Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Transport | Fantasy Rail Expansion

Here is my drawing of what manchester rail transport could look like. What do you think?

The blue lines are the existing rail lines
The green lines is the metrolink existing and planed and under construction.
The red lines are new rail lines.

The BIG red line is a four track new line to link Victoria and Piccadilly it would cut through post 60's council estates and would follow a path north mostly on a viaduct. Towards Rochdale Rd it would go over the existing approach and cross the medlock valley on a massive viaduct descend and rejoin the Red Bank alignment into a restored victoria with up to 12 platforms plus maybe the fabled extra two under the M.E.N.

I have also added the Castlefield Curve to create a circular route a round the City Centre.

DLJ

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
it's good, i like it
and it's nice to see that they've nearly finished refurbishing the metrolink; i was there yesterday and i LOVE the new yellow colours :p

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
i live in worsley, and i REALLY think we need a metrolink line around here to link us to the city centre !!

the nearest metrolink station is ladywell in eccles.

I'll draw up my plan and post it on here if you want;
but basically they could either build a metrolink line on the already-built Northern rail line which travels through Swinton, Moorside and Walkden to name a few areas of Manchester West, OR they could build a metrolink line running down the old railway line, which runs from Roe Green in Worsley all the way through to Bolton.

That would not only connect the whole of Salford to Manchester City centre, but it would also connect Bolton and other parts of North Manchester, too !!:)

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
I have already thought of that and it would use the old LNWR Bolton line. it would pass through Farnworth, Little Hulton, Walkden, Worsley and then Eccles, but Eccles is the difficult bit.

DLJ
Yeh .... Eccles wouldn't be difficult; you could just perhaps create an underground line and then connect that to the existing metrolink line at Eccles Station, which would create a sort of Circle Line.

However, the underground bit wouldn't be cheap ...

·
Banned
3,781 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did that map this afternoon it only took me an hour and I'm bored so Im doing another on but this time the city centre will be 50000 x 50000 px so the exact routes will be discernible including platforms etc. I will probably expand it to cover a much wider area and show up derelict rail lines as well.

DLJ

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
excellent :)

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Well i thought about making a fantasy map of Manchester's rail network; and this is what i came up with !

Behold - The Manchester Underground :colgate:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is a work in progress but flicker has shrunk it to the size of a wallpaper from 3000 px. If you zoom in you will be able to see the routes more clearly. If you think about the possibility of a train coming from wigan and terminating at platform 1 of piccadilly or a train from stockport terminating platform 2 of victoria a super flexible system. also note the castle field curve in the first image which makes it all possible this could be a possibility for the manchester hub.

DLJ

·
Like 'Berg'
6,849 Posts
VoldermortBlack, thank you for making your underground not only reach to Wigan, but to have a stop at Platt Bridge, which is where I reside - I would happily use your masterplan to go to the town centre and Manchester :| :D

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
haha :lol:
you're welcome :p

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Irlams o' th Height. Not Irlam!!!!

Irlam is woolyback/Macro.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
i'll change it but am not uploading it again !!

1 - 20 of 129 Posts