Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On top of £500m already allocated to Manchester for the expansion of it's tram system, the city has bid for £1bn of Government funding plus the right to take out a £2bn loan for public transport improvements, which should be in place by 2012. The bid comprises of the following:

• Rush hour 2 zone congestion charging
  • Expansion of Metrolink tram network from the current 37 stops to 115 stops
  • Construction of 12 new Park & Ride centres
  • Four new integrated transport interchanges
  • Five upgraded railway stations
  • Upgraded heavy and light rail rolling stock
  • 31 new segregated bus lanes and 2 new dedicated busways
  • 500 new yellow school buses
  • Integrated ticketing system, real time passenger information system and on-vehicle information systems throughout the city
  • Improved service integration to improve interchange

This is on top of the existing funding package which, over the same period, is expected to see 4 bus stations rebuilt. Normal buses are privately owned and operated, so funding from the city is not required to ensure these are upgraded.

What do you think of the plans?

·
Registered
63 Posts
These plans seem like they could be very beneficial to the city. I think it's a shame there aren't any plans for an underground railway/tramway route in that but then I think if the proposed congestion charging goes ahead and clears out as much traffic as the London scheme has then the trams running on roads in the centre will move more easily.

Any idea whether the integrated ticket system will have a smart card system like the Oyster?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea whether the integrated ticket system will have a smart card system like the Oyster?
It seems that an Oyster-like system is the way they're thinking of going at the moment, but there are no firm plans yet.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On top of the £3bn (US$6bn) TIF bid, a decision on which is due before Christmas, a feasibility study is ongoing into a new £2bn (US$4bn) expansion of Manchester's heavy rail network. This will include an expansion of Piccadilly station and a new line linking the main terminii at Piccadilly and Victoria. On top of this, Network Rail has put out to tender the redevelopment of Manchester Victoria Station. Total investment planned for public transport, excluding the airport, in Manchester is in the region of £7bn (US$14bn).

·
53,436 Posts
no road projects?

However, i wish they spend this kind of money in Dutch cities. Everything has to be cheap here. Our transport budget is way too low :eek:hno:

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no road projects?

However, i wish they spend this kind of money in Dutch cities. Everything has to be cheap here. Our transport budget is way too low :eek:hno:
There are extensions to the M60 orbital motorway ongoing or in planning, as well as a couple of bypasses and the like, but I was just listing the public transport stuff. Funding for public transport in the UK is traditionally quite difficult to come by, but suddenly in the past 12 months we've had these £7bn of projects in the pipeline for Manchester and the £16bn Crossrail in London approved. Methinks someone slipped something in Gordon Brown's coffee!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts