SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
18,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
US venue development, advisory and investment company Oak View Group (OVG) has today (Wednesday) confirmed that it is working with City Football Group (CFG) on the potential development of a new arena on land close to the Etihad Stadium, home of English Premier League football club Manchester City.

The announcement comes after months of reports concerning the potential development of a venue that would rival Manchester Arena, which is located in the heart of the city centre. Following the opening of its UK office in March, OVG said that it was examining opportunities to bring the world’s best arenas to the world’s greatest cities.

It has now said it is working in association with CFG, parent company of Manchester City, in exploring the opportunity for a new arena at the Etihad Campus in East Manchester. Feasibility studies include engagement with local residents and businesses to understand community priorities.

OVG has stressed that any project in the city would be entirely privately-financed and would not seek any public subsidy. News of a possible second major arena for Manchester first emerged in December and the project has since been faced with multiple questions.

Manchester City Council last month added the proposed new arena as a future possibility under its development masterplan for the area. In June, the Council hit back at a report on the proposed new 20,000-capacity facility which claimed Manchester cannot sustain two large-scale arenas.

The independent study from accounting and consulting firm Grant Thornton UK concluded that the second venue would have a “devastating impact” on businesses close to the existing Manchester Arena and could put 2,200 jobs at risk.

The Council said it saw a “range of possible destination uses” for the land at Etihad Campus. Earlier in June, John Sharkey, executive vice-president of European operations at SMG, which runs the 21,000-capacity Manchester Arena, said that the city can’t sustain another arena of this size.
https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2019/08/21/oak-view-group-teams-city-football-group-proposed-arena-project/

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
It's completely unnecessary. They've got the similar sized arena of the MEN already which is right in Manchester city centre next to a mainline train station.

It's about making money for Man City but it'll only impact on the city centre arena Manchester already have. The Etihad stadium already tend to get the biggest acts instead of the MEN.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What manchester really needs is a 6-9k capacity theatre-shaped arena. The next largest music venue after the 22k capacity manchester arena is manchester apollo theatre which has a capacity of just 2.5k. There are no venues of a size in between despite a huge population.

·
Registered
396 Posts
What manchester really needs is a 6-9k capacity theatre-shaped arena. The next largest music venue after the 22k capacity manchester arena is manchester apollo theatre which has a capacity of just 2.5k. There are no venues of a size in between despite a huge population.

Manchester Central still claims to be able to host events for £10k, prior to the Building of Manchester Arena it regularly hosted the big names.
https://www.manchestercentral.co.uk/central-hall-1-2-combined

Looking at the entry on Wikipedia it does seem to blow hot and cold on hosting concerts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Central_Convention_Complex

·
Registered
9 Posts
Doesn't Manchester have a City Hall?

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
Two words: White. Elephant.

Not sure why Manchester, England needs to develop a second 20,000-plus-seater arena. Do they want to get rid of the existing Manchester Arena, despite its central location? Can they or can they not upgrade the existing arena somehow? I also don't know why anyone would think Manchester can support two large indoor arenas (a city the size of London can, though). I agree about the smaller arena; build that next to Etihad Stadium instead.

·
18,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oak View Group, supported by City Football Group, is undertaking feasibility studies for a potential new arena at the Etihad Campus in East Manchester.

We know that the local community will be very interested in these plans. Over the next few months, Oak View Group will consult with local residents and businesses to help shape our thinking.

The main focus for this first stage of consultation is what we need to do to support job creation and to make sure a new arena works for the community.

We are also keen to seek views on transportation and parking priorities for local residents, among other issues.

A planned second consultation, later this year, would ask for feedback on our more detailed plans.
https://www.eastlandsarena-consult.com/

·
How about a lighter hue?
702 Posts
I thought they were building it between the Etihad and town. Not actually on one of the car parks next to the Etihad?

I think the original idea was so much better or am I mistaking it for something else?

We need to be extending town outwards and building it just beyond the ring road is the way to go I think. It'd also kickstart the development of Central Park and presumably get something of a much-needed night-time economy going around there.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You need it away from the city centre ring road as traffic is bad enough as it is. Where as the etihad is on the outer ring road so not as bad. I think itll be on the land between the old gas holder and the canal. Only really place it can fit.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Two words: White. Elephant.

Not sure why Manchester, England needs to develop a second 20,000-plus-seater arena. Do they want to get rid of the existing Manchester Arena, despite its central location? Can they or can they not upgrade the existing arena somehow? I also don't know why anyone would think Manchester can support two large indoor arenas (a city the size of London can, though). I agree about the smaller arena; build that next to Etihad Stadium instead.
Could they knock down the arena and expand Victoria station? Maybe add more platforms.

·
Registered
758 Posts
As someone that hasn't ever been to the MEN or the Ethiad, I'm wondering how Manchester can support two venues of this standard. The MEN is old and tired, that is granted, but has had a renovation recently i think.

Im just wondering if this is play for Manchester to get their arena away from the city, and also into a modern events campus sort of thing. Get everything large in one area, and get everything large away from the city. It may be made tougher by the schedule of Man City, but if the infrastructure can handle an extra 20,000 on a match day, and an extra 6,000 more once the Ethiad is extended at the end that still needs to be extended why not? It's the Champions League and mid week night games, even the early evening Saturday and Sunday nights that raise concern to me.

I agree with many of the above, many cities in the UK that have arenas also need one or two other type of venues. The first is either a smaller theatre style that is between 3,000 and 4,000 capacity or a larger theatre style that is 5,500-7,000 is size. If Manchester had either of these in a multi purpose layout where the stalls could have seating removed or inserted where needed it would be ideal. The final venue size is a large arena that can host a football or rugby team with a circa 32,000 venue that can host gigs, something like the Tele2 in Stockholm or the La Défense Arena in Paris.

Those are the two or three venue types id like to see in Glasgow, and I'm sure Manchester would be like us, and would love them. Our cities need a variety of venues in order to attract as many acts into the UK as possible. I am one who now thinks the SSE Hydro is too small, and a extra 2,500-4,000 to the 13,000 may have been better when it was built.

I think that London is the only city in the UK that could sustain 2 arenas, or 3 of the MSG one goes ahead, it has two or three of all the other size of venue as well. Most other cities in the UK need three of four of the club sized venues, and two or three of the auditorium/theatre size and one or two small multipurpose arenas then one arena.

·
Registered
75 Posts
To be fair, there are 2 arenas in Birmingham with a 15,000+ capacity and they both seem to manage okay. There is a fair degree of separation between the 2 with one at the NEC and the other in the city centre, so I suppose I could see a second arena working in Manchester if it is also the hub of a wider exhibition/conference type centre.

The other thing in Birmingham is that one focuses mainly on entertainment (NEC), with the other a being more sports focussed arena (Arena Birmingham, which hosts Athletics, gymnastics etc), although obviously there is a fair degree of crossover.

·
18,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The first early-stage designs for the proposed arena at Manchester’s Etihad Campus have been revealed as Oak View Group looks to gauge public opinion on its potential £300m investment, which has already proved to be controversial.

The group has kicked off the first round of consultation on the arena at the Etihad, which is to be built on a vacant site owned by City Football Group on the approach to the Etihad Stadium, off Alan Turing Way.

The £300m investment has already moved at pace, with the first rumblings emerging in the summer. Populous been engaged as architect and preliminary designs have now been revealed for the first time.

The opening round of consultation is looking to gauge public views on how the arena will impact the local area, particularly in terms of traffic, one of the main sticking points already raised by local residents. More details are expected to follow at a second round of consultation later in the year.

The proposals have proved controversial with Manchester Arena and city centre businesses, who objected to the masterplan consultation due to fears a competitor arena would draw visitors away from the city centre.

The operator of Manchester Arena spoke out against the proposals, with executive vice-president of SMG John Sharkey telling Place North West “it is just not possible” for the city to support two arenas, “and if it’s not ours then the city will lose 1.2 million people coming through it, and could turn to tumbleweed.”

Sharkey added the proposals were “absolutely crazy” and “purely opportunistic”.

Responding to the criticism, representatives from Oak View at the event pointed out other cities in the UK – Birmingham and London – which support more than one arena; a similar approach in Manchester would help the city become more competitive on both a European and global scale.

Oak View argued the arena would be able to cater for a “wide range of event types” with the “large, enclosed venue” using “cutting-edge design and technology, as well as first class customer service to provide a truly outstanding event experience for a multitude of events”.

Oak View Group is currently leading projects in New York, Milan, Seattle, Austin, and Palm Springs, but the Manchester arena will be its first foray into the UK.

The group said funding would “move quickly” once a feasibility study is completed and planning permission is secured, with the arena to be 100% privately funded, through a mix of Oak View’s own funding along with debt and equity backing.

Manchester City Council has also supported the development of an arena through its Eastlands masterplan, which went out to consultation earlier this year.

Under the group’s timeline, a second round of consultation will take place before Christmas, with a planning application coming forward subject to feasibility studies and consultation feedback in early 2020. A contractor is yet to be appointed.
https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/oak-view-showcases-world-class-300m-etihad-arena/

·
18,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sir Robert McAlpine and Laing O’Rourke are both eying the chance to build a new 20,000-plus capacity arena in the shadow of Manchester City’s Etihad stadium.

The pair are understood to have been joined by Bam in looking at the job and one source said: “One of us will be successful in that. Everyone is going very hard for that one.”

Los Angeles-based developer Oak View Group launched a consultatation on the £300m plans last week with a second round due to take place before Christmas.
https://www.building.co.uk/news/mcalpine-and-orourke-eye-arena-next-to-manchester-city-stadium/5102249.article

·
18,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bam is reported to have won the contract to construct the new indoor arena set to be built next to Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium.

The Building news website claims Bam has beaten Laing O’Rourke and Sir Robert McAlpine to a contract it suggests is worth up to £150m.

Known as Project Bradford, the arena would be a focal point of the Etihad campus which is being developed by City Football Group (CFG) and Oak View Group (OVG), the development, advisory and investment company.

The Building website reports that OVG has asked Populous to come up with proposals for the venue, which is part of a wider Eastlands project that would feature a sports tech hub and retail and leisure facilities.
https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2020/02/24/bam-reported-won-manchester-arena-construction-contract/

1 - 20 of 38 Posts