SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Manchester has long had a strong tradition of diversity and tolerance and no more so than in the world famous Gay Village.

Manchester's Gay Village consists of a block of streets, the most famous being Canal Street.In fact there are several streets that make up the village including Bloom Street and Sackville Street.The Gay village is home to the annual lesbian and gay mardi-gras which takes place the last bank holiday weekend of August.Locally it is commonly refered to as simply "The Village"

The village is not just a collection of bars and clubs, there are two gay hairdressers, a gay doctors surgery and even gay taxi companies as well as plenty of gay hotels and accommodation. The businesses are represented by the village business association and there are also several prominent charities based around the village such as the Lesbian and Gay Foundation, George House Trust and Body Positive.

Canal Street was made famous by the Channel four drama series Queer As Folk which has been shown worldwide. Theres also one thing theres plenty of and that good looking guys and girls.

text lifted from http://www.egoit.co.uk/gim/

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought it was about time The Village had it's own thread, love it or hate it, it's an essential cog in Manchester's regeneration over the past decade and more.

Add any new bits and bob's as and when appropriate.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
The gay village is great.I love visiting the gay village its a great atmosphere especially in summer when the place is buzzing,though I think the likes of me are known as tourists ;) Its a great for a night out and even on a warm day its nice to sit in one of the many pavement bars and cafes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i really like the gay village too. its a totally friendly atmosphare in this quater. i never thought that manchester is such a liberal city. in my home town the 3-4 gay pubs/bars are hidden in dark and unfriendly places...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Don't u guys think it's great how the village is slap bang in the middle of city centre but seems more relaxed? Especially on a nice hot day, it's great to chill out in the sun on the 'treat'.

·
Bacon
410 Posts
I worked on Bloom Street in the mid 90's, a summertime post-work beer outside one of the Canal Street bars was one of life's little pleasures. I used to park my car on a tiny little lot next door to Manto (it's been built on now I think) - you could tell if it had been a hot sunny day cos getting back to my car at 5.30 it would always have about 50 empty bottles and pint-pots on the roof :lol: :cheers:

·
Music is my lover.
432 Posts
I like what it does for the gay community, but it's not everybodys cup of tea...although on a nice day it is nice to sit outside in.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The village is great, no doubt about that. I just wish the other side of it was developed a bit more. At the moment all there is is a car park. While up near Churchill's there is that redbrick building. That would look great with a little bridge across to it and some active uses inside.

·
Music is my lover.
432 Posts
Yeah...the only thing about the gay village is that it has become its own stereotype.
There needs to be a lot more alternative bars, clubs, places...that'd make it truly great...for example, the only rock/indie nights i know of are Poptastic in Mutz Nutz, that's it! :(

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It doesn't need any more bars it needs other things like shops, all sorts of shops, a bakery, newsagent, gift shops, grocers, anything but more bars.

·
Mancunian Member
7,180 Posts
Transport Torre Agbar from Barcelona to the Gay Village! Colourful and Phallic....perfect! j/k!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like the village but its mainly white boys in tight tops and funny hair cuts, not much diversity around is there..it needs a little more COLOUR

Good idea for a thread though

·
Music is my lover.
432 Posts
That's what i mean FunkPhenomenon...unless you're into all that then it's...well, shite!

·
Banned
278 Posts
Shouldnt there be a sign saying 'Welcome to the suburb of Gommorrah'? What a stupid thread.
The word 'gay' originally meant happy, not sodomy. I for one dont applaud anything unnatural and Im entitled to my view.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes you are entitled to your view but describing it as unantural is completely wrong on all fronts.

Being gay is as natural as the sun rising. You are born with it, just like people are born with brown hair or blue eyes.

It is NOT a lifestyle choice which is the myth portrayed by the church and other conservatives.

But I would expect nothing less from a person who fly's the Israeli flag next to their name.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts