Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Here are just a few photo's that I took whilst I was away. Unfortunately the weather turned the minute I got down there and rain / cold winds made it impossible for me to venture too far from my Toorak compound.

I did get the pleasure of seeing Eurekas lookout (and the extendable bit - wow!!!!!) but no pictures worth showing here. (night reflections)

I was impressed with Melbournes roads / freeways but dissapointed in the public transport which I wanted to take photo's of as well. I was dropped at Toorak station one day and there was no help there with purchasing a ticket or how I should get around. I wanted to take pictures of the "new" spencer street station but upon calling them and asking for a pass to do it was denied. The "newer" trains looked tired and ugly and the trams on Toorak road in that ugly grey colour are a travesty!! Bring back "The Met" with the green and gold.

Besides those observations.. Melbourne is a world class city that is both beautiful, functional and exceptional in so many ways.

js :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Go Krauthammer!
544 Posts
Nice Photos. I can't believe they denied you permission to photograph Southern Cross. Did they give you a reason?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Permission?? Nobody's ever stopped me. In any case, there are plenty of vantage points outside of the station.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice Photos. I can't believe they denied you permission to photograph Southern Cross. Did they give you a reason?
I was surprised by the permission thing as well. Someone from here told me to "ask" before taking photo's so I just called Connex up and after being on hold for yonks, and tranferred a few times I was told "no" with no reason.

Despite this the second time I tried to get on a tram in Glen Huntly it was held up by an "incident" on the tracks near the railways station. Trains were stopped in both directions with the booms being held up. And ambulances everywhere!

One of my other observations was the amount of "boom gates" everywhere for rail crossings. We just don't see them here I guess. (except in the outer suburbs)

js

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
I've been told off at Southern Cross Station for taking photos due to "security risk" by the Wilson Security dudes. The 'official' policy is that you go to the station management office and get a pass from them - ask one of the cleaning ladies for directions to it (it's in one of the "pods" ;)). Just take photos anyway, theres no actual law saying you can't.

Nice shots BTW, but did you go anywhere more than 6km from the CBD?

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I had no problems taking shots at Southern Cross Station last year even though I had to be careful where and when I took them.

Also, yes I have noticed Melbourne stations are less attended than Sydney stations. The trains themselves are pretty good.

·
Registered
652 Posts
A nice little tour of Melbourne.... I like the suburban pics the best. So Melbournish :)

I've been told off at Southern Cross Station for taking photos due to "security risk" by the Wilson Security dudes. The 'official' policy is that you go to the station management office and get a pass from them - ask one of the cleaning ladies for directions to it (it's in one of the "pods" ;)). Just take photos anyway, theres no actual law saying you can't.
Within the State of Victoria, if it is a public building, you generally have the legal right to photograph it. And so says the Premier! (This does not include museums, art galleries etc if the photo includes artworks and schools, child care centres etc for obvious reasons).

Anyway, in future, just photograph until you're told to stop. That's what I do!

And here's a pic of Southern Cross Railway Station that I took a while ago... :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*wow*

That is awesome!

*yay*

js

·
Lord Melbourne
4,257 Posts
Despite this the second time I tried to get on a tram in Glen Huntly it was held up by an "incident" on the tracks near the railways station. Trains were stopped in both directions with the booms being held up. And ambulances everywhere!
Yeah that tram enjoys falling off the tracks there, i've seen it happen so many times, once i saw the power thingy from the top of the tram, that touches the wire snap off at the crossing. I live down the road and used to catch the train tram everyday, i'm glad i don't have to anymore.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
hey nice pics umm hope you dont mind me putting this one in here couldent really find anywhere to post it

taken from the morning ton peninsular threw a telescope
i found it of the net on swellnet.com

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
hey nice pics umm hope you dont mind me putting this one in here couldent really find anywhere to post it

taken from the morning ton peninsular threw a telescope
i found it of the net on swellnet.com
Looks like global warming is true then! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts