SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
misanthropic humanitarian
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20060526/condo_buyers_060526/20060526?hub=TorontoHome

CTV Toronto . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fri. May. 26 2006 2:44 PM ET

A model of Yansong Ma's winning design for Mississauga's Absolute Condominium development.
'Sexy' new condo attracts hundreds of buyers

CTV.ca News Staff

Nicknamed "Marilyn Monroe," a curvy condo tower in Mississauga is commanding a lot of interest, just like the movie star.

Hundreds of people stood in line Thursday evening for a chance to buy one of only 180 out of 450 available units in the Absolute Condominium complex.

"It's a two-bedroom on the 36th floor facing south," realtor George Aleksik said of the unit he purchased.

Demand for the condos meant they all sold within hours of the doors being opened to buyers and their realtors. The remaining 270 condos will go on sale June 10. All the units are being sold before construction has even started on the tower.

"We've actually been getting phone calls from people around the world that are interested in this building," one of the building's developers said Thursday evening.

An international architectural competition held by project developers Cityzen Development Group and Fernbrook Homes resulted in 92 submissions from 70 countries.

The winning design was the brainchild of the Beijing office of U.S. architectural firm MAD. Architect Ma Yansong wanted to create a building with a futuristic look. The result is a building most people view as sexy, due to the twisty and curvaceous design.

The building's sex appeal seems to be encouraging people to pay between $260,000 for a 500 square foot unit, up to $1 million for one of the penthouse suites.

"I think everything these days is too expensive," a condo buyer named Beth told CTV's Desmond Brown. "But it's a great looking condo and I think that's what people are going for."

Construction of the 50-storey residential tower on the corner of Hurontario Street and Burnhamthorpe Road is slated to begin next year.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
It just goes to show that design works. The better looking the building, the more people will want to buy into it. This building is going to completely sell out before construction even starts, and some condos, with far fewer units have trouble selling even 50% before construction.

·
Olde Guard
1,806 Posts
the newer design looks more like a tornado

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
i like the first rendering :( was so much better. i'm so disappointed with the direction it's gone. i like the fact that it's taller, but i think others in the competition were far nicer than this one.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
"i like the first rendering was so much better. i'm so disappointed with the direction it's gone."

That's because the first rendering was not realistic...it would never have looked like that in the first place. The newer one reflects what the finished product will actually look like.

I knew all along the real thing could never look as exotic as the fantasy rendering first put out.

Still an interesting building. And yea...shows you what good marketing will do...sell the damn thing out instantly. Sure, it costs more money, but look at the prices they are getting...$520/sqft for a studio...next to Square One??? Downtown Toronto developers can only drool in jealousy.

Doesn't take a real estate genius to see a trend happening there. Good, cause I am awaiting Libeskind's Hummingbird tower, which is far more interesting than "Mississauga Monroe".

KGB

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
"its a nice building and it shows you what happens if you just somehow get your building on the news."

It's a nice rendering ...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts