Site: Marble Arch Hill, Marble Arch, London W1

Developer: Westminster City Council

Architect: MVRDV

Structural height: 25.5m AGL

Viewing platform height: 22.5m AGL

·
Living the dream...
1,425 Posts
Part of me loves it, part of me thinks WTF!
If its popular though I can see this being permanent...

·
Registered
30,774 Posts
What is this for exactly?

·
Registered
11,841 Posts
It does seem like something that has come out of a bad brainstorming session.

Hey how can we get everyback into the West End and more specifically Oxford St We have a budget of several million quid. Well we could fully pedestrianise parts of it and improve the side streets. No, it'll never work.

What about a massive temporary structure that will have some potted plants but you will only be able to walk up a flight of stairs people can queue for and then walk up the stairs, look across the urban motorway and then walk down the stairs out the back. That'll bring them flocking.

Why not use the money to actually improve Marble Arch permenatly as currently its just a grim, heavily pavemented traffic island. I cant think of a single person who goes out their way to come to Marble Arch other than to cross the road.

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
If those responsible - Westminster Council, Royal Parks and NWEC - were serious about doing something at this corner they'd look at joining the two 'islands' together here, tidying up the landscaping at least and reconfiguring some of the roads. That would create a new, larger square similar in size to Portman Square that was part paved (ideally high quality) and part green space clearly distinguishable from Hyde Park. In future there would be the possibility to link to the long green strip on Park Lane. Currently this is a terribly under utilized part of the West End, especially considering it's essentially a gateway.

Instead we have this garbage. which sums up London today - an increasingly gimmicky city that now offers little in terms of architectural or urban innovation.

·
Registered
30,774 Posts
What about a massive temporary structure that will have some potted plants but you will only be able to walk up a flight of stairs people can queue for and then walk up the stairs, look across the urban motorway and then walk down the stairs out the back. That'll bring them flocking.
Oh, I see. It's kind of to make people have a nice climb up among trees and having a nicer view on the top. Doesn't look a so bad idea to be honest. That is... considering there's nothing more useful to do with the money.

Reactions: hseugut

·
Londinium langur
10,245 Posts
Paris's Parc des Buttes Chaumont has something similar, though imo more impressive. Build some proper crags!

·
Londinium langur
10,245 Posts
Instead we have this garbage. which sums up London today - an increasingly gimmicky city that now offers little in terms of architectural or urban innovation.
I blame Singapore, a city that increasingly resembles a theme park.

Reactions: geogregor

·
Registered
185 Posts
The third picture showing those tired and rundown pavements with that awful street furniture and all that clutter while a shiny hill rising above a traffic island just about sums up the archaic mentality of Westminster. I feel sorry for this part of London.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
If this were a permanent hill it would be ghastly! However, if it is a temporary art type landscape installation for a year or so, it could be interesting. Is this really being financed by Westminster Borough Council? Is it a make work project?

·
Registered
163 Posts
It would be better to close half the roads around there and expand the park to include Marble Arch.

Or just pedestrianise Oxford St like the majority of London residents want and the majority of urban design experts agree is the best option.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It looks ugly, like an overgrown slag heap. Perhaps some homeless people could live inside it for a while, to justify the cost and wasted effort.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts