SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
We debunked the Wiki/Emporis height of 395' a few months ago. I think it was Steely Dan that used Google Earth to map it at about 349'. RM_NM may have even confirmed with the Northwestern Mutual question submissions inbox, as well. Can't recall.

I don't recall, and may have missed that conversation. (Or my feeble old man brain just flat-out doesn't remember.) In any case, 345'-350' seems quite plausible. That said, I don't think I would necessarily trust the accuracy of an elevation pulled off of google earth any more than I would a listed height on Wiki or Emporis. The answer from NML, on the other hand, is a much more reputable source, as it is likely info pulled from record drawings. Other than personally field measuring, record drawings will be the next most reliable source of info! (If someone could only get their hands on record drawings of 100E ... conversation for a different thread!)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Came across a building in Shenzhen China that reminded me of this project. Except for the height/overall size and the diagrid framework on the outside of the building, they look a little similar. Adding some more creatively designed buildings in Milwaukee makes the city more interesting. I hope this gets built. http://www.archdaily.com/786349/shenzhen-vc-pe-tower-studio-georges-hung

·
Registered
860 Posts
The project got a certificate of appropriateness today from the Historic Plan Commission. Next step would be to clear up some banner and stained glass items that can be solved with the staff. If everything goes well in the process it would be to City Plan Commission, ZND and the Common Council in March if the relatively smaller issues can be solved by HPC staff. I like this project.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
The project got a certificate of appropriateness today from the Historic Plan Commission. Next step would be to clear up some banner and stained glass items that can be solved with the staff. If everything goes well in the process it would be to City Plan Commission, ZND and the Common Council in March if the relatively smaller issues can be solved by HPC staff. I like this project.
Here is the link to the Journal-Sentinel coverage of what you were talking about:

Historic Preservation Commission approves Masonic Center hotel tower proposal

A proposal to convert downtown Milwaukee's Humphrey Scottish Rite Masonic Center into a 220-room hotel has won a key approval from the city's Historic Preservation Commission.

Commission members on Monday voted 4-1 to endorse the plans, which include a 14-story addition to the historic building.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/real-estate/commercial/2017/02/13/historic-preservation-commission-approves-masonic-center-hotel-tower-proposal/97853930/

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Any word on the status of this? Has it gone in front of the common counsel yet?
The upcoming Historic Preservation Committee meeting has two items related to this project, both involving the stained glass windows on the structure. I would assume this means it hasn't made it to the common council yet because it would seem it is still trying to get out of the preservation committee.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
This is a subscriber only article from the Business Journal so maybe someone with access can see if there is a more detailed timeline in the article. With that being said it sounds like there is a pretty good chance that this project might actually be moving forwards.

Hotel in downtown Masonic Center could advance after decision on stained-glass windows

​Months of discussion may have generated a compromise between a hotel developer and Milwaukee historic preservation planners over the fate of about 20 stained glass windows in the downtown Humphrey Scottish Rite Masonic Center.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2017/06/12/hotel-in-downtown-masonic-center-could-advance.html

·
Registered
581 Posts
This is a subscriber only article from the Business Journal so maybe someone with access can see if there is a more detailed timeline in the article. With that being said it sounds like there is a pretty good chance that this project might actually be moving forwards.
Projected opening delayed a few months to mid-2019, but "the business plan for us doesn't change just because some time has passed" is the company line.

A proposed compromise involves keeping three windows in place, with the rest being displayed elsewhere in the building such as elevator lobby, bar, etc. Oddly enough the building dates back to 1889 but the windows were added in the 1930s-1950's, so removing them would actually align with the original design.

·
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hey, if this project can make it through the approval process, and it sounds like they are doing everything the can to get there, this will be a huge win for the neighborhood. This project, while smaller in scale, could really make quite an impact in the vibrancy of the area. The building would be highly visible from Cathedral Square.

·
Just a Source of Opinion
3,245 Posts
I STILL cannot believe that a major project, and all of its benefits, was held up over 20 friggin pieces of stained glass. That truly makes me SMH.
It is a bit annoying in cases like this. However, it's these same stringent guidelines and watchful eyes of the various committes involved that has helped Milwaukee retain so much of it's architectural and built history. (Especially when compared to other US cities not in the NE)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
However, it's these same stringent guidelines and watchful eyes of the various committes involved that has helped Milwaukee retain so much of it's architectural and built history. (Especially when compared to other US cities not in the NE)
Exactly. It's worth it, IMO.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
So I am assuming it sounds like this project finally cleared the Historic Preservation Committee. I believe this would mean it would still have to make it through the Zoning Committee, the Plan Commission, and the City Council correct? Just trying to get a feel about how much longer this could take. If it had to clear all of these I would assume it would be at least another two months before it would be fully approved meaning a spring start to construction at the earliest.

·
Registered
860 Posts
So I am assuming it sounds like this project finally cleared the Historic Preservation Committee. I believe this would mean it would still have to make it through the Zoning Committee, the Plan Commission, and the City Council correct? Just trying to get a feel about how much longer this could take. If it had to clear all of these I would assume it would be at least another two months before it would be fully approved meaning a spring start to construction at the earliest.
If the plan makes it to the CPC meeting on June 26th and ZND on July 6th and the Common Council on July 11th that would be the earliest. I would guess that it won't happen that fast. I would think that it would make the CPC on July 17th, ZND on July 25th and the Common Council on July 31st. That would most likely lead to an August start to the project.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
An august start? Who do you think we are, Seattle? In all seriousness, do they have the funding for this? Are they requesting tax-credits or city money of any kind? Is there any NIMBYs starting to come out? I'm cautiously optimistic, but this being Milwaukee - I have a feeling a Spring 2018 start seems more likely. I really do hope this hotel happens as they've designed it. Will be a really great infill project with an aesthetic MKE is currently missing.

·
Registered
932 Posts
It is a bit annoying in cases like this. However, it's these same stringent guidelines and watchful eyes of the various committes involved that has helped Milwaukee retain so much of it's architectural and built history. (Especially when compared to other US cities not in the NE)
I'm not sure how I feel about that. Let's just say this project did not get built simply over 20 pieces of stained glass. What would the opinion be then on this forum? While I realize the need to sometimes try to preserve buildings from the past, you must also look ahead to the future and not let the past impede that progress. To me, that's exactly what was happening w/this project. 20 lousy stain glass panels had the potential to derail this entire project and to me, that's ludicrous.

·
Just a Source of Opinion
3,245 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about that. Let's just say this project did not get built simply over 20 pieces of stained glass. What would the opinion be then on this forum? While I realize the need to sometimes try to preserve buildings from the past, you must also look ahead to the future and not let the past impede that progress. To me, that's exactly what was happening w/this project. 20 lousy stain glass panels had the potential to derail this entire project and to me, that's ludicrous.
I don't think the project would EVER have been de-railed because of the stained glass debate. It's simply something that added a little time to the overall timeline.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Besides, there's plenty of other development opportunity in MKE. If you're going to use an existing (historic?) building in a new development, I would say to use as much of the original structure as is humanly possible, but of course, build any and everything you want on top of/in addition as well!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Besides, there's plenty of other development opportunity in MKE. If you're going to use an existing (historic?) building in a new development, I would say to use as much of the original structure as is humanly possible, but of course, build any and everything you want on top of/in addition as well!
Fair, but none of the stained glass windows (or any part of the exterior of this building, for that matter) are original!

41 - 60 of 128 Posts