1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
I love those crazy dutch
11,569 Posts
I love wikipedia, but quoting it as source material for this kind of thread is useless.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Oh. Wow.

·
Less is more.
6,214 Posts
wikipedia don't mean shit, I could go on there right now and state Manchester has a population of 20m if I was that way inclined. Take no notice of it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
neil said:
Cheak out the website on wikipedia. Manchester is 22nd largest metropolitan area by population and 2nd in the UK.

Largest European Metropolitan Areas by Population

Manchester is 19th largest urban area of the EU and 3rd in the UK

Largest Urban Areas of the EU

Manchester is 61st largest city by population within city limits in the EU and 9th in the UK

Largest Cities of the EU by Population within City Limits
yea its strange to think that manchester is only the 9th biggest city in the uk.

·
All hail to the ale.
929 Posts
I didnt realise there were as many as 63 cities in the country.

·
Banned
6,512 Posts
This population thing is bananas

Stick a pin in the centre of whichever town, draw concentric rings every 5 miles out to a radius of 50miles and count the people.

Politcal boundaries do not show from space, houses do.

·
All hail to the ale.
929 Posts
ForeverSalfordRed said:
And probably a lot more too. Arent cities, a population with 20,000 or more for status?
Nah - can't be that low, else Greater Manchester would have 20+ cities surrouding it including places like Stalybridge, Sale, Altrincham etc.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
The word city has different meanings in different countries. All 23 wards that make up Tokyo are called Cities. Tokyo itself doesn't exist as a city, it's called Tokyo To, loosely translated as Tokyo Metropolis.

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
What the hell is all this about?

Wikipedia states that Naples has 4.4 million people, which isn't accurate. It may have that many within a 40 mile radius but that doesn't constitute an urban population.

The only way to judge the size of metropolitan areas is to study a population density map of Europe (the big red splodges) also taking into account population densities. It's not an exacting science, but here goes......

Huge......London, Paris, Rhine-Ruhr.
Big........2.5 million plus....Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Athens, Berlin, Birmingham, Manchester.

Followed by scores of places the 1 million plus bracket......Munich, Hamburg, Liverpool, Lyon, Marseilles, Liile-Roubaix-Tourcoing, Valencia, Lisbon, Turin and Naples and a whole load more.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.