SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Philippine Star - Sunday, October 25, 2015.

image hosted on photobucket.com
News
Biz Buzz: Sy, Mexico’s Slim eye galleon project
By Philippine Daily Inquirer | Sunday | July 12th, 2015 | 11:14 PM

--- SNIPPED ---

Sy himself flew to Latin America to discuss an important project with Slim. The billionaires are collaborating on a galleon museum that will rise at SM Mall of Asia (MOA). As its name implies, the museum will celebrate the historical ties between the Philippines and Mexico—both former Spanish colonies—during the galleon trade (1565–1815) that shipped Oriental goods such as porcelain, silk, ivory, spices and other exotic goods from China in exchange for New World silver through the Manila-to-Acapulco trade route before being transported by land to Spain.

Read More: Source

His Excellency Ambassador Julio Camarena of Mexico and Hans T. Sy initiated the ground-breaking ceremony at the Mall of Asia. Also present was Pasay City Mayor, the Honorable Antonio G. Calixto. The program featured Ms. Marian Roces, Lead Curator of TAO Inc. as the keynote speaker, and Senator Edgardo J. Angara who is also a member of Museo Del Galeón, Inc.[/CENTER]

The SM Group of Companies in collaboration with Museo Del Galeón, Inc. held today the ground-breaking ceremony for The Galeon, enivisioned to be a worthy addition to the community of museums, to open in late 2015.

Acapulco Galleon Museum will be a cultural facility with an 8,000 sqm. Total exhibition space, featuring a full-scale reproduction of a magnificent galleon. Unlike all other galleon reproductions attempted before in the Philippines, the new museum bases its reproduction on a very precise set of naval architectural plan published in 18th century Manila.

“What was then just an idea is now fast becoming a reality,” said Hans T. Sy, president of SM Prime Holdings, Inc. When briefed on the project, Hans T. Sy graciously offered a beachfront location in the Mall of Asia complex as the site for the museum. The support given is towards facilitating the circulation of vital knowledge of the first globalization of trade and commerce, in which the Philippines and Mexico were polar points of activity.

Source
Updates

·
Registered Abuser
22,840 Posts
Love that wide window on the lower half, but I'm a bit concerned with what kind of material they'll end up using for the dome. I never liked any of this company's previous attempts with a dome structure. Frankly, to me they all sucked. :D

I hope this one won't end up being a complete eyesore.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.