SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Let the Jam decide
2,172 Posts
Cant say I really give a shit, what ever the truth is SG shouldnt have hit anyone, especially as children look up to him.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
It wasn't proven to be unfounded bullshit at all was it?

He admitted punching the fella, it was even all captured on video and the other fella never laid a finger on Gerrard either. He got off on the most nonsensical claim of self-defence I've ever heard in my life because the jury was made up of fawning, biased idiots.

Embarrassment for the city.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wasn't proven to be unfounded bullshit at all was it?

He admitted punching the fella, it was even all captured on video and the other fella never laid a finger on Gerrard either. He got off on the most nonsensical claim of self-defence I've ever heard in my life because the jury was made up of fawning, biased idiots.

Embarrassment for the city.
If you felt I was about to hit you in similar circumstances, you'd **** me first. Don't be such a hypocrite:lol:

"Gerrard maintained that he had acted in self-defence during the brawl at the Lounge Inn in Southport last December, which was triggered by a row over control of music.

Gerrard, 29, had wanted to pick the music in the bar, but Marcus McGee, who was in charge of the CD player, refused his request. The trial was told that although McGee, 34, did not throw any punches, the player believed he was about to be hit."

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
Fortunately the jury unanimously reached the verdict that the judge directed its members towards. That the judge did so strongly hint at Stevie's innocence implies that, from a legal point of view, this trial was always going to go one way and thus was waste of our money.

I do feel however that the title of this thread is unfair to McGee. Most of the time, there isn't much chance of my sympathies being with MUFC-supporting sandwinning numpty. However, it was the police and CPS that brought this case to court, not he. And whilst it appears that his initial recollection of the very brief but shocking events that led to the case was faulty (that he was hit first by Gerrard rather than his mate, Mr Doran), so was Stevie's, who also thought that he struck McGee first and not that his mate did.

At no time during the case did the prosecuting counsel nor the judge call question the honesty of his testimony.

Also, reading between the lines, Marcus McGee was very probably a gobshite and his bad attitude to Gerrard that prompted the whole unpleasant affair might well have had much to do with his anti-LFC and anti-Scouse MUFC and Lancashire oafland allegiances. But he did get smacked. And several times at that, and it was the violence directed at him that led to this case coming to court, not anything he said.

·
Registered
389 Posts
There goes his dosh from the People/News of the World/Sun for his traumatic last 6 months-well in Stevie.:lol::lol::lol:

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
Pressing on the same point as in my above post, cases like this one, minor late-night drunken scraps, almost never come to court. Questions should be as raised as to why the police and CPS eager to pursue a criminal prosecution. You've got to suspect that Gerrard's fame was a factor in this. Somebody or some people wanted to make a point and maybe make a name for themselves with this.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If you felt I was about to hit you in similar circumstances, you'd **** me first. Don't be such a hypocrite:lol:

"Gerrard maintained that he had acted in self-defence during the brawl at the Lounge Inn in Southport last December, which was triggered by a row over control of music.

Gerrard, 29, had wanted to pick the music in the bar, but Marcus McGee, who was in charge of the CD player, refused his request. The trial was told that although McGee, 34, did not throw any punches, the player believed he was about to be hit."
I probably would hit you first if I felt threatened, yeah. Difference being that I'd get done for it once the jury took one look at the video.

Not sure how poor old Stevie La could feel threatened by a man who's just been smashed in the face with a big elbow mind you.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marcus McGee was very probably a gobshite and his bad attitude to Gerrard that prompted the whole unpleasant affair might well have had much to do with his anti-LFC and anti-Scouse MUFC and Lancashire oafland allegiances.
:eek:hno:

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
I probably would hit you first if I felt threatened, yeah. Difference being that I'd get done for it once the jury took one look at the video.
Not necessary the case, eyeam. The law is not a precise science and so there are always judgement calls to be made. However, fear of imminent attack can be used as a defence in assault cases and Gerrard is not the first to successfully use it.

Anyhow, as directed by the judge, it was reasonable doubt that got Stevie off. Without being able to read his mind, it was reasonable to doubt whether Stevie was attacking McGee out of spite rather than in defence. That's what the judge thought anyway.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not necessary the case, eyeam. The law is not a precise science and so there are always judgement calls to be made. However, fear of imminent attack can be used as a defence in assault cases and Gerrard is not the first to successfully use it.

Anyhow, as directed by the judge, it was reasonable doubt that got Stevie off. Without being able to read his mind, it was reasonable to doubt whether Stevie was attacking McGee out of spite rather than in defence. That's what the judge thought anyway.
An improvement on your previous post. Which was uninformed.

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
They largely are Dave! What did I get wrong?

Still, as my assumptions about the attitudes of certain Scouse-hating Souey types.* This time, I do know what I'm talking about. I'm shuddering now at some of the nights out I've had in that place over the years. Why do you think a Formby lad loves town so much!

*There are some very nice Sandgrounders also. Many even support the Reds.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"assumptions" "certain Scouse-hating Souey types".

*There are some very nice Sandgrounders also. Many even support the Reds.
McGhee is a well known arsehole about town. The fact he's Scum is just coincidental.

My niece Lucy was an award winning Sandgrounder in 03. If my brother ever left her off the leash, I fear for McGhee's safety:lol:
l

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're just prejudiced. You wouldn't be fit to sit on the jury with your mindset.

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
McGhee is a well known arsehole about town. The fact he's Scum is just coincidental.
Ha! Actually I can believe that. Unfounded assumption on my part then.

Well done to your niece. I can't find it to support that Haigh Ave lot (being a fan of the Squirrels of course, if I pay attention to any other team apart from Liverpool) but it would be good to see them back in the league some day.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
This case should not have been heard in Liverpool. This sends very bad signals about Liverpool to the rest of the world.

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
I disagree D-man. People already with prejudices will jump to their usual conclusions whatever happens in Liverpool.

I don't think an argument could have been made to hold it elsewhere really.

Nevertheless, the jury (not all from Liverpool, I'm sure) were clearly directed by the judge towards the verdict they gave.

It's M'side police I wonder about in this case.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts