Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Proposal would have Marlins stadium funding contingent on team moving their spring training to Homestead.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/070517/story4.shtml

Moss to seek changes in Marlins' name, spring training

By Eric Kalis
The Florida Marlins would be required to change their name and move their spring training to Homestead to attract the support of Miami-Dade County Commissioner Dennis Moss for construction of a new stadium.
Mr. Moss is to ask fellow commissioners at a meeting of the Airport and Tourism Committee today (5/17) to support clauses to change the team's name to the Miami Marlins and require the franchise to move their March preseason games from Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter to the Homestead Sports Complex as part of a deal for a $490 million retractable-roof stadium.
Both changes would help give the Marlins a stronger local identity and attract fans in South Miami-Dade, Mr. Moss said.
The team is "not tied to a specific part of the community," Mr. Moss said Monday. "If we put up the money to build a stadium in Miami-Dade, the name should be changed."
While the name change would strengthen the team's ties to local fans, bringing Grapefruit League baseball to Homestead offers tangible benefits such as tourist tax revenue that would be used to help fund the county's share of a new stadium, Mr. Moss said.
The 6,500-seat baseball stadium at 1601 SE 28th Ave. was built in 1991 to be the spring-training home for the Cleveland Indians, but Hurricane Andrew thwarted those plans. The stadium has been used primarily by college baseball teams.
"The facility has been maintained," Mr. Moss said. "The city is very interested in this happening. Homestead is not the sloppy backwater town it was viewed as in the past. There is a tremendous amount of housing, office and commercial" opportunities.
Homestead City Manager Curt Ivy said Monday that the city is open to the possibility of hosting spring-training games but cautioned that Major League Baseball officials said when discussing Marlins stadium options that Homestead is too far south. The complex would need some upgrading to accommodate the Marlins, Mr. Ivy said.
Owner Jeffrey Loria moved the Marlins to Roger Dean Stadium, which they share with the St. Louis Cardinals, in 2003. Mr. Loria, who has an ownership interest in Roger Dean, was not available to confirm if there would be any restrictions on moving the Marlins' spring training to Homestead.
Hopes for a new stadium in downtown Miami took a hit when a bill for a $60 million, 30-year sales-tax rebate for the Marlins failed to come up for a vote in the Florida Senate before the legislative session ended this month. Under that proposal, the county would own and finance a stadium but the Marlins would build it and absorb any costs above the $490 million price tag.
The item could be revisited when the Legislature reconvenes June 12.
The team's lease at Dolphin Stadium expires in 2010.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wonder why, after all these years, a commissioner now wants to add more strings to the deal? Why didn't he bring this up at any of the past commission meetings or negotiations with the Marlins the past 6 months?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
very odd, but typical of the politics that comes from Mr. Moss. Roger Dean Stadium is a great setup with a built-in opponent. I can't see the Marlins even thinking twice about moving to a subpar field twice as far from the rest of the Grapefruit League teams.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Snowball's chance in hell the Marlins move ST to Homestead. The Roger Dean Complex is one of the best ST facilities, in all aspects, in the Grapefruit League.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've never been to the spring training facility in Jupiter. Frankly, Im not a big enough fan for all of that (although I do watch the team and go to approx. 8 or 10 games a season). It may be a wonderful spring training facility, but if leaving Roger Dean is a condition of the downtown stadium why is anyone concerned with Roger Dean???

Some people will disagree, but whether you like MLB or not, this is so crucial to the future of downtown. Having a MLB stadium downtown is a true asset to a city's downtown. By the way, I think changing the team name is a very reasonable contingency.......I like the sound of Miami Marlins.

·
Banned
655 Posts
I don't see why the Marlins wouldn't go along with moving to Homestead, it's better to do that and get the downtown stadium than be forced to leave Florida all together. I've been to Roger Dean Stadium and it's pretty nice but nothing spectacular....never been to HSC but even if it's somewhat subpar to Roger Dean, if the Marlins are smart they will take that offer if it will get them a downtown stadium.

I also like the sound of "Miami Marlins" better than "Florida Marlins"....the commissioner was right in saying that they are not tied to one area of Florida right now, they need to make their identity as Miami's team, not all of Florida's team.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
very odd, but typical of the politics that comes from Mr. Moss. Roger Dean Stadium is a great setup with a built-in opponent. I can't see the Marlins even thinking twice about moving to a subpar field twice as far from the rest of the Grapefruit League teams.
It's absurd to ask the Marlins to abandon that facility fo exactly the reasons you list. MLB is already on record as opposing it and their patience with this entire process must be growing pretty thin.

As for the name change, I would hope that Moss isn't delusional enough to think this is his idea. It's ALWAYS been planned if the team relocates downtown and I believe they already have a copyright on the name "Miami Marlins" and also have an alternate logo already designed with an "M" rather than the letter "F."

Moss is a twit.

(oh, and thanks for bringing the thread back, dave!)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
i'm indifferent on the situation.

i can't help but think, though, how good it would be if they did play their spring training games in homestead. they'd be tapping that southern end of the county, boosting up their image and quite possibly adding to both their fan base and season ticket holder base... even if it's just a couple dozen people lol

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I think they should do this, Really what great impact will happen if they leave Jupiter!?!? And plus i agree with Mr. Moss that the marlins should be more intact with Miami and not the rest of Florida, even though they do have a fanbase outside of Miami, i was a fan in Orlando. And i also think Miami Marlins should be chosen. If this helps the downtown stadium, Why Not!?!?!
But the article does state that Loria has ties with the facility in Jupiter, so it makes you wonder!
P.S-Does anyone have pics and information on the Homestead facility?

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
I think they should do this, Really what great impact will happen if they leave Jupiter!?!? And plus i agree with Mr. Moss that the marlins should be more intact with Miami and not the rest of Florida, even though they do have a fanbase outside of Miami, i was a fan in Orlando. And i also think Miami Marlins should be chosen. If this helps the downtown stadium, Why Not!?!?!
But the article does state that Loria has ties with the facility in Jupiter, so it makes you wonder!
P.S-Does anyone have pics and information on the Homestead facility?
The Jupiter facility (Roger Dean Stadium) is probably one of the finest spring-training sites in existence and the attendance is great there (sometimes better than what the Marlins draw for REAL games at Dolphin Stadium, embarrassingly enough).

The Marlins and MLB have every logical reason to resist Moss' ill-conceived notion. The Homestead facility isn't nearly as nice as what they already have...the team shares operating expenses with the St. Louis Cardinals (not a small consideration for a cash-strapped franchise like the Marlins)...and Homestead would be a genuine hassle for baseball from a travel standpoint as it's so far away from every other team's site with the possible exception of the Orioles (Ft. Lauderdale).

It makes no sense at all from a business or geographic standpoint. I understand Moss is looking out for his district but he might be advised that time is running out on keeping the Marlins in South Florida and throwing up yet ANOTHER obstacle isn't exactly wise at this juncture. At some point, both the team and MLB are going to say "enough is enough." Moss should be focused on getting it done downtown...not making threats.

As for the name "Miami Marlins" that was decided a LONG time ago by the team itself. It'll be their name if the team relocates to the city. Moss is five years late on "originating" that idea, but I'm sure he'll take credit for it if it happens.:eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
also, I think the Marlins do much better expanding the fan base by being located in northern Palm Beach, close to Martin and St. Lucie counties as well. Like Spell says, it's just another road block that we don't need right now.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its also a good idea for the Marlins to cultivate their northern fan base. For example, the Tampa Bay DevilRays are playing 3 games in Orlando this week to try to get more support from the Orlando area. Here is a map that basically shows which team people who live in an area generally follow (the Marlins are purple & the Devil Rays red):

·
Registered
370 Posts
Great News!

Commissioners OK plan to have Marlins change name, spring-training site

By Wayne Tompkins
The Florida Marlins would conduct spring training in Homestead and change their name to the Miami Marlins as part of a deal for a new stadium under a county commission committee's resolution passed last week.
The resolution sponsored by Commissioner Dennis Moss, whose district includes parts of South Miami-Dade, sailed through an enthusiastic Miami-Dade Airport and Tourism Committee.
Mr. Moss said spring-training games at Homestead Baseball Complex would reinvigorate the stadium and create an opportunity for fans in the southern part of the county and the Florida Keys to see the Marlins play.
It also would bring in tourist-tax revenue to help fund the county's share of a new stadium, he said.
Marlins officials are poker-faced about Mr. Moss' proposal. Team spokesman P.J. Loyello would say only that the team's lease at its current spring-training complex, Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter, runs through 2022.
Homestead city officials have said the baseball complex built in 1991 for the Cleveland Indians, who never went there and moved their spring base to Winter Haven after Hurricane Andrew struck in 1992, would need some upgrading but could accommodate spring training.
College baseball teams have been the primary users of the 6,500-seat baseball stadium at 1601 SE 28th Ave.
County commissioners at the committee meeting vented their frustrations over plans to build a stadium for the two-time world champions.
"If there has been a pregnancy longer than this one, I don't know of any other," Commissioner Rebeca Sosa said of often-blocked efforts to have a retractable-roof ballpark built in the county. The estimated cost of building a stadium in downtown Miami has reached $490 million.
A bill for a $60 million, 30-year sales-tax rebate to help fund a stadium failed to come up for a vote in the Florida Senate before the end of the legislative session. Under the proposal, the county would own and finance a stadium but the Marlins would build it and absorb cost overruns.
The Marlins currently play in Dolphin Stadium, where their lease is set to expire in 2010.
"The state didn't give you a penny. That means you don't belong to Florida," Ms. Sosa said in discussing the team's name. "We are going to build a stadium, so you belong to Miami, to Dade County."
Commissioner Carlos Gimenez expressed frustration with the Legislature, which also failed to complete a vote on stadium funding last year.
"Waiting for this state money has probably cost us a couple of hundred million dollars," Mr. Gimenez said. "If we'd just gone ahead and built it, it would have cost us a lot less. Forget the state. It's not going to happen. Sixty million (dollars) can be value-engineered. It's not the end-all."

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/070524/story7.shtml

·
Registered
731 Posts
"The state didn't give you a penny. That means you don't belong to Florida," Ms. Sosa said in discussing the team's name. "We are going to build a stadium, so you belong to Miami, to Dade County."
I'm not gonna lie. That's the single best damn argument I've heard thus far for changing the name to "Miami". And she's absolutely right.

I was completely against changing the name from "Florida", mainly due to the fact that although the team was *located* in Miami-Dade, the fan base was certainly not just limited therein.

But if it's the County that steps up to the plate (pun intended ;) ), and bails them out for a renewed life in South Florida, then by god...If it's "Miami" they want, then "Miami" they get.

Go Miami Marlins! :banana:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't disagree...
but wasnt this already the plan, if the Marlins move to a new stadium in Miami-Dade, that the name would change? This would have happened even if the state did come through with the extra money. Like someone already said, Moss's demand for the name change is basically a publicity stunt, and a worthless to any discussions of a new stadium. Its not like Broward and Palm Beach are fighting Miami-Dade for a new stadium, and its not like they are gonna call them the Hialeah Marlins or Miami Gardens Marlins, please. Maybe they should put in a stipulation with some teeth, like MLB must keep a team in the stadium for 30 or 50 years, so if the attendance still sucks in 10 years, they dont get shipping off to Las Vegas or wherever and we have ANOTHER empty stadium to keep paying for.

I think the state legislature's issue with the funding is that the Marlins already get that tax credit, which helped pay for the renovations at FKA Joe Robbie Stadium, and will continue to go in Huizenga's pocket. Even though that sucks, not much can be done about it, and they cant just give the Marlins a second break when some of the other professional teams in the state have none.

It would be hypocrisy, like pushing plans to reduce property taxes, while approving spending plans that require them to be raised.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts