SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Freemasonry is a fraternal organisation that arose from obscure origins in the late 16th to early 17th century. Freemasonry now exists in various forms all over the world, with a membership estimated at around 5 million, including just under two million in the United States and around 480,000 in England, Scotland and Ireland. The various forms all share moral and metaphysical ideals, which include, in most cases, a constitutional declaration of belief in a Supreme Being.

The fraternity is administratively organised into Grand Lodges (or sometimes Orients), each of which governs its own jurisdiction, which consists of subordinate (or constituent) Lodges. Grand Lodges recognise each other through a process of landmarks and regularity. There are also appendant bodies, which are organisations related to the main branch of Freemasonry, but with their own independent administration.

Freemasonry uses the metaphors of operative stonemasons' tools and implements, against the allegorical backdrop of the building of King Solomon's Temple, to convey what has been described by both Masons and critics as "a system of morality veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbols."

Grand Lodge of England

Grand Lodge of Ireland

·
Banned
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Karachi Freemason Lodge

The Freemason's Lodge was originally built at the location of the present-day residential buildings of the Sindh Club. The 'Lodge Hope' (as it was called) had been founded in 1842 with the foundation for a building being laid down by Charles Napier in 1845 when he gave it a land grant. However, when the earlier location was acquired by the Sindh Club in 1914, the Lodge was moved to its present location on Strachan Road. The new building, known as the 'New Temple', was built in 1914 at a cost of Rs. 60,000 and was known to the local native residents as the Jadu-ghar (Sorcery house). By 1927, there were eight other masonic lodges in the subcontinent, all of which held regular meetings.

Architecturally, the building was modest in scale but was impressive nevertheless, because of its two-story front portico employing Ionic columns. There is no triangular pediment at the top, however, the flat roof is emphasized by a simple entablature with dentils and a mildly decorative parapet. The entrance portico is also the main stair hall, housing a grand timber staircase leading to the first floor. The ground floor has space for several offices while the main hall is located on the first floor. Several plaques in the stair hall record the names of members and their contributions to the original 'Lodge Hope'.

Currently this building is occupied by the offices of the Sind Wildlife Fund, whereas the main hall is being used as a library for the National History Museum.

·
Registered
708 Posts
George Washington Masonic National Memorial

House of the Temple Washington D.C.

Detroit Masonic Temple

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Indianapolis Masonic Temple.

I've always found them interesting, I've never stepped foot in a masonic temple, and I don't know what they do, but still. :)

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
If you're into masons, I'd recommend "Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol". I'm reading it now; very good!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Some of Indonesian Freemasonry Lodge
(Dutch : Vritmetselaarij, Arab : Al-Masunsyah)

Freemason Tegal Lodge

Freemason Semarang Lodge

Freemason Menteng Lodge - Jakarta

Theosophy Freemason Lodge - Jakarta

Freemason Mataram Lodge, Yogyakarta (Today: Kepatihan Malioboro)

Freemason Lodge, Central Jakarta

Freemasonry Adhuc Staat Lodge, Jakarta (today: Bappenas Building)

·
living in the past
61 Posts
Impressive! I like every single one of them with Detroit standing out as my favourite.

The one in my city is somewhat more modest:

LA VERTU by Rienk Mebius, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Malaysian Freemasonry Lodge

Johor Lodge, Johor Bahru, Malaysia

Perak Lodge, Perak, Malaysia

1 - 20 of 36 Posts