SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duncan Ads Go Negative

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/annapolis/2006/05/duncan_criticizes_omalley_rema.html

Montgomery County Executive Doug Duncan put up two new television commercials in the Baltimore media market today, bashing Democratic primary rival Martin O'Malley for Baltimore's crime rate and its failing schools and taking on Republican Gov. Bob Ehrlich for his opposition to an assault weapons ban.

Duncan was the first gubernatorial candidate to buy air time earlier this month with ads introducing himself, as he walked past cardboard cutouts of O'Malley and Ehrlich. The cardboard cutouts are back in these new, 15-second ads, but this time Duncan's remarks are slightly more pointed.

"With many Baltimore schools failing, these guys have spent all their time fighting for political advantage," he says in one ad. In another he refers to alleged discrepancies in the city's crime rate reporting.

Even as he launched the ads, Duncan took umbrage at some remarks O'Malley made on the air in the Washington media market yesterday.

On NewsChannel 8's NewsTalk, O'Malley told host Bruce DePuyt that Montgomery schools suffer "from challenges like having kids lined up three deep in learning shacks when they should be in better classrooms."

O'Malley also took on Duncan's vaunted revitalization of Silver Spring, criticizing Duncan for saying "I understand urban blight, look what I've done for Silver Spring.".

"Well, with all due respect, he does not understand urban blight," O'Malley said. "Silver Spring was not urban blight."

Duncan's campaign lashed back in a news release saying that O'Malley had reneged on his promise not to attack his fellow Democrat in the campaign for governor.

"Today, the Mayor attacked Doug Duncan's leadership on education, despite Montgomery County's undisputed reputation as one of the best minority school districts in the nation," campaign manager Scott Arceneaux said. "This is a strange line of attack from someone who has schools on the state takeover list and allowed his system to nearly go bankrupt."

O'Malley aides characterized the release as laughable.

"Maybe it's time for the Doug Duncan campaign to take a deep breath and act a little more maturely," said O'Malley campaign manager Jonathan Epstein

By Phyllis Jordan | May 12, 2006; 9:33 AM ET | Category: Democrats , Governor's Race
Previous: Shifting into Campaign Mode | Next: The Ice Dancer Cometh

Some Reader Comments

Duncan has the benefit of schools in Bethesda and Potomac, where the household median income exceeds $300,000. What would the County's public school systems look like if Churchill, WJ, and Richard Montgomery were pulled from the list? Would Duncan want to brag about Kennedy's graduation rate or Wheaton's AP placement?

Duncan has had the luxury of some of the nation's richest zip codes that have been the central part of the county's school success. My family moved to Silver Spring from New York 19 years ago because of the schools. When Duncan started his second term, the schools in Silver Spring were so neglected that my parents pulled us from the public system and sent us to Catholic school.

If Duncan is going to be the education governor he better be willing to also support schools where the students don't have the luxury of driving their new Volvo to class.

Posted by: Mike | May 12, 2006 10:22 AM

Duncan is finally being seen for what he is, a loud mouthed opportunist. Doug is a perfect example of how a politician goes down for the third and hopefully final time.

Posted by: Steve | May 12, 2006 11:30 AM

Duncan certainly does have his favorite areas of MoCo. Is this someone that we want as Governor of Maryland. I don't think so.

Posted by: WL | May 12, 2006 12:12 PM

·
B-MORE LIKE US
250 Posts
It pisses me off how Duncan blasts Baltimore City Schools and its crime rate. Baltimore has made significant changes ever since O'Malley became mayor. In my opinion, O'Malley was a better mayor than Schaffer. The one thing I notice about politics is the opponent never talks about the positive changes that his opponent made. You never hear Duncan talk about how 3 of Baltimore High Schools are in the top ten of Maryland's best high schools, nor how city students are standing up to the fact that the state school board has not carried out a 2004 judgement to give Baltimore City schools $800,000,000. I'm furious at how someone who lives in a juresdiction among the rich uses their gain as a means of bashing another that isn't as wealthy. What awards has he won for his service. O'Malley on the other hand, is deemed as one of America's top 5 mayors and top young mayor. He has received government awards from Harvard, Boston College and other distinguished company. He is one of the new up and coming faces of the democratic party. He's also a likely 2012 Presidential candidate. Baltimoreans has never stood behind their mayor until now. He was elected by 91% of the vote and has yet to let his people down. I know he will be a governor that will serve all Maryland juresdictions.

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
It's hard for a mayor of any large, albeit struggling city to run for higher office. People are good at criticizing, but not praising the positive changes, partly because negative stigma has a great effect. You would either have to be extremely naive or extremely dumb to think a mayor's term would finish with Baltimore being *****-spack clean, regardless of party affiliation. They all have to deal with the social problems that have mounted for years. And then people reminisce the "good ole days" when, and almost verbatim people say this, Baltimore had almost 1 million people, you didn't have to lock your doors at night, yada yada, etc. etc. I know I'm on the brink of ranting, but seriously, I wish people would get a clue more often. I suppose Baltimore would be in better shape today were it not for the ass backwards racist policies, disproportionate suburban growth policies that facilitated the exodus of the middle class, and outsourcing of manufacturing jobs that contributed to the city's demise. Baltimore's schools will fail time and time again, mayor after mayor, until there are deep changes. The cycle of poverty is vicious, unforgiving, and a hellish battle. It's a battle Duncan did not fight. The concentration of poverty in MoCo doesn't come close to that in Baltimore.

·
B-MORE LIKE US
250 Posts
JAB323 said:
That's funny because O'Malley's a rich kid from Landon School.

Yes O'Malley is a rich kid, but instead of him ranting of how rich he was, he decided to serve people who weren't as privileged.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I do not like Duncan's negative ad campaign. This was an opportunity for him to publicize the significant economic plans he has for the state. Didn't he learn anything from the kilgore vs Kaine Campaigns in VA? At this rate I'm afraid we might have Erhlich again and everybody can see how the state as a whole has sat dead in the water and fallen backwards under his watch.

Although Montgomery County hasn't been this healthy in 40 years under Duncan’s watch, I can see some hair line fractures forming in an otherwise strong county, I also think he could have done better in economic development. The latino gang crap is getting out of control and I wish MoCo wasn't so liberal and in support of certain issues. For example how can a government give class credit to students for attending an illegal immigration rally? Should one also get class credit for attending a KKK rally? We need to get the focus off the social issues that don't increase funds but only cost tax payer money in this county spending spree and get back to economic development that will pull in large high quality companies that will maintain our economic power.

On the other hand while I don't have first hand experience on the changes happening in Baltimore, I have not heard O'Malley's economic development plans for the state. Duncan actually has some details on how he wants to make the state an economic power house.

·
B-MORE LIKE US
250 Posts
You can look at the economic development of Baltimore under O'Malley's watch and feel optimism of what he can spur to the state when he's elected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts