Votes: 7 9.7%

Votes: 5 6.9%

Votes: 12 16.7%
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BEHOLD....the world's tallest and most impressive skyscraper in Wolverhampton.......

MANDER HOUSE

Built: Circa 1960
Height: 3,001 meters
Floors: 451.5 + 45 floors underground
Fact: The first Die Hard movie was filmed here. Bruce Willis was often seen frequenting Sainsbury's & the Wimpy Burger restaurant in 1986 during its filming.

View from the penthouse suite:

In 2001, I wrote the words 'F**k Albion' somewhere at the back of the building.

Mander House makes the Empire State Building look like a 10 storey council block in Brierley Hill, complete with an assortment of chavs, Bosnian refugees and vomit in the lifts.

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
Wonderful post! :rofl:

Seriously though, Mander looks good now she's had a clean up, and she is a good example of her type.

AND, what impresses me is that the copper/green crown contains all the crap such as plant area, antennae etc. It really pisses me off that we have tall buildings spoiled by clusters of stuff at the top.

If all buildings of this era looked like this, maybe we wouldn't be in such a rush to pull them down,

6/10

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Biosonic said:
Wonderful post! :rofl:

Seriously though, Mander looks good now she's had a clean up, and she is a good example of her type.

AND, what impresses me is that the copper/green crown contains all the crap such as plant area, antennae etc. It really pisses me off that we have tall buildings spoiled by clusters of stuff at the top.

If all buildings of this era looked like this, maybe we wouldn't be in such a rush to pull them down,

6/10
In all seriousness, Mander House 'aint a bad looking building at all. I've actually had the pleasure of going inside the building and it's very nice....nice place to work, if I say so myself. The only thing I don't like about Wolverhampton is the monster maze multi-storey car park....although it's handy for the shops, etc.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The thing with this building is that you never really notice it apart from on a few streets as it's built on top of the shopping centre, so it doesn't really create much of an impact as you're walking around town, as for the building itself well after it's clean up it still looks dirty and I think it could do with a reclad personally.

Here's a pic I took of it:

It's got a nice chunky design and 'solid' feel to it which I like, I just wish it wasn't so grey.

I give it a 4.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,805 Posts
Juan Kerr said:
In 2001, I wrote the words 'F**k Albion' somewhere at the back of the building.
And it was me who wrote "Juan Kerr desperately wants to..." at the beginning of your graffiti on Mander House.

I think that statement complements "Wolves are shit" scribbled on a bridge by the Hawthorns. ;)

If it was me, I'd write "I was born in Wolverhampton but I'm sympathetic to every football team in the country." Or more simply "Football is boring".

But back to Mander House, I like it and it's a relatively good landmark for the city centre. It's just a shame that it's dwarfed by most of the residential tower blocks. :yes:

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Butterfield said:
And it was me who wrote "Juan Kerr desperately wants to..." at the beginning of your graffiti on Mander House.

I think that statement complements "Wolves are shit" scribbled on a bridge by the Hawthorns. ;)

If it was me, I'd write "I was born in Wolverhampton but I'm sympathetic to every football team in the country." Or more simply "Football is boring".

But back to Mander House, I like it and it's a relatively good landmark for the city centre. It's just a shame that it's dwarfed by most of the residential tower blocks. :yes:
See you next season in the REAL league....

Nothing like the Wolves/WBA rivalry. I'd actually like to see BOTH teams in the Prem so I'd be able to watch the Black Country derby from here.

Mander House isn't a bad building....and I know they were renovating the Mander Centre before I left.

p.s. F**k Albion!

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
It's such a fucking short arse innit? Did any of you know that tall buildings in Wolverhampton are banned because of an old ruling that states that NO NEW STRUCTURE SHOULD BE BUILT TALLER THAN THE TOWER OF ST PETER'S PARISH CHURCH IN THE CITY CENTRE FOR AT LEAST 400 YEARS? :yes:

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
6/10
Really liking this. Looks late 50's early 60's. Got that nice refinement you got in that period before bruatlism took over.
Good solid fenestration, nice jaunty copper roof, good dimensions and mass.
Has it been cleaned recently? Looks good.
Like the groovy 'sail' type things on the carpark. What are they?

Good stuff - will look out for this next time i'm in Wolves (but perhaps not the graffitti eh?).

·
3,633 Posts
^^ I know it's not a great building but it's nice to see it get a positive reaction.

Like the groovy 'sail' type things on the carpark. What are they?
I think they're just over the top light posts that make the car park slightly more welcoming.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Its one of those fwe buildings that shows the early build up to the architecture we love to hate from the 1960s.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's the most disgusting building in the city by far, but I feel as I was born there I must stand up for my city!! It's a great place to live and I really don't think anyone should judge a whole city by one very badly designed mediocre quality monstrosity.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts