SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so bored with movies and TV shows being filmed in Manhattan. Manhattan is becoming so trite.

The tipping point came when I saw the previews for "Don't mess with the Zohan." Another irritating Adam Sandler flick which looks like a "Borat" ripoff. Just what the world needs right?

Don't get me wrong NYC is my hometown and I love her dearly. Hollywood seems to film everything in NYC. I am missing movies filmed in LA. I never thought I'd ever say such a thing.

I would like to see more flicks filmed in Montreal, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Portland and Boston.

Is anyone else feeling as bitter as me?

·
Margela Schurkel
1,939 Posts
I'd like to see Hollywood-Movies in Berlin, Frankfurt, London, Paris, Moscow, Warsaw, Athens, Madrid, Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei...

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Aren't most Hollywood movies filmed in Hollywood?"

No but I was referring to the film industry in general. Recently I have been seeing Bucharest in film which impressed me so much.

Would love to see something on location in Jo-Burg, Durban, Tirana, Rekjavik, Istanbul, Nuuk, Sofia, Lagos, Tehran, Beirut, Moscow, Marseilles, Valencia, Belgrade...anywhere but Manhattan.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a very curious person. If I discover a city that I've never heard of I want to know everything about it. Unfortunately the US film industry bounces back between LA and NYC.

Doesn't Europe have its own film industry? Why would you want Hollywood to portray European cities? They will use all the "obvious" and cliche sites...Eiffel Tower, Red Square, Big Ben..bleh bleh.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"U.S. iconography in general is running out of inspiration. Sequels after sequels are produced, without any vision or style.

New images from around the world are badly needed."

Amen!!! Could not have said that better. I also am so sick of many of the actors in Hollywood. If I see another picture of Jack Black I'm gonna hurl!

I want to see Siberia in films. Hollywood is so friggin' corny. I'd rather sit in a courtroom to witness a murder trial than see a blockbuster film.

If I see another film about NYC getting destroyed by monsters, ice ages, aliens, tsunamis or tornadoes I will self implode.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'd rather sit in a courtroom to witness a murder trial than see a blockbuster film.

That would be literally more interesting then any film!

You should watch 24 hour party people, Its set in Manchester in England!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
I actually like it when they show the real LA in film.

·
perthistan
6,953 Posts
I would rather a good movie over a good location although a good location canhelp to make a good movie.

But not always, take the Bourne series. I think they were trying way too hard, like now im in paris and now im in prague.

·
Mariano
1,962 Posts
Man if you want to see the rest of the world, watch foreign cinema!!!!! Very easy... :nuts:

Don't you have some good foreign cinema channels????

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Coming from Philly you probably have some rivalry with NYC, but to be honest, I can't imagine getting bored with New York. I've been there many times and there is always something new and exciting going on."

Actually, I moved to Philly from New York and before that was in Boston. I am certainly not tired of my visits to NYC but am sick of seeing so many shows and movies filmed there. I would not say that there is a rivalry between NYC and Philly. Maybe a streak of jealousy here and there but most Philadelphians love a NYC fix. On the other hand a good deal of last years real estate transactions in Philadelphia were the result of purchases by New Yorkers. The cities are too close and too different in size to be proper rivals. There used to be more of a rivalry.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The elephant in the room of course is the movie "Sex and the City", the ultimate fashionista guide to the Big Apple. Does this mean NYC will forever be associated with Wasps, Peach Magaritas, Stilleto-Sororities, Lexington Avenue? Not exactly, the influence of movies only goes so far. If anything, series like Seinfeld, Friends, etc. or Woody Allen flics have, on average, boosted NY's image rather than hurt it, so what's not to like?

·
:-x
5,787 Posts
I would like to see more flicks filmed in
Pittsburgh! -- it fascinates me to no end....I love it there. (Balt & NO are worthwhile too.)

I wish I could catch just what it is about the way NYC's being miscaptured.....but as it is, I recently hooted reading that Hollywood's-burning headline....

1 - 20 of 107 Posts