Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know theres a thread for this somewhere but seeing as the search optionis no more I couldn't find it- so apoligys for starting another.

Anyway it looks like they have updated there website & it says this went in for plannig & will start construction in 2006- Should be quite good seeing this & Mill harbour towers going up at same time on same st.

Anyway there some new renderings on it as well in case your interested. Im still not all that impressed- Why it has to be blocky & bland like the rets of the towers alng Bank st I dont know. Just a slight curve or design feature isn't that much to ask surely!!!

http://www.22marshwall.com/

·
Large Member
1,128 Posts
They are very boring, but they'll bulk up the cluster looking at the wharf from the river and Greenwich observatory, so that isn't a bad thing. Hopefully the cladding will be better than Bank street.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Entirely my sentiments. They are quite bland looking blocks but nevertheless will be good to see the cluster grow. I think that a more mixed use development with a cutting edge design with plenty of retail could really carry Canary Wharf forward. I always thought Marshwall could be host to a High Streetish atmosphere with plenty of well known shops.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont know why developers have a fascination with Suqire & Partners for designing tall res'is. They have also desgined the Reuters towers, Granite Wharf & City rd Basin. I cant say im impressed with any of their designs- They all look like they have been designed with a ruler!!! Maybe the actual finis & materials will be of high quality but as has beenmentioned from a distance these look like 21st century 60's housing blocks. Maybe we should all right in the comments page of the website & tell them what an insepid design it is.

The world is full of residential towers, why cant developers choose an architect who designs decent looking ones!!

·
Registered
24,354 Posts
I mean for **** sake I don't know why I'm not an architect with the amount of talent for spotting shite.

Two blocks at a 90 degree angle of varying heights? Easy - connect them with a curved section of building, and turn the entire roof into a sloping curve connecting the two, ala New Providence Wharf.

Fill the centre curved section with hanging gardens and an open lift structure, and open up the base to reveal a pedestrainsed square featuring shops and outdoor cafes in a newly created square that connects to Marsh Wall and the Heron Quat West development.

It's not friggin rocket science.

·
35,227 Posts
i think they fit in well with their heron quays neighbours. look how the crown of the tallest is so similar in shape and size to that of hq2. theyll make quite a bit of difference to the cluster, particularly with millharbour at the other end of the road the same height.

·
Registered Abuser
17,047 Posts
You can see how small they are in the bottom pic of the first post!

Look no more than 100M

Dont like the design....but the cladding doesnt look bad....but we all know that the odds of the building looking like a render are slim!

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does ayone know what else is planned between this development & the Millharbour towers. I'm sure something was planned for the Audi Site (22 storey tower or something?!?! cant quite remember)

·
Registered
225 Posts
'No more than 100m'... the smallest is 90m and the tallestis 140m if I remember correctly!

There is a planning app in for the Audi site... tallest building 22 storeys. Nothing too inspirational, more mediocre boxes. At least this promises to be a high quality box.

·
Registered
24,354 Posts
gothicform said:
i think they fit in well with their heron quays neighbours. look how the crown of the tallest is so similar in shape and size to that of hq2.
Er... and that's a good thing?

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
maxxam80 said:
maybe they are on a really tight budget
they`ll make a fortune on this development, dont give them that excuse!
Basically they know they can get a way with bland tall buildings at Canary Wharf so you have to blame the vision of the estate and the inability of the planning system to dicate any sort of decent urban design

·
Registered
225 Posts
The planning system can dictate high standards of design, and TH have a very good urban design officer who gets involved at a very early stage. You have to assume (although obviously the scheme hasn't been approved yet), that TH are happy with the design. They should also, of course, include appropriate conditions to ensure the quality of the materials.

Also, this isn't anything to do with Canary Wharf, so their vision isn't an issue.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
:bash: What on earth is that big boat doing in a that tiny dock By Riverside South on the model. Looks a bit stuck to me. Does this sum up the lack of thought??

1 - 20 of 71 Posts