Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Basically flats above the shops.
More of this kind of thing is needed, as long as the quality of the conversion is there of course.
Having people living right in the heart of the town and finding new uses for the upper floors of old buildings that would otherwise remain empty is exactly what we need to create real density and vibrancy.

Par for the course in London and other proper European cities, we're only really finding our feet in this market and not before time.

·
Consumed
7,446 Posts
Lookin Up said:
More of this kind of thing is needed, as long as the quality of the conversion is there of course.

Par for the course in London and other proper European cities, we're only really finding our feet in this market and not before time.
I totally agree. There were some apartments created in the upper floors of some buildings near the Abode hotel at Piccadilly a few years ago and I remember them looking fantastic. I probably wouldn't live in them myself but it creates more choice for buyers and renters.

There are so many buildings around town where the upper floors could be put to much better use. Many are just storage space for the shops below or the buildings owners. There should be some kind if survey to determine the scope of the buildings that would be suitable for residential dwellings and some kind of incentive given by the council. Makes sense given that we're running out of rental properties in the centre but no one can afford to build a new block.

·
Sir Lord Baltimore
472 Posts
Having people living right in the heart of the town and finding new uses for the upper floors of old buildings that would otherwise remain empty is exactly what we need to create real density and vibrancy.

Agreed.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
There are plenty of flats above shops in the suburbs I.e on Moncton road near where I live there are flats above shops all down the high street. Wonder why the city centre shops/restaurants etc has taken a while to do the same? Maybe because of more higher end / expensive shops and will mean higher costs to insure if the upper floors are let to residential markets? There will be a greater fire risk to the building I suppose...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always wanted to live above McDonalds on Oxford St or St Annes Square; free wifi and a great breakfast! (or lunch, or dinner, or midnight snack - with it being 24/7! ;))
haha, that free wifi would actually save around £40+ a month just on not needing a landline and an isp!

I'd definately spend that in breakfast there though :<<

as usual, any serious interest in this development will come down to price and fixtures/fittings (as a FTB who's actually going to live in wherever I buy for 10+ years I don't want to make a mistake!)

·
Registered
26,722 Posts
There are plenty of flats above shops in the suburbs I.e on Moncton road near where I live there are flats above shops all down the high street. Wonder why the city centre shops/restaurants etc has taken a while to do the same? Maybe because of more higher end / expensive shops and will mean higher costs to insure if the upper floors are let to residential markets? There will be a greater fire risk to the building I suppose...
I also live in Monton! :)

A few of the upper spaces are being advertised as offices. I always thought that, traditionally, the shop owners lived in the space above the shop/pub?

haha, that free wifi would actually save around £40+ a month just on not needing a landline and an isp!

I'd definately spend that in breakfast there though :<<
Certainly would, and plus it would be all night-round as well because McDonalds operates 24/7!

·
*THEIYR'RE
7,328 Posts
VDB said:
A few of the upper spaces are being advertised as offices. I always thought that, traditionally, the shop owners lived in the space above the shop/pub?
Yes historically the living space above the shop was inhabited by the owners or the workers from the shop below. Go back 100 years this would have been true even of shops like Sainsbury's in many instances. On the west side of the road in Monton, the shops were built as houses originally and then converted, the extra deep pavements that side of the road is because they had front gardens, long since paved over.

Going back to topic, I'd love to see more residential in town above the shops on roads like Deansgate, as it brings life to the street long after office workers have gone home.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
The bank I used to work for would often rent out flats in buildings it owned. Some of those suburban victorian units had huge rooms acres of space for lowish rent. The problem was they were alleyway access with no parking. Some of them required you to scramble up several exterior metal staircases to get into them.

I know of one place where this did not work. A small branch where the robbers forced their way into the flat above the branch, stabbed the renter and then cut their way through the ceiling and waited in ambush for the staff. Not a good day, some of them were badly beaten.

As a former mortgage advisor lending on flats above units could be problematic. To qualify the unit needed it's own street entrance, and the type of shop below could effect the ability to lend. Dry cleaners, fast food were not looked on kindly.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Thanks RP, interesting. Hadn't thought of the mortgage perspective.
I have done some of these conversions myself but only for the rental market - there are tax breaks for doing so.
Trouble is, even with the tax breaks, there's still not much money in it outside London and the SE.
The main issues are access, exploitative and generally obstructive utility companies and over the top fire and sound insulation regulations.
Still I would have a proper look at the right opportunity in Man CC

·
Registered
160 Posts
Blimey. I live in Monton too.

Didn't the planning permission for these get kicked around a while ago, and then the building went up for sale?

Definitely a good spot for some higher quality resi though, which is what Manchester needs desperately.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Blimey. I live in Monton too.

Didn't the planning permission for these get kicked around a while ago, and then the building went up for sale?

Definitely a good spot for some higher quality resi though, which is what Manchester needs desperately.
Just had another poster on here PM me they live in Monton too.....Monton must be the place to be!

·
*THEIYR'RE
7,328 Posts
I used to live very near Monton too. I was in Louis's (sic) having an ice cream only last week.

Anyway.... How long has it taken to get these apartments in to the market? Wasn't the building's refurb (or at least the retail and restaurant floors) completed years ago?

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Thanks RP, interesting. Hadn't thought of the mortgage perspective.
I have done some of these conversions myself but only for the rental market - there are tax breaks for doing so.
Trouble is, even with the tax breaks, there's still not much money in it outside London and the SE.
The main issues are access, exploitative and generally obstructive utility companies and over the top fire and sound insulation regulations.
Still I would have a proper look at the right opportunity in Man CC
My sister owns a rental company and a client of hers built some nice new superinsulated flats, they are all electric heated because British Gas wanted £19,000 to connect them to the gas pipe, even though it was a redevelopment of an old high street shop right on the main road!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
My sister owns a rental company and a client of hers built some nice new superinsulated flats, they are all electric heated because British Gas wanted £19,000 to connect them to the gas pipe, even though it was a redevelopment of an old high street shop right on the main road!
Yep, British Gas are the worst culprits. Most if not all of our new projects of this nature will be all electric for the same reason. Saves on all the plumbing costs and boiler maintenance contracts too, plus Landlord Gas Certs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.