SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

ROME (AP) -- Martina Hingis' first title since coming out of retirement has her focused on her next major goal: winning her first French Open.
Hingis beat Dinara Safina 6-2, 7-5 in the Italian Open final Sunday for her 41st career title, more than four years after her 40th.
"It's a great victory, but it doesn't end," Hingis said. "This is just the beginning of tough tournaments coming up -- the French Open and Wimbledon."
Up first, starting next Sunday, is the French -- the only Grand Slam she hasn't won.
"Winning this event (in Rome), I know that I can do it again," Hingis said. "I feel like I definitely have it in me."
She returned in January after more than three years out of the game, and has reached at least the quarterfinals in seven of 10 tournaments.
The 25-year-old Swiss star is projected to rise to No. 14 in Monday's new rankings, which will also determine the seedings for the French Open. She said the players at the top of the rankings are the favorites for the French Open, though.
"The pressure is on them, not me," she said.
Still, Hingis acknowledged that a return to form in Rome was a positive sign. In winning her second Rome title after 1998, she defeated five top-20 players, including Venus Williams in the semifinals for her 500th career victory.
"A lot of things are similar for me. I played here five times and never did worse than semifinals, that's how I feel about Paris," she said.
While she's never won the French Open, Hingis reached the semifinals or final in her last five appearances, the last in 2001.
"It's a very similar surface, the weather and circumstances to play there. I just hope I can play the same tennis as I did this week," Hingis said.

Since January of this year she has beaten
Maria Sharapova
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Lindsay Davenport
Elena Dementieva
and now Venus Williams.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
Very impressive coming back like that.

I really like Martina, she is cute, has a great body and always seems to be smiling.

·
7,972 Posts
I think she's great too..always had a bit of a crush on her.

And yeah, very impressive come back this year. Would be amazing to see her win Wimbledon.

·
Registered
296 Posts
not to mention the great tennis she plays :runaway:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts