SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around for old pics/drawings/paintings of Manchester and just thought you'd like to see 'em. Enjoy.

Roman times

<Big Gap>

1200's, i think. Not much there.

Medieval Ages

Tudor/1500's

1650 - They smuggled a camera & a helicopter back in time.

1700's

1800's/victorian age

Look at those proposals for piccadilly gardens /\

Anyone seen this before? Proposed extensions to the royal infirmary \/

20th century

Now

I found these fascinating to view. I think it's interesting to see how the city has developed over the ages. (obviously with the largest growth spurt early 1800's). Of course there's plenty more drawings/paintings out there, so feel free to post some. :)

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts

This must be the CIS tower?

There is beautiful painting in Manchester Art gallery showing Manchester at the beginning of the C19th but cant remember who its by.
Loving the Roman image with Deansgate going off the the right.

Also loving that building to the right of Midland Bank with the funny roof detail which has now been replaced by some PoMo rubbish.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I love that proposal for the building above the old MRI when it was what is now Piccadilly Gardens. It's like the bottom half of the Eiffel Tower, with a chateau on top. As much as I love the facades of the MRI buildings on Oxford Road, I'd have preferred this weird concoction a lot more.

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
Kids in the riot said:

Look at those proposals for piccadilly gardens /\
Makes you weep to think what we could have had and then look at what we got a big pile of concrete shite.

Hope I've picked the correct one you were on about or I'll look a right numpty now.

That would have been so spectacular, it's obvious from some old pics that Manchester was busy building empire's while other cities were merely playing catch up.

·
Registered
822 Posts
rolybling said:
Makes you weep to think what we could have had and then look at what we got a big pile of concrete shite.
Fact is though, only the Royal Infirmary was built (in fact was already there before these plans). I have to be honest and say I prefer the buildings we have on the Oldham Street side of Piccadilly. They're a great mix of buildings and the Primark side is Ok and so is the Portland Street side (at least when you could see it before they ruined the view with no.1 Piccadilly). Also I still like the City Tower complex (esp when it and Piccadilly hotel are done up).

I can see the attraction of what would have been the Piccadilly equivalent of Newcastle's Grey Street, but somehow all that Georgian just looks so twee and boring when it's too extensive. All in all I prefer what we ended up with, though I can see why that sounds bizarrre when you look at what these plans show.

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
oh ....seriously skymann? Well we can agree to disagree, but I'd much rather see a grand avenue/boulevard like that than the hotch potch mess we have there now. I'm thinking Rome Paris London, people don't visit Manchester to look at City Tower and they don't visit London to look at Canary Warf. It's the historic buildings that draw the punters in. I think.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
skymann said:
Fact is though, only the Royal Infirmary was built (in fact was already there before these plans). I have to be honest and say I prefer the buildings we have on the Oldham Street side of Piccadilly. They're a great mix of buildings and the Primark side is Ok and so is the Portland Street side (at least when you could see it before they ruined the view with no.1 Piccadilly). Also I still like the City Tower complex (esp when it and Piccadilly hotel are done up).

I can see the attraction of what would have been the Piccadilly equivalent of Newcastle's Grey Street, but somehow all that Georgian just looks so twee and boring when it's too extensive. All in all I prefer what we ended up with, though I can see why that sounds bizarrre when you look at what these plans show.
I agree.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for the responses guys. Looking forward to any future pics. :)

Do you mean this one longy?

There's a better version of it hanging around somewhere. Commisioned by Queen Victoria herself :yes:

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol, yes, i don't suppose Queen Victoria would've been pleased with it like that!

I guess it's like that so people can't steal the print. However, as i've said there's a quality version around.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts

This image has all the attributes that the present day Piccadilly lacks. Scale, proportion, elegance and enclosure. I prefer the fact that there is greater architectural diversity in present day Piccadilly but I do not like how it has been excecuted - from an urban design point of view, present day Piccadilly is a shambles where as this proposal is significantly better (if a little too mannered and bland). The old infirmary however from the pictures I have seen seems to be the perfect fit for Piccadilly Gardens. Shame it was bombed.

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
SleepyOne said:

This image has all the attributes that the present day Piccadilly lacks. Scale, proportion, elegance and enclosure. I prefer the fact that there is greater architectural diversity in present day Piccadilly but I do not like how it has been excecuted - from an urban design point of view, present day Piccadilly is a shambles where as this proposal is significantly better (if a little too mannered and bland). The old infirmary however from the pictures I have seen seems to be the perfect fit for Piccadilly Gardens. Shame it was bombed.
I agree

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Sorry to be pedantic but the Infirmary was demolished way before the Luftwaffe had a good go at Piccadilly.
I like 'shambles'! As much as i like Brave New World town planning i prefer 'organic growth', which Piccadilly is.
Besides, the Georgian Piccadilly would never have survived the Victorians and their ruthlessness (no heritage nazis in them days).

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
Fair enough but allow us to wish we had something better without being too pedantic eh?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
mmm, I know what you mean but I prefer the "shambles" of St John's Gardens, Parsonage Gardens, Albert Square or Cathedral Gardens. Well planned spaces with buildings that relate to each other and the space they front despite a melting pot of architectural style.

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
SleepyOne said:
Well planned spaces with buildings that relate to each other and the space they front despite a melting pot of architectural style.
Unlike Piccadilly, much of which doesn't relate particularly well. A Georgian crescent would have been far preferable to the cacophany of different styles that constitutes Piccadilly now, especially the north side. I'm not saying it's ugly, but I don't like Victorian stuff as much as Georgian, which has so much more elegance.

Organic growth wouldn't have done much for vast swathes of West London, like Belgravia, Chelsea, Pimlico and Bayswater. These planned places make for a really beautiful urban environment, in my humble estimation. Piccadilly doesn't compare.

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
Jongeman said:
Unlike Piccadilly, much of which doesn't relate particularly well. A Georgian crescent would have been far preferable to the cacophany of different styles that constitutes Piccadilly now, especially the north side. I'm not saying it's ugly, but I don't like Victorian stuff as much as Georgian, which has so much more elegance.

Organic growth wouldn't have done much for vast swathes of West London, like Belgravia, Chelsea, Pimlico and Bayswater. These planned places make for a really beautiful urban environment, in my humble estimation. Piccadilly doesn't compare.
Fanfair...exactly. I wish people were allowed opinions without someone trying to make them look foolish. I'd rather have what's in that picture any day than what we have in Piccadilly now, it looks like a provincial dump. There is nothing elegant or even attractive about Piccadilly, a total mish mash. Sure some of the Victorian buildings are nice but some of them sit next to what can only be described as criminal architecture, oh and there's the small matter of the plaza and hotel complex, if anyone would seriously prefer that to those lovely Georgian buildings they need their head testing IMO.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts