Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 360 Posts

·
Registered 外国人
121 Posts
The Cornerhouse have said on twitter that this isn't 100% yet as far as they know. I'm not usually one to go for the whole 'Manchester is become more soulless, they're knocking everyone down' argument but this one would be a shame if it went through. Given the various areas around Manchester which are ripe for redevelopment, plonking this thing here just seems disappointing. The former BBC site would be perfect for a development like this...

·
Yonner
13,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Cornerhouse have said on twitter that this isn't 100% yet as far as they know. I'm not usually one to go for the whole 'Manchester is become more soulless, they're knocking everyone down' argument but this one would be a shame if it went through. Given the various areas around Manchester which are ripe for redevelopment, plonking this thing here just seems disappointing. The former BBC site would be perfect for a development like this...
Exactly.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
But those who want to build this don't own that and are unlikely to buy that.

I presume that the corner house building is not listed, as I read from this that it's for the chopper, judging by the deliberately banal "Manchester Corridor" aimed for the esteemed despotic investment funds who will care little for Art films, probably would hang Morrissey from a crane and torture the like of Shaun Ryder with cattle prods when he ordered a beer, but as an opportunity in a distant town where Rooney plays.

But such is the world. That leisure facility. Groovy elegant folk ghosting onto the "Corridor" from a shinning behemoth of modernity, steel and glass.

Quite a party we have found
Mantovani flooding the lounge
Polite people, crazy feet
Night people... funky but neat
Burt Bacarach... a zillion strings
cool aromatic... luxury surroundings
See no evil... cheat cheat
Night people, funky but neat
Mr. Cavendish... meets Elizabeth
What happens is none of my business
Quite legal... short and sweet
Stereo heapdphones... whisper and shout
Invisible saxaphones fade in and out
Like treacle... tacky but sweet...
Twilight restaurants... you get it on a plate
No matter what you want...
but you've got to wait
Don't get the needle... and never speak
I like the nightlife... give me danger
I had a nice wife... she was a stranger
One of the people, I never meet
Quite a party we have found...
Mazaratti’s, Afghan Hounds
The right people... the wrong street

Wetherspoons then?

·
Registered 外国人
121 Posts
But those who want to build this don't own that and are unlikely to buy that.
Yeah I know. I'm just lamenting the situation.

Sad but seemingly inevitable.
500,000 sq ft on such a smallish site says 'scraper to me.
Well that's about double One St Peter's Square but wouldn't surprise me if it was spread over at least two buildings. You can see in this image, it's a fair sized site rather than just the cornerhouse itself.

And according to the MEN article there could be several buildings coming down as part of this as well.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
There's really no grounds for a listing, and it's just outside of the Whitworth Street conservation area.. I think the only way to save it would be for the public to buy it.

I just hope what we get is a worthy replacement.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I don't see how Network Rail can possibly move this development forward. As it stands, Oxford Road station is operating at its capacity. The gradient and size of the site is complex. There is little potential to expand the station due to the viaduct it sits on. The station structure is actually timber not for aesthetic reasons but because it is lighter than steel or masonry and consequently can be supported by the weak viaduct.

You only have to look at the struggle of developing the Fish Dock site as an example of Network Rail's speculative approach to development. Not to mention nothing much is happening on the old BBC site down the road and the opportunity there is 10x greater than Oxford Road with a blank canvas.

I hope the council realise we don't need yet another hole in the ground. If something deliverable (i.e. affordable, realistic and capital available) comes along then build it. If not (likely) and it is a speculative development just leave the Cornerhouse and lease it out to a couple of bars or restaurants for the time being. Here's hoping someone in the council takes a sensible approach.

·
Consumed
7,450 Posts
MCC statement on the Cornerhouse

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/200109/council_news/6592/statement_on_the_cornerhouse_building

"Following recent speculation in the media, we wish to clarify the position with regard to the building which is currently home to Cornerhouse. Contrary to the impression given in some reports, absolutely no decisions have been taken about the building's future once the new HOME, the organisation formed by the merger of Cornerhouse and the Library Theatre Company, moves from the building to their new venue at First Street in Spring 2015. It is the case that major improvements to Oxford Road station have opened up a regeneration opportunity for a 500,000sq ft site including the Cornerhouse building. It is also the case that Network Rail and Manchester City Council are looking for developers to bring this forward. But no specific proposals will be brought forward until developers submit them, so any suggestion that a decision has been taken to either retain the building as part of the development or demolish it is entirely wrong."

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow... seems very unusual for the council to deign to respond to a rumour... I wonder why they've bothered? Maybe they're proactively trying to avoid dealing with complaints and objections?
Yes, it's probably a case of that. They were probably worried about Twitter campaigns etc. being started before any decisions had been made.

In fairness to the MEN though the council aren't exactly saying that the building is safe in the statement. Simply that no decisions have been made. Although the headline in the MEN article may have been jumping the gun slightly, I think the article basically stated that the building could come down. Which it still could. I think the Evening News article was probably fair enough if it has drawn attention to a wider audience that the building could be under threat.

The mistake they made was possibly to say that the building was likely to come down. If the council is to be believed then it sounds as though there is no way of knowing yet whether the building is likely to come down. Then again, I would presume that the journalist had a source for this story that must have given the impression that the building was likely to go.

·
Yonner
13,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Wow... seems very unusual for the council to deign to respond to a rumour... I wonder why they've bothered? Maybe they're proactively trying to avoid dealing with complaints and objections?
My spin on this is that given HOME's success isn't yet or ever certain due to it's location and unknowability, so it would suit MCC to deflect any bad publicity.

Also people with big mouths are likely to open them over this, rather than random pub closures in Harpurhey or even Withington.

·
Registered
851 Posts
General Election due in 2015 and the number of these disparate campaigns about heritage vandalism & aloof Labour Councillors growing- with Library Walk review pending as well?

·
Weaste Infection
701 Posts
Any plans to do anything with the Grand Central pub building?

Looks very scruffy, and it's a crap boozer as well.

Can imagine the Palace Hotel would love for something better to happen with this plot.

1 - 20 of 360 Posts