SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great pictures! Thanks!

Does anyone who lives there, or has been there, or knows about it, want to fill us in on how the maglev system works? Not technically. But what's the cost to ride it? How is ridership? Does it seem to be working out? I thought China had electricity generation capacity problems due to the explosive growth there. Isn't the maglev an electricity hog? Very curious about this mode of transportation. Looks cool.

·
Registered
461 Posts
opium said:
Wow Is it really a magnetic levitation train? I didnt know Shanghai had one . I didnt even know any country had it . How fast does this sucker go?
431kmph and it costs 40 Yuan (divide by 8 roughly for USD) for a one way trip if you have an airplane ticket, and 50 if you don't. I think it is 80 Yuan for a return ticket regardless.

·
Taking On The World
26,650 Posts
it seems pretty cheap!! Only 5 dollars. How long is the trip in km?? Anyway, probably is cheaper than a taxi from the airport to downtown... and much faster of course... and cooler!

·
Registered
461 Posts
AcesHigh said:
it seems pretty cheap!! Only 5 dollars. How long is the trip in km?? Anyway, probably is cheaper than a taxi from the airport to downtown... and much faster of course... and cooler!
It is only 27 km, or something like that?? not really sure.. as for being faster than a taxi, if you start at the People's Square underground station, and catch line 2 to the maglev station, it will take you, about 30mins ( maybe +/- 5 depending how long you have to wait for the maglev at the station) to get to the airport, while in the taxi it will take about 50 min-1 hr if there is absoloutely no traffic.

I actually raced a bunch of people to the airport, with a subway/maglev vs bus. Unfortunately i lost (just) becuase I had a 20 min walk to the nearest metro station, with my luggage, and then bad timing on the subway/maglev... and suprise suprise it just happened to be the one day in the year where there was no traffic. :bash:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.