SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think?

'City to follow Hollywood's trail of glory?'

'IT sounds like one of his famous wind-ups but i'm told that Key 103 presenter Steve Penk is deadly serious about getting Manchester a Hollywood-style Walk of fame.'
'The DJ has launched a campaign to get Deansgate lined with names of stars from the region such as Albert Finney, Ben Kingsley and Noel Gallagher to create a feature he believes would give Manchester an edge over all other UK cities.'
"The list of famous Manchester people is absoutely endless, " he says. "Music, soccer stars, TV and showbusiness personalities-the lot. It would be great and lasting way of reconising our fabulous talent,"
Steve is now asking people to join his petition to get the Walk of Fame on the council's agenda. "Hollywood has its own Walk of Fame," he explains. "But Manchester would be the only British city to adopt the idea. It really would put us on the map and be an added tourist attraction.
"Who knows, we may be able to get many of the famous personalities featured on the walk to add their own signatures to make it even more exclusive. Key 103 listeners have already come up with fabulous suggestions for inclusion in the list.
"Oasis, half the Manchester football clubs and stack of folk from television too. And let's not forget the cities investors and visionaries who helped make Manchester great."
To join Steve's petition, send a letter with your full name, address and daytime telephone number, with your suggestion of a personality for inclusion on the Walk of Fame, to:Steve Penk's Walk of Fame, Key 103, Castle Quay, Castlefield, Manchester. M15 4PR.

This was out of yesterdays Manchester Evening News.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,751 Posts
I wouldn't say no to it.. but we do say Manchester is 'modern and original' so.. would we want to merely 'tea-leaf' the Yanks with their attractions?? Maybe we could have something a little different...Either way, it all adds to the character and coolness of Manc

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I like the sound of it , but it's unoriginal,

I do agree that the city needs to come up with a few more tourist attractions,to pull people in from outside the city,,,something like this would'nt cost that much either,
But if this was to come off ,why just stick with Manchester born personalities,and just on one street,,,
I think it would be even better all over the city,for eg,,,music stars could be concentrated around the Printworks (Hardrock Cafe)and the Victoria area,,
Soap and film stars could be along Deansgate,
Sport stars could be around Castlefield and Spinningfields,,even gay stars on Canal Street
And around Albert Sq (Town Hall),keep that for influential people who have helped turn Manchester around
Also down Oxford Rd could be for famous people who have graduated from Manchester's Uni's

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Tea leaf the Yanks attraction?????
Ferge matey , they have tea leafed every attraction possible from all over the world,they just make it a bit bigger ,stick a bit of glitter on it and they go WOW

A few years ago when i went to Paris ,i was queuing to go up the Eiffel Tower,there was this huge fat arse yank infront of me,and i overheard him say ,,,,,The one in Vegas is better,,,i just wanted to give him a SLAP :)

·
SSC Member
1,893 Posts
I reckon this is an alright idea but maybe on King Street (as long as its going ot be classy) all the way up. That road is too wide so maybe do something to narrow or pedestrainise further parts.
I've always thought it could be a manchester version of a 'Rambla' which you find in any spanish town.
I know the council wanted the updated market st to be like that but its just not. King St, thats the place for this....

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
So downmarket it's unbelievable, can just imagine the C listers on the front page of the MEN (but not any other paper in the country) as they unvail another star.

Every city has had it's share of celebrity citizens.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Indeedy, it's a bad idea, although something original on those lines wouldn't be terrible. A monument to Manchester's famous sons [and daughters], founders etc... Maybe a little painted egg for each one. I for example, didn't know that Alan Turing and Archimedes were Mancs until I saw the statues. A new museum perhaps?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Colleen on John Dalton Street.

Whats the chances of the Food Court ever hitting the dust, or anyone taking occupancy in the cheap curved effort deemed too tawdry for Benetton?
Then we could talk more of a rambla's style walkway. The Cobbles and one of Market street save it's skin.

Archimedes was from Donny.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
The Rambla in Barcelona is about 5 times longer than Market Street, a lot wider, tree lined and sunny.

What I would like to see is a glass roof covering the whole length of Market Street, about three storeys high. Did anyone see that Victorian metal roof going through the centre of Damascus on TV, superb urban design.

Cobble the street underneath the roof and keep the street as a throughfare open at all times.

It would help mask the arndale centre and create a pleasant space.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Its a crap idea, very unoriginal. There's one being done in Great Yarmouth and they're patting themselves on the back thinking how clever they are. Having said that I'm looking forward to seeing the Nookie Bear one.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Genuine Stars only please!

I think anybody who has genuinely complemented Manchester on a global scale; born here, or adopoted sons/daughters of Manchester, should be given a brass plaque, eg George Best, Morrissey, John Dalton-with a short paragraph of their contribution. This could then go on the facade of the concrete wall in Picc Gdns.

Alternatively the Train Stations and tram stops could display such plaques/paving stones. This would give character and significance to these places, many of which lets face it have been built very much with a budget in mind and function aside do little for the city. Equally local significance and relevance could be granted to each individual plaque-City/Utd Stars near there respective Stadia, Academics at Oxford Rd and UniversityApproach.....

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Brighton boy said:
There's already one of these at Brighton marina.walk of fame brighton
and here
And doesn't Liverpool have one on the promenade at the 'International Garden Festival' site? I would point out though, that it would only be of interest to locals and have practically no interest to those, tourists and visitors, from outside of Manchester. Everyone wants to see Elvis and Marylin's et.al. star in Hollywood but how many, none Mancunian, people would be interested in seeing Freddy Garrity or John Barbarolli's star? It is a good idea to honour passed citizens who, like John Barbarolli, have contributed to the local culture, sport etc. but is this the right way to do it?

·
Mmm, Danone
2,040 Posts
It'd cost a lot of money but I dreamt something quite nice last night. Imagine a public square, the size of Albert Square, and all our real famous Mancs who've made some form of impact on history (Oasis included, yes) would be represented by statues of them doing what would be relative to them. Example, the famous musicians could all be in a busking circle at one of the square. Lowry could be sat on a bench with pad and pencil looking at great scene, Norman Foster looking up at a stunning building, Alan Turing maybe even sat with an Apple iBook as some silly reference to the iBook only being possible due to his computer.

Silly gay things anyway. Ignore me, I'm 6 beers in and located in bat country.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It'd cost a lot of money but I dreamt something quite nice last night. Imagine a public square, the size of Albert Square, and all our real famous Mancs who've made some form of impact on history (Oasis included, yes) would be represented by statues of them doing what would be relative to them. Example, the famous musicians could all be in a busking circle at one of the square. Lowry could be sat on a bench with pad and pencil looking at great scene, Norman Foster looking up at a stunning building, Alan Turing maybe even sat with an Apple iBook as some silly reference to the iBook only being possible due to his computer.

Silly gay things anyway. Ignore me, I'm 6 beers in and located in bat country.
Sorry to bring this up after 4 AND A HALF YEARS!!! :) but i loved this idea! Except i wouldn't just limit it to one area, i would have them all over the city centre, imagine 40-50 statues of our most famous people all around the city centre with information on why they are manc "gods", you could even have a "treasure hunt" style thing happening where tourists could get their picture taken with every one, would bring more people to the city.

I love Manchester but one thing that pisses me off is that it is a sleeping giant that is losing it's identidy and becoming another UK City. It is better than that, it has alot more going for it than other cities. I see it as the UK's New York and it's time we started acting as big and ambitious as New York and give the tourists something to see that they can't anywhere else in the world, which is what makes a world class city like New York, Paris, Tokyo different and amazing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts