SkyscraperCity Forum banner

MaRS Discovery District Phase II (661 University Ave / 101 College St) | Complete | 23 st | 113 m | Discovery District

27722 202
According to todays Globe (page A11) "next week directors of the non-profit MaRS discovery district are scheduled to announce a private-sector investment of more than $300 million to complete the second phase..."

"The new building will more than double the laboratory and office space available in the complex, making it bigger than any single office tower in the financial district...." It will grow to 1.6 million square feet by 2010. And the best part, "the potential market for research-oriented office in that district, five minutes from the hospitals in one direction, five minutes from the university in the other, is as much as 10 million square feet according to city economic-development officer Kyle Benham.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Excellent news for the health of the city! The stronger we get in Research and Development, the better.
There is NO better thing to become a leader in. Beats call centres any day.
It seems Toronto's future lies in research and development. Hopefully, we become a world leader - if not the.
I'm not up to date on the subject, but I was under the impression that Toronto was doing extremely well in that area... has something changed?
I think what they mean is if you add in all the space from the hospital research wings, and the extra hospital buildings, and all of the uoft buildings, the potential is to expand MaRS influence to 10 million.

Either way, I hope this gets done ASAP. Canada just ranked really horribly on a bunch of rankings in R&D related matters, I hope we can start reversing that trend.
Got it in one! :cheers:
Um, that's New Brunswick, not Toronto.
That is my point, entirely.. call centres provide "jobs", just like fast food places do.. but it is better for a city to go after R&D than more call centres. Pharmaceuticals is another good field to try and attract.
Hey Guys, don't knock call centres. Many of my peers went on to work at one of the numerous ones here in London after getting there Master's. Of course, aside from some manufacturing and a few insurance companies, not entirely sure what else there is to do here. And the city wonders why graduates don't hang around.
You are absolutely correct. Canada's Silicone Valley has been and still is in Richmond Hill and Markham. Ottawa made quite a bit of hay for itself by claiming the title, but everyone in the industry quietly knew it was here.
Personally, I think the world needs more political analysts. Eventually, I’ll run out of degrees to do, and no call centre will want to higher me.

Despite both Ottawa and Kitchener-Waterloo’s claim to be “silicon valley north,” the area including north-east Toronto, Richmond Hill, and Markham has the highest concentration of high-tech computer related industry I believe. We seem to do well in that department, but, aside from AMD (formerly ATI), I’m not sure how much R&D goes on up there (Nortel in Brampton, I guess … but not the greatest success story anymore).

Toronto could be a hot bed for R&D if we pushed kids into technology related education, rather than having so many graduate from the social sciences and humanities. The one thing KW has going for it, is so many computer graduates (York and Toronto's programs suck by comparison).

As an aside, I wonder if BCE can move its headquarters to T.O. after it sells or merges itself with another company.
Montreal very wisely has cultivated the pharmaceutical companies over the decades. Toronto has played catch-up by being strong in the generic ones.
There's a lot of pharmaceutical companies in Mississauga like GSK, Biovail and AstraZeneca.
Current, you are progressing in leaps and bounds with your photography... really nice to see it happen! :)
^^ agreed. I find the idea of the burgeoning research community in Toronto to not only be exciting, but it bodes well for the future of our downtown.

Wonder if Steven Hawking is going to jump to Waterloo, as they are suggesting in the press lately.
Even if he has every intention of moving, his staff would automatically say he was not. That is always the case until deals are signed, as he is currently employed in Britain.
you are doing a brilliant job, current. We all owe you a beer at the next meet up!
Ouch... let's hope for the best that there are not too many casualties.
? I think you are confusing me with someone else. I have never even mentioned recession.
now does anyone want to admit RECESSION... even in CANADA....Taller?
This is the stuff that the R thread was made for, by the way.
Couldn't Mississauga start up their own project instead of poaching MaRS? I guess that is the extent of "innovation" and "cooperation" in this country.
FutureMayor will be in tears! :lol:
Probably a relative of the Dried Apple Doll mayor.
Which by my reckoning should be somewhere around 2084, give or take a month! :lol:
or not wake up one day.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.