SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
I'm well into maps. I wanted to be a cartographer when I was doing my o levels (soon grew out of that). Good thread!

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
I love maps aswell - i always have one next to the toilet and just browse it when i'm dumping.
I was even tempted to join the army when i was 16 for about 3 nanoseconds because you can learn cartography in 2 years (and get to kill people). Anyway acid house came along and that was that!
So may questions - but what is the large 'Motor Works' on Stockport road in Levenshulme? Is it the Crossely Works? Didnt realise it was that old.
Thanks for sharing mooreside.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
The Longford said:
I love maps aswell - i always have one next to the toilet and just browse it when i'm dumping.
I've got an AtoZ of Liverpool an AtoZ of London, a 1964 AA London guide from Oxfam plus a fold out map of Sao Paulo on my bog window sil. :eek:hno:

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Isaac Newell said:
I've got an AtoZ of Liverpool an AtoZ of London, a 1964 AA London guide from Oxfam plus a fold out map of Sao Paulo on my bog window sil. :eek:hno:
:hahaha:

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
My AtoZ of Manchester disintegrated. There's a place in eastern Sao Paulo called "Nova Manchester" I'll take a pic of the map when I get home.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I lived in the Student Village (just north of where princess parkway meets the mancunian way) - I used to to walk to the Asda in Hulme. And I'd walk beside that part of princess parkway. I always wondered why it was so weird and unnatural; roads that lead to nowhere, unecessary bridges, and empty new offices, and completely abandoned land - all right near the center of manc! Pretty amazing following it through those maps and seeing they've rebuilt the whole place twice in the past 70 years!

This is a brilliant thread sjwmoore! Its definitely been saved ased :)

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
How to destroy a city, if the houses are unfit to live in then yes get rid but keep the streets. The streets are enbedded on our minds, you can change the buildings but if you change the street pattern then the city has gone.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I cycled too Asda in Hulme yesterday - rode through Victoria Park (first time I've ever been there). Very stange - haunted quality too it...a grand victorian park who's lost it's sense of identity. I almost sobbed amongst the childrens summer hats section.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Northbeach said:
I almost sobbed amongst the childrens summer hats section.
Are you sure you arent John Cooper Clarke in disguise?
Or Mark E Smith?
I think the council have put some money aside for Alexandra Park (i presume you mean that and not Victoria Park - although i may be wrong) and it was an amazing park in t'olden days.
What i find fascinating about the early C20th maps is the way Princess Rd justs disappears into the amorphous mass that is Moss Side. We think of it now as an important spine that darts us straight into the city centre but it has only had that identity in the last 30 years i suppose. I suppose the building of the M56 made it more important because of course Princess Road terminated at Barlow Moor Road when it was laid out in the 1930's.
Fascinating stuff.

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
I like the letterpress look more than anythin... apart from the historical value of course.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Its one thing to knock down a respectable building. ie, Assize courts, Old Royal Infirmary...

But to completely destroy such a large part of city, and a unique one at that!

The minds boggles. Just look at the difference between the 50s and the 80s. What a crying shame.

And, If anyone is familiar with Moston/blackley. Monart rd, Nepaul rd and Leegrange rd at the back of Harpurhey baths are perfect examples of how the council can modernise, doll-up and improve an early 20th century street. Ho hum.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Sorry Mez but i dont buy this.
I did quite a lot of research for my degree about slum housing and post war housing programme.
Hulme was a squalid slum - there was no two ways about it. It had to go. Perhaps the cure was worse than the illnesss but Hulme just couldnt have gone on the way it was.
The phrase 'unfit for human habitation' could have been written for Hulme.
I'm afraid there is too much 'rose tinted glasses' 'good old days' nostalgic rubbish talked about terraced housing as found in Hulme (which i'm not accusing you of incidentally).

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Fair do's. My only memories of hulme were those shitty grey, communist, slovak mid/high rises full of grafiti so anything else seems idealic.

Strange thing is my grandad helped knock down a lot of the old Hulme/moss-side. And here's my slagging out the deconstructees.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts