Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
....so I was sent to New Jersey for work and managed to wangle a few hours in NYC, did a whistle stop tour on foot, didn't have my 'proper' camera so all pics were taken with my Nokia N95, hope you like 'em!

Quick summary - arrived by bus from NJ at Port Authority, walked down 42nd street, back up to Central Park, up to the Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center (top recommendation by my Jersey girl friend Deb - no queues and a bargain at $18...fantastic views of Manhattan) which was awesome, down 5th Ave, Washington Square & West Broadway via the WTC site (eerie, but spoiled somewhat by street hawkers selling merchandise) to Battery Park and all the way back up Broadway to Times Square and a bus to Newark to fly home, blistered and exhausted but completely blown away!

So, enough tourist waffle...to the pics -

1. Entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel, New Jersey. There's a little baseball pitch on top of it. And a river.

2. Times Square, the dude on the right is selling open top bus tour rides...I didn't bother. My feet cursed me for it.

3. 42nd Street, looking towards the Chrysler Building, no introduction necessary!

4. Empire State et al from Bryant Park

5. more from Bryant Park

6. Now, this is why they say new arrivals in NYC can be distinguished by their heads thrown back staring in an up up UP posture!

7. Chrysler Building, 5th Avenue, McDonalds, Yellow Cab speeding off, could it be more New York?!

8. Giant Legoland, 42nd St East

9. Near the UN buidling I think

10. oops, that Chrysler Building again :)

11. I think this building is a Hilton hotel, but I could be completely wrong!

12. buildings, offices, glass, condo's, towers, hang on, what's that in the background....? :)

13. I don't know what this building is, but I LOVE it!

14. higgledy piggledy jigsaw

15. Quick rest stop in Central Park

16. Mad building! dunno what else to say!

OK, that took me ages to post, so enough for now, part two tomorrow with all those lush views from the Top of the Rock.... :) :lol: :) :cheers: :cheers:

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Great photos and great commentary! It always makes it more interesting when we know what's going on in each picture. :yes:

Photo 1) I think it was the Lincoln Tunnel we went through each day from our cheap hotel in New Jersey. Well, it was a long tunnel that curved round before you went under and like you say, you could see some kind of sports pitch thing! And I think that river may just be the rather famous Hudson. :lol:

I remember being excited about the stateline halfway through the tunnel on the tiled walls. :happy:

4) That's a great photo. :yes:

9) I think that slim black building on the right in the (Donald) Trump Tower - one of my favourites.

12) A great mix of styles! Especially with that condo building in the middle. :happy:

13) Weird but nice! :nuts:

14) That's another great photo! :eek: My favourite of the lot. :yes:

I'll see the rest when I'm back from my short trip in a couple of days!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great photos and great commentary! It always makes it more interesting when we know what's going on in each picture. :yes:

Photo 1) I think it was the Lincoln Tunnel we went through each day from our cheap hotel in New Jersey. Well, it was a long tunnel that curved round before you went under and like you say, you could see some kind of sports pitch thing! And I think that river may just be the rather famous Hudson. :lol:

I remember being excited about the stateline halfway through the tunnel on the tiled walls. :happy:
Yes, that's the one, I was in a cheapo Holiday Inn in New Jersey too! I waited ages to try and photograph that tiled state line from the bus but just as we got to it, we were overtaking another bus and I couldn't get it :eek:hno: Next time, next time...!

4) That's a great photo. :yes:

9) I think that slim black building on the right in the (Donald) Trump Tower - one of my favourites.
So it is, the Trump World Tower, and it's residential apartments, so it counts as a Tower Block, right ?!

12) A great mix of styles! Especially with that condo building in the middle. :happy:

13) Weird but nice! :nuts:

14) That's another great photo! :eek: My favourite of the lot. :yes:

I'll see the rest when I'm back from my short trip in a couple of days!
Thanks again! I'll hopefully be posting the rest this evening...:banana:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
part 2 of my NYC wanderings....some pics from the top of the rock at the rockefeller center...no queue for tickets, lots of viewing platforms, highly recommended!

:cheers:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whoops, didn't realise I couldn't edit the thread title, wanted to lose the 'part 1' bit!

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
13. I don't know what this building is, but I LOVE it!
Nice photos. The scraper in the centre of your shot is nicknamed "the Lipstick Building" for obvious reasons. The tall white one behind is Citicorp Center - one of the finest towers of the '70s.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Monkey: "The Lipstick Building" - excellent nickname! That's the one I was referring to, but I agree about the Citicorp/Citigroup building, it's a classic!

LDN_EUROPE: I was only in NYC on business, I still live in Watford!
I know it doesn't have the greatest reputation, but I like living here :)

Thanks for looking/commenting on my pics guys! :eek:kay:

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
More great photos supermoving. :eek:kay: I don't think I need to say how much missed two certain buildings are from those photos looking towards the Empire State Building. :(

I was in a cheapo Holiday Inn in New Jersey too!
Not the Holiday Inn, Paterson Plank Road, Carlstadt, NJ surely??! Cos that's where we stayed in 2003! But I think there were other ones nearby.

supermoving said:
I waited ages to try and photograph that tiled state line from the bus but just as we got to it, we were overtaking another bus and I couldn't get it :eek:hno: Next time, next time...!
Grrrr! :mad2: I don't think I even tried because we were going so fast and I felt a bit weird taking photos out of the bus windows being the shy person I am. :eek:hno:

supermoving said:
So it is, the Trump World Tower, and it's residential apartments, so it counts as a Tower Block, right ?!
I guess so. An exceedingly tall and sleek one though, it has to be said. :lol:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^

No, it was the Holiday Inn, Parsippany NJ, but I expect it was much the same as the one you stayed in, like you say, there's a lot around there!

More NYC photos to add later, hopefully :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Final instalment of my NYC in May pics...

1. Old and the New (again) St Pat's Cathedral

2. Rockefeller Center...I was up there!

3. Who'd be a windowcleaner...? I would :)

4. You might've heard of this one...

5. Washington Square

6. Water towers

7. Mmmm....bloooooocks....:)

8. WTC site

9. Not sure where this is, near Battery Park somewhere, I should rad the street sign...

10. That's Jersey City over there

11. Some close friends near Battery Park

12. My 8 hour walk ends back at Times Square again...full circle!

:cheers:

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Great stuff again supermoving! :eek:kay:

1) Great contrast between the old and the new. :yes:

4) It always amazes me how the Empire State Building doesn't look that tall when you're standing close to it - it just looks like a very tall building, but nothing to write home about! :lol:

7) I could almost say that this is my favourite picture of them all, but I'd better not. :lol: I was going to ask whereabouts they were but the answer is there to see... :doh:

8) What is the tall glass building on the right at the WTC site? I'm sure that wasn't there when I went in 2003. Is it part of the new skyscrapers they're building?

9) I remember walking round that area. I nearly got run over by a white Beetle. :shifty:

10) That boat is going straight down the stateline methinks. ;)

11) I walked under that part-cylindrical building. I've never found out the name of it. :eek:hno:

Thanks for posting those. :happy:

You didn't take any of other t*wer bl*cks did you by any chance? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts