SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy crap.

Have you seen the renders for the new M & S? They are bloody ambitious, love em or hate em.

Courtesy of Rodders Uk on Yo.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
:eek2:

I really like the Church Street frontage. How great does that look? Really smart, and really shows up the buildings alongside it (H. Samuel I'm looking at you you). The internal shot, with the triple height ceiling is really interesting, and I think will help make the inside of the building much more pleasant, with more natural light.

As for the Williamson Square frontage, well a complaint about the St. John's new build in Williamson Square is that it is too uninspiring. Too 'Anytown, Anywhere'. This is clearly the complete opposite, but I wonder if it may be too much for some people? That said I like it's amibition, and the way it makes a statement. To be honest, I think I'll have to come back to this thread, because I simply don't know what to make of it. I can't make my mind up on whether I like it or not.

I thought I've had though. The Selfridges in Birmingham is just as well know for it's architecture as it is for it's retail offer. I wonder if the same could happen here?

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
That looks ace.
The bird in the second pic has got nice knockers aswell.
So its all good.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,690 Posts
That's exactly what I want too see,a bit of ambition and variety,that couldn't be any better for me.:banana:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Have to say, thats certainly a lot better than I'd thought it would be. Hope they leave out those green window blind things on church street though thats just weird.

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
I like this aspect but:

a.) does anyone else feel the lack of ground-level activity on this version would need addressing?
Despite the nice styling, it still operates as essentially the back-end of a building, and, as such 'closes' this side of Willianson Square off.
A couple of concession outlets on this side, like a bar or restaurant with outside seating would cure the issue.

b.) there's no way that that central channel coming down from the roof should be anything other than copper-plated. Why would you have it black or gray??

Great pussy in this pic as well. Just wanted to repeat that.

·
likes beer
Cosmic chimp
12,725 Posts
I like this aspect but:

a.) does anyone else feel the lack of ground-level activity on this version would need addressing?
Despite the nice styling, it still operates as essentially the back-end of a building, and, as such 'closes' this side of Willianson Square off.
A couple of concession outlets on this side, like a bar or restaurant with outside seating would cure the issue.

b.) there's no way that that central channel coming down from the roof should be anything other than copper-plated. Why would you have it black or gray??

Great pussy in this pic as well. Just wanted to repeat that.
i think theres a cafe at the bottom right hand side of the picture above, the dark bit, although its not facing williamson square.

·
Fiat Lux
7,596 Posts
A grand piano crossed with a tupperware box, heavy on the yellow wash could work as a design. I'm not sure it works in Williamson Square but it has brought a smile to my face so I'll have to mull this one over.

1 - 20 of 272 Posts