies a break. I remember my first post on this site and it was utterly cringe worthy. Whilst I don't contribute as much as I would like re photos and my opinions are generally limited to an opinion, rather than any technical input, or breaking news, I still enjoy using the site and want as many other people as possible to do so as well.

I'll leave it with a final note that most posters who put what at first seems to be a slighty $hitty post, usually find themselves apologising within 5/6 posts for their misinterpreted sarcasm, or their irony being misunderstood, so before we bite anybodies heads off lets read a post twice before. A lot of the banter on here is essentially chatting, so we naturally want to add humour, but it all too often fails read through in the text.

The City's looking good! Viva la Revolution! :cheers:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Trouble is... there's not much under construction!! Other than 3 Hardman Street and potentially Chapel Wharf, what is there (that's tall)?
Yes, at the moment with many so called skyscrapers it's all talk and no show. Normally i expect them to get built, but with Albany and Eastgate i'm wary. That doesn't mean they won't get built though. I'm wary of Albany as he has had business troubles and could be doing the new higher extension to the tower with the press to talk his shop up to attract business. But if you look at his last smaller project, that went belly up and so i don't hold out much hope. With Eastgate, it's gone on far too long, even for a development like this. I do have more hope for this than Albany tower, but i'm not over confident.

As for anything else in Manchester, not much regarding skyscrapers. Now if this was the low rise forum, there might be more to say, but it's not.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
People need to stop moaning about the lack of activity, its getting on my tits. We've got a fabulous city center to be proud of already! Enjoy Manchester for what it already is, anything else that comes along is a bonus!

Things will happen.

Don't get on this Brummie vibe. Threads like this, where everything is bad, depressing and sympathetic.

·
Registered
967 Posts
People need to stop moaning about the lack of activity, its getting on my tits. We've got a fabulous city center to be proud of already! Enjoy Manchester for what it already is, anything else that comes along is a bonus!

Things will happen.

Don't get on this Brummie vibe. Threads like this, where everything is bad, depressing and sympathetic.
People are proud of Manchester as it is. What was said is, as a forum for Manchester Skyscrapers under construction, there are so few under construction to raise comments worth mentioning.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
People are proud of Manchester as it is. What was said is, as a forum for Manchester Skyscrapers under construction, there are so few under construction to raise comments worth mentioning.
Theres so much more to a city than SKYSCRAPERS though. The BBC, Metrolink both worth more, so much more, than Eastgate and albany, (which I might add you seem obsessed with!) and btw according to my source, its still going to happen.

Forumers like yourself need to stop over-reacting to a little peace and quite in the city center!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Theres so much more to a city than SKYSCRAPERS though. The BBC, Metrolink both worth more, so much more, than Eastgate and albany, (which I might add you seem obsessed with!) and btw according to my source, its still going to happen.

Forumers like yourself need to stop over-reacting to a little peace and quite in the city center!
May i remind you this is a skyscraper forum. And as far as Eastgate and Albany which you for some reason think i'm obsessed with (i'm not by the way), are the 2 biggest skyscraper projects in the centre at 54 stories and 60 stories (inc' 2 underground). So know wonder i would mention them.

What others were raising is the fact that, as a 'skyscraper' forum and this being the Manchester section, there isn't really that much happening under construction as far as skyscrapers in central Manchester. This point wasn't even mentioned by me.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
This point wasn't even mentioned by me.
But you have said something along those lines. You've quite clearly made such a point on the Eastgate thread. Still nothing on site etc. So you have really.

May i remind you this is a skyscraper forum.
I don't need reminding pal, look, 4 years the longer than you! I know what this place is. This may be a skyscraper forum, but it is also, more oftenly used as a place to talk about the various non skyscraper projects in the Manchester Area. I think its important people realize the other stuff going on, such as infrastructure and the economics involved with various non skyscraper projects that in the long run will benefit the city more than any tower will. I understand your point, but its not the end of the world and it winds me up when doom an gloom threads are made based on towers not getting built, especially when theres alot of other prestegious projects on the go.

If your a perverted skyscraper freak concerned only with 60 story towers, expect a wait! They dont just happen!

·
Registered
967 Posts
But you have said something along those lines. You've quite clearly made such a point on the Eastgate thread. Still nothing on site etc. So you have really.

I don't need reminding pal, look, 4 years the longer than you! I know what this place is. This may be a skyscraper forum, but it is also, more oftenly used as a place to talk about the various non skyscraper projects in the Manchester Area. If your a perverted skyscraper freak concerned only with 60 story towers, expect a wait! They dont just happen!
I won't have someone like you telling myself and others what we can say. If you continue with this, i will report you to the moderator.

·
Registered
967 Posts
The trouble with your comments are, they are not an objective opinion. Your purely out to put others comments down. Having a difference of opinion is one thing, but to pressure people into not putting their own opinions because they differ from yours is out of order and makes an already quiet forum quieter. A lot of people have said exactly the same as myself, so why don't you go and bother them. These others and myself are entitled to our opinions and are not point scoring at individuals, but are common views of certain developments As for the future on this forum, i will no longer reply to your posts, until the bullying tactics you use for pure put down cease.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts

Things will happen.

Hath no fear, them days are over! Lets just hope it doesn't become a vicious circle between the two forums... :eek:hno:

·
Rock Lord
12,954 Posts
I won't have someone like you telling myself and others what we can say. If you continue with this, i will report you to the moderator.
oh behave.

I found this site because of the CTRL construction tread in the transport section and really only talk Light Rail here as do alot of other people.

Skyscrapers it may say on the tin but this site is more than just tall buildings.

On a seperate point, what has happened to b4mmy, I haven't seen him in ages.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hope, optimism and positivity = attractive and interesting :)

Despare, pessimism and negativity = unattractive and boring :eek:hno:

I tell my kids that all the time and I think they'll go places.

I've worked in Manchester for 18 years and I can't ever remember so much activity, development, investment, outside interest and .......ooh, what's that word? OPTIMISM......

.......AND the weather's good :cheers:

C'mon guys. No wonder people are being driven away from this site!

·
Registered
967 Posts
oh behave.

I found this site because of the CTRL construction tread in the transport section and really only talk Light Rail here as do alot of other people.

Skyscrapers it may say on the tin but this site is more than just tall buildings.

On a seperate point, what has happened to b4mmy, I haven't seen him in ages.
Zim Flyer, that wasn't the reason for that statement. I'm aware people talk about lots of things, but people keep misinterpreting some comments on here. Before i commented, somebody mentioned a lack of skyscrapers being built currently in the city centre and so it's difficult to talk about skyscrapers under construction. Then, a reply came in a head storm, oh you should be happy with what we've got. So i replied we already are as that wasn't what was said. As if they were complaning because there weren't many being built. This wasn't what they were saying, but people keep getting the wrong end and go off on one.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hope, optimism and positivity = attractive and interesting :)

Despare, pessimism and negativity = unattractive and boring :eek:hno:

I tell my kids that all the time and I think they'll go places.

I've worked in Manchester for 18 years and I can't ever remember so much activity, development, investment, outside interest and .......ooh, what's that word? OPTIMISM......

.......AND the weather's good :cheers:

C'mon guys. No wonder people are being driven away from this site!
Whose being pessimistic? Not me. How because somebody says like many others have, if doesn't look as if that project or the other will get built, isn't pessimism. It is stating likely outcome due to facts available. If all we can say are optimistic things about every project, then there is no point commenting. We are all entitled to our own views and you have to accept that, as long as they aren't directed personally at someone.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts