Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
26,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll come when the new library walk is finally open........ When will that be?
Can't be long now I wouldn't have thought, August at the latest. Although I imagine the whole of St Peter's Square will still be a construction site at that time anyway.

I think you'd enjoy the area around Worsley, Jane. Canals, (Mock) Tudor architecture, trees, suburbia galore!

·
Bike It!
22,249 Posts
Some amateur photos from me - very amateur! My pictures are no where near as good as the quality on other Urban Showcase forums, but this is my city from my perspective, enjoy!
That's the right spirit. Good start, I like them! :eek:kay:

·
Registered
26,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Salford.

A bit further out into the city's neighbouring borough: Salford. There's a disappointing lack of red brick, and as always they're amateur photos ;) but Salford is where I live :)

ELLESMERE PARK, MONTON

A purpose-built suburb with large houses and lots of trees, quite a wealthy area:

I quite like this one:

Monton High Street is an "up and coming area"

I quite like this brutalist building in Eccles:

Salford Quays:

And finally, this photo was taken from Salford but the buildings on the right hand side are in Central Manchester. The river running between them is the boundary between C.Manchester and Salford:

:banana:

·
Registered
26,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Manchester suburbs

25C/77F: SUNNY

Had a walk around the leafy suburbs today.

Gated communities around Chatsworth Road

In this area, houses are knocked down and more houses built on the site, as in the photo below where 3 houses have been squeezed onto a site where there was originally one large house, or a larger house (or mansion) is built.

The area is, like all areas, "made" by the existence of these magnificent trees:

Another case where three houses have been built on the site of previously one house:

The sun was against me on this photo, but this is an example of a house which was demolished and an even larger house built on top.

Townhouses in the same neighbourhood:

·
Registered
26,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Manchester, June 12th 2014

26C/79F: SUNNY

Today I explored around Platt Fields Park, in the south of the city, before heading back into China Town and the area around Oxford Street.

Platt Fields Park is by far the largest inner city park in Manchester, and together with Birchfields Park and Richmond Park it forms somewhat of a 'Green Zone' about a mile or two from the centre of town.

I then took the bus back into town.

City Tower looms over Piccadilly bus terminal:

... and began taking photos around Oxford Street

The large white building is St James' House.

I'm not happy with how this photo turned out, but it was about 6 o clock by the time this was taken so the street was all shadowy:

.... so I focussed upwards instead (why not?). I actually think sky blue is an awesomely beautiful colour, by far the best colour in the natural world.

Again shadowy due to the position of the sun, but this is one of the many canals running through Central Manchester. It creates an eiree effect, stepping off the hustle and bustle of Oxford Street onto this quiet little canalside:

I then pushed on up Portland Street towards China Town.

Portland Street:

More red brick (what else did you come here for?!)

Manchester's China Town is one of the oldest and largest in the UK (I think it's second after London, I'll have to check). It also contains a good few thousand residents, mostly Chinese, including an old people's home right in the centre of Manchester! Again the residents here are mostly Chinese.

Approaching the Arch:

General Streetscape shots. Again, being a mainly residential area which only comes alive at night, China Town feels a bit like an urban oasis during the day - away from all the noise and people. I hope these photos reflect Chinatown's pretty relaxed atmosphere:

·
Registered
26,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
June 12th 2014, cont.

26C/79F: SUNNY

After China Town I ended up on Princess Street, which is full of totally stunning buildings. I'll cover Princess Street properly another time, but unfortunately today I ran out of time.

I'll give you all a cheeky peek though:

And finally, a shot from while I was waiting for the bus:

1 - 20 of 107 Posts