SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
holy shit great pics... one of the best tours ever of what makes Melbourne so different and so much more appealing to the rest of the major cities in Australia. (right click... save as...)

Brilliant Peter. 10/10

Cheers

Dean - Melbourne

·
Registered
127 Posts
M e l b o u r n e i s C L A S S ! !

Y'know there's a lot of money to be made from Melbourne architecture tours just like Chicago's. Let's say $20-$30 per person. 8-10 people per group. One group per hour. Lotsa de casha. It will help with Melbourne's tourism. All we need are experts like the Collector. Hmmmmmmm......

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hey, great pics Collector (as usual) :) . Especially the Block Arcade, Cathedrial Place and the GPO. But do you reckon you've even covered half the laneways? Melbourne has so many! :lol:

I have one question, tho about this photo:

Is that a piece of Lord Mayor John So's "Laneway Art" on that wall in the background?

For those out of Melbourne, this has been a controversial programme. Basically the City of Melbourne is spending huge sums of public money on "artworks" which get shoved down the back of laneways where it could be argued no-one sees them. It can also be argued they make the laneways more interesting. (You decide)

The Robert Hoddle statue is the most controversial. The man who designed Melbourne's wide streets (therefore allowing the retention of trams much later on) is honoured by a statue in a filthy old laneway. Hmmmm....

Anyway, I was wondering if that "I
NY" sign is one of the "artworks" I have missed?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the fact that you can forever be exploring Melbourne’s streets and laneways and find yourself always coming across something new and unexpected, like art for art’s sake.
Sure, some of it is esoteric and controversial, but hey, that’s art.
One thing I would like to see though, is a series of large, no, make that huge statues of prominent Melburnians such as Hoddle, Deakin and Fawkner erected around the city on prominent sites.
Statues add so much to a streetscape. :cool:

Speaking of things I would like to see….

Former Eastern Arcade, now Allans
131-135 Bourke Street
This exotic Moorish façade was built in 1894 as part of an upgrade of the 1872 arcade that once ran right through the block to Little Collins Street.
Wouldn’t it be great if someone decided to restore this, to add to the already impressive list of arcades?
The original plans still exist as far as I know.

The Eastern Arcade, Bourke Street
Architects: Hyndman & Bates
1892 design for extension.

·
Insert text here:
1,228 Posts
bloody fantastic shots, so much to do in the alley's of melb. Melbourne must have alot of places like this because i don't see mutch of it in brisbane. What makes a place want to expand into the alleys? when i spose they could be potentially dangerouse at any given time.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Laneways provide a more intimate human scale and space for restaurants and shops. :cool:
They help you escape from vehicle air and noise polution as well, and since there is a lot of pedestrian traffic, there is little danger. :)

·
Developer
7,645 Posts
Check out this pic of Geddes Lane (the land which is next to the Rialto) in 1963:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
imagine what our great great grand kids will think of all these pics we take?

senario - "I'm kinda sad they knocked down the Rialto, My great great grand dad used to work in that old thing"

Sorry- i'm getting silly but just think for a moment how well documented this era has become in terms of still photography - wonderful for the future - keep on clicking.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts