SkyscraperCity banner

541 - 560 of 2151 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/nort...origin-and-renaissance-sites-up-for-sale.html

West's Origin and Renaissance sites up for sale
2nd November 2011

THE site of the stalled Origin development on Whitworth St and the Renaissance Hotel building on Blackfriars St in Manchester city centre have been placed on the market.

Both sites had been owned by West Properties, but are now up for sale as part of a £220m disposal of assets held by its founder, Donal Mulryan, which was sparked by the National Asset Management Agency (NAMA).

NAMA is the so-called "bad bank" set up by the Irish Government to deal with loan portfolios of the country's banks such as the nationalised Allied Irish and Anglo Irish Banks.

Property consultancy Savills has been appointed to sell the portfolio.
Savills declined to comment on the portfolio sale, and a spokesman for NAMA said it does not comment on individual loans or debtors.

A change of ownership could inject momentum into two important city centre sites where development activity has all-but ceased.

West Properties initially gained planning approval for a major mixed-use scheme on the Origin site in 2007, where it had reportedly lined up the upmarket W Hotel chain owned by Starwood group as the occupier for a 171-bed hotel. It also had approval for 60,000 sq ft of Grade A office space, 185 apartments, 17,000 sq ft of retail and 338 parking spaces.

The company also paid £20m to acquire the Renaissance Hotel and accompanying NCP car park in 2007 and then secured outline planning in 2008 for a series of buildings including a 36-storey round tower which were due to house a 250-bed hotel, 212,000 sq ft of office space, 60,000 sq ft of retail and 248 apartments.

However, the subsequent decline in the property market and funding difficulties has meant that neither project has got off the ground.

West Properties also owns a site at Sharp St in Manchester where it had proposed another hotel close to the Co-operative's new NOMA headquarters.

·
Mancunian Member
7,173 Posts
No mention of Vivo in that, but if the sales do help kickstart these schemes, then great.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Indeed. If somebody can get the Renaissance site on the cheap if may well be worth proceeding with a demolition and rebuild: The final large piece in Deansgate jigsaw?

I wonder if we would have a W Hotel by now if the City Councilahad not insisted on the whole site being developed in a single phase?

The fact that the underground car park has been built must make this an attractive buy if somebody can get it on the cheap. I just hope whoever gets it can realise the plans as West Propties saw them. This was my fav.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Indeed. If somebody can get the Renaissance site on the cheap if may well be worth proceeding with a demolition and rebuild: The final large piece in Deansgate jigsaw?

I wonder if we would have a W Hotel by now if the City Councilahad not insisted on the whole site being developed in a single phase?

The fact that the underground car park has been built must make this an attractive buy if somebody can get it on the cheap. I just hope whoever gets it can realise the plans as West Propties saw them. This was my fav.
I doubt whether either site will be going cheap.

As I understand it, both these sites are secured for Donal's loans; which were taken over by NAMA. NAMA are now selling the loans on, but I presume that the status of the sites remains as collateral for the loans.

So, in my view, no sale will happen unless the purchaser is offering enough to clear the original loan.

·
Registered
17,480 Posts
Interesting that just the hotel has been put in to extend the length of time for the planning approval.

Land Bounded By Princess Street / Whitworth Street / The Rochdale Canal And Venice Street Manchester

Extension of time limit on application ref 087671 for the erection of a 17 storey building (Use Class C1 Hotel) with associated plant accommodation, vehicular access and drop off point and associated landscaping works as revision to planning permission 081209/FU/2006/C3 approved 27/03/2007
http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=LSYKJ7BC06N00

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
You have no idea I hope this doesn't get built.

From this;

To this;

:eek:hno:

Turn it into a public plaza, with cafes and all the rest of it, a bridge to Canal St to entice more bars and things to open in the new plaza ,a large water fountain and a pretty damn big statue of Alan Turing, commemorating Manchester's greatest man in true fashion instead of hiding him away in Sackville Gardens.

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
I agree with you Volde, this should become Manchester's greatest public square. It's central park if you like. It should be the beating heart of the city and would do wonders for the area around it.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
You have no idea I hope this doesn't get built.

From this;

To this;

:eek:hno:

Turn it into a public plaza, with cafes and all the rest of it, a bridge to Canal St to entice more bars and things to open in the new plaza ,a large water fountain and a pretty damn big statue of Alan Turing, commemorating Manchester's greatest man in true fashion instead of hiding him away in Sackville Gardens.
Yeah, a vast improvement for me!

·
Banned
2,379 Posts
I agree with you Volde, this should become Manchester's greatest public square. It's central park if you like. It should be the beating heart of the city and would do wonders for the area around it.
THIS. That renders been around for so long even the design looks outdated. I mean who does random cladding these days. The view of them buildings is far better than anything that could be built on this site. If you wish hard enough, you’ll end up with another Dale St Premier Inn.

·
Registered
947 Posts
THIS. That renders been around for so long even the design looks outdated. I mean who does random cladding these days. The view of them buildings is far better than anything that could be built on this site. If you wish hard enough, you’ll end up with another Dale St Premier Inn.

I fully and enthusiastically agree, this as a park and the car park behind Affleck's and Stephenson Square to be public squares.

Total loss to the city one NCP, the gains would be enormous.Won't happen though. MCC are ruled by the £.

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
In Aberdeen they are turning a little used garden and a busy dual carriageway into a £150m public square funded by a £50m donation from a local businessman and use of TIF funding (similar to Metrolink phase 3), wouldn't it be great if something similar could happen here (and in the NQ), the net cost would be a lot less but the gains great.

·
Far East London
7,458 Posts
To be fair to the council, I seriously doubt they have the £20 million required to buy this plot and turn it into a park. I can't see the current owners giving it away either.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Economics will guide the future of this site.

As much as many on here would love to see "Oscar Wilde Square" emerge bold and proud as late Victorian dandy, NAMA are charged with selling off it's assists for the best price.

Nah it will be developed as another hideous looking hotel ASAP.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Economics will guide the future of this site.

As much as many on here would love to see "Oscar Wilde Square" emerge bold and proud as late Victorian dandy, NAMA are charged with selling off it's assists for the best price.

Nah it will be developed as another hideous looking hotel ASAP.
Agreed. You could probably landscape the area quite nicely, have it embedded into the ground from the adjoining Princess Street and Whitworth Street. But I don't think there is 'great' potential with two major roads nearby.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You know, I always loved the idea of a public square on this site, but it wasn't until I walked along Canal Street towards Princess Street that I properly appreciated what a world-class space we could have.

You wouldn't think it, but as it is, the view from Canal Street (the bit between Princess Street and Sackville Street) across the derelict Origin Site is actually magnificent; the streets lined with red-brick splendour, the canal trickling alongside, the best of the Industrial Revolution in a sea of majesty.

Seriously, I strongly advise people here to take that walk on a warm, sunny Friday evening, look past the trees and it is a majestic view and a perfect atmosphere.

I despise the term "world-class", but this is it, this could be Manchester's best shot at that kind of space. The setting is perfect; architecturally, centrally, and contextually - it's already a leisure spot, so it wouldn't be a big stretch to host a more family/leisurely assortment of cafés and restaurants.

Now I'm not a patron of the Canal Street establishments, but even I dread the thought of that view being obstructed. This land could easily become the best public realm in the city centre.

"Turing Square". It would be magnificent.

·
Banned
2,379 Posts
You know, I always loved the idea of a public square on this site, but it wasn't until I walked along Canal Street towards Princess Street that I properly appreciated what a world-class space we could have.

You wouldn't think it, but as it is, the view from Canal Street (the bit between Princess Street and Sackville Street) across the derelict Origin Site is actually magnificent; the streets lined with red-brick splendour, the canal trickling alongside, the best of the Industrial Revolution in a sea of majesty.

Seriously, I strongly advise people here to take that walk on a warm, sunny Friday evening, look past the trees and it is a majestic view and a perfect atmosphere.

I despise the term "world-class", but this is it, this could be Manchester's best shot at that kind of space. The setting is perfect; architecturally, centrally, and contextually - it's already a leisure spot, so it wouldn't be a big stretch to host a more family/leisurely assortment of cafés and restaurants.

Now I'm not a patron of the Canal Street establishments, but even I dread the thought of that view being obstructed. This land could easily become the best public realm in the city centre.

"Turing Square". It would be magnificent.
grumble grumble etc etc

541 - 560 of 2151 Posts