Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Far East London
7,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think market street needs cleaning up a bit

1, find a way to get rid of the annoying street vendors who sell shoddy goods, they look a mess

2, why does the new wall of the arndale end abruptly 15 metres before it reaches the corner. i'd finsish the job and reclad the unfinished market street area as well as high street (and get rid of the awfull verandah) and boots.

3, probably the least likely thing to happen would be to get rid of the 'foodchain' area. altho its not in itself bad and it serves its purpose well, the way it spoils th e vista and for its oppressiveness for people walking underneath it, it has to go! maybe the shops in there could be moved to the vacant units that littlewoods and mothercare used to occupy

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Good thread.

Market Street certainly is a massive problem for the city that really needs addressing. People seem to assume that just because they've stuck a few stone tiles over the Arndale's facade that somehow it has been regenerated and we can move on to somewhere else. Not true.

Market Street is dire. Truly dire. Its a horrible place to shop and is the city centre's ugliest and most unplesant street. Its far too busy and as you quite rightly point out, the impact of the Arndale's blank featureless wall and the 'Foodchain' bridge terminating the vista only serve to amplify the street's already highly oppressive atmosphere.

I wonder if there is any long term prospect of the Arndale Centre being opened up properly on its Market St facade and a more street-style mixture of styles, heights and masses built into it? Only when they do this will this street start to get anywhere near the sort of quality appropriate for the city's busiest shopping area.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
It's hard to beleive the state its in even after a refurb, not that long ago, it looked shabby soon as it was finnished...

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
From this

(Market Street looking from the jusnction with Corporation St, presumably)

to this

(Modern day Market Street looking down the street from Debenhams)

·
Less is more.
6,214 Posts
I think the amount of traffic it gets day in day out has something to do with that MG, still GD is right, it looks very provincial and down market[street].

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
it looks very provincial and down market[street].
'Provincial'! You've summed up the look and atmosphere perfectly.

IMO the cobbles are fine. Its just that darned Anrdale Centre which utterly destroy's any semblance of character the street ever had. The recent refurb has had very little impact whatsoever.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
To be honest. I saw a pic of Market st completely empty the other day and it looked allright.

I think it's the fact that it's the main shopping street (tacky shops/lots of people) which makes us all think it's ugly.

·
Less is more.
6,214 Posts
What the Arndale needs[apart from an Al Quaeda attack] is some daring outer cladding, not so much like that rediculous building in Birmingham but something that is striking instead of trying to make it sit easily with the rest of the street. As it is now even after the refurb it still looks like a tacky shopping centre in somewhere like Leicester or somewhere, Stockport even. If they made it look a bit more far out and futuristic it would look better imo.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
SleepyOne said:
Its the Arndale which makes it look ugly!
And that too. :)

But mainly, i hate the street because of the copious amounts of people on it.

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
The best thing that could happen to Market Street is to have it covered, and humanised. Its too sterile for my money. I'd love to see Manchester attempt something like the Gallerias off the Piazza del Duomo in Milan... Milan being the kind of city that I think Manchester should most aspire to.

·
No more heroes anymore
417 Posts
Keep your judgemental opinions about Leicester to yourself Roly, the new Shires centre will be far more impressive than anything we've had before.

I have to say I am quite fond of this street, its not the buildings which ruin it for me though, it is the goddamn insane amounts of chewing gum everywhere. I do love my chewing gum, but I seriously think we should be imposing higher taxes on it or ban it outright. It really makes a mess.

·
Less is more.
6,214 Posts
inquisitor57 said:
Keep your judgemental opinions about Leicester to yourself Roly, the new Shires centre will be far more impressive than anything we've had before.
I was waiting for you :)

·
Far East London
7,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SleepyOne said:
I wonder if there is any long term prospect of the Arndale Centre being opened up properly on its Market St facade and a more street-style mixture of styles, heights and masses built into it? Only when they do this will this street start to get anywhere near the sort of quality appropriate for the city's busiest shopping area.
considering the way that the arndale was designed and the fact that it is almost full, i dont think this is going to happen anytime soon. but i'm not sure that doing this is the best idea, it would cenrtenly be more interesting than a large stone wall, but if it was built all at the same time it would just look a fake. i dont see the point, a blank featureless wall maybe boring, but at least its honest. a better idea would be to open up the wall with glazing and balconies, i'm sure i read that it was designed with this in mind

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
And that too.

But mainly, i hate the street because of the copious amounts of people on it.
It is insanely busy isn't it? Again, I would place a lot of the blame for this at the door of the Arndale. It seems to physically and psychologically funnel people straight down to the end of the street. There is no possibility to make a right turn at any point and explore surrounding streets or hidden squares. Only the two unsightly gashes in the facade (which represent the entrance to the sterile interior of the Arndale) have the effect of syphoning off some limited footfall.

You will also notice that there is no east-west pedestrian travel accross Market Street. Of course there are streets leading off Market Street towards King Street but they are dead places with few shops and as a result dont drag much footfall that way. Annoyingly, the entrances to the Arndale dont even align with Spring Gardens or Brown Street which further inhibits East-West pedestrian movement and means that the vistas to these two grand streets are terminated with that revolting, blank yellow wall.

·
Less is more.
6,214 Posts
inquisitor57 said:
I love Manchester, and it will always be my favorite city in the UK, but Leicesters my home. I can't have people slagging it off, I need to defend it. I'd be careful aswell Roly. Apparantly Leciester is the city with the highest amount of assaults, I've been trained by the best ;)
Get a grip :sleepy:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
considering the way that the arndale was designed and the fact that it is almost full, i dont think this is going to happen anytime soon. but i'm not sure that doing this is the best idea, it would cenrtenly be more interesting than a large stone wall, but if it was built all at the same time it would just look a fake. i dont see the point, a blank featureless wall maybe boring, but at least its honest. a better idea would be to open up the wall with glazing and balconies, i'm sure i read that it was designed with this in mind
I dont think its a lost cause. I know what you mean about honesty. Maybe if the Market Street-facing units were converted to being street-facing, two storey affairs you could then legitimately introduce the sort of variety and interest that the street needs. Its the barren horizontality of the facade which really seems to put a blight on the street's character, especially when juxtaposed with the small scale, individual facades of the opposite side. Visually, it just doesnt work.

There is also an opportunity that I think I pointed out in the "reatail" thread. The new east-west oriented mall leading off the Wintergarden seems to align with Spring Gardens. It would need to punch through the vacant Index store(?) but nevertheless I think the opportunity is there and should be exploited in order to really break up that sheer mass that the Arndale presents and encourage more footfall to that side of town. It would also surely represent a shrewd move by the owners of the Arndale to pull more people through into the further reaches of the centre, directly from Market St.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts